PDA

View Full Version : cs1.6 + linux server on a xbox

flavoraid
10-18-2006, 10:21 AM
can anyone explain how to run a 1.6 server?

im a major linux noob :P I configured gentoo on a pc once using a tutorial I found but past softmods im lost when it comes to modding xbox's and such.

thanks

flavoraid
11-01-2006, 08:57 PM
mm is there any way to play xbox games while u have linux installed or nah?

Lestat
11-03-2006, 07:31 AM
yes as far as i know you can play games when linux is installed. i THINK but i cant recall.

but there isnt a need to have a dedicated linux install you can just run it as an application like i do with GentooX.

and CS 1.6 will run like a big pile of crap on the xbox.
first of all you would need the 128meg modded xbox like i have. and possibly the 1.4ghz cpu

see it has to operate and handle linux, then it has to run and handle the 1.6 server. which is too tasting for the xbox. and too much ram being used.

what would be needed is just the Linux kernel and base core with the 1.6 server as its own stand alone application. and it should allow you to input commands via the CLI.

xbox-scene forums is the one and only place that i would trust to have the crew on hand who would be able to do this.

i dont even know if it can be done ?

flavoraid
12-21-2006, 01:49 PM
my friend tried -- failed

anyways what would a 1.4ghz/128mb xbox motherboard cost now?

nn_step
12-21-2006, 01:55 PM
my friend tried -- failed

anyways what would a 1.4ghz/128mb xbox motherboard cost now?
probably more than a 3Ghz Conroe

flavoraid
12-21-2006, 09:55 PM
wow.. lol

bouc
12-22-2006, 05:40 AM
I did it some times ago

if you want to be able to play xbox games, you'll have a problem. The linux root fs is in this case in a file on drive E, you'll have really bad drive access rate.

I had to install cromwell (in my modchip) and use the whole hard drive for linux only. In this case, my old clan was able to train on it ;)

Here is what I did :
I plugged one more ide connector on the original ide ribbon, hook a Y molex with a dual switch, with that, I am able to choose wich of the two hard drive will be "on" and wich will be "off"

I have a modchip with cromwell on it, and a hacked bios in the tsop with a switch to choose between tsop and modchip.

both switchs on -> hard drive with linux, and modchip on (cromwell)
both switchs off -> hard drive with "original" xbox system + hacked bios to run Xbox media center and games ;)

if you have any questions, ask me ;)

you'll find a bunch of tuto on internet to get a cs server up and running ;)

++