PDA

View Full Version : Arctic Silver 5 on MOSFETS : recommended?

tiro_uspsss
10-17-2006, 08:30 PM
is it a good idea to put Arctic Silver 5 on mobo mosfets?

JPeitzman
10-17-2006, 08:39 PM
I don't know that it would hold the sinks on since I don't think they are attached. You might have to get a thermal adhesive. Also you might want to consider something like AS Cremique, since it is non-conductive, just in case a sink slips, some leaks out, or anything happens. Some one who has tried this might want to comment, this is just what I think. I guess it could help though, those are hot little buggers and it could help a bit to cool them off. MOSFET's are typically made to run hot though, they aren't really bothered to much by heat unless it is a very very large amount of heat. In then end it is up to you, but I don't know if I would really worry about it that much. I would AS5 your NB before your MOSFET's.

Exedy
10-18-2006, 01:38 AM
yes its not necessary as5 on mosfets...just a small sink is more than enough

Richard Dower
10-18-2006, 07:17 AM
I highly recomend these: http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/michcokit.html

Modzilla
10-18-2006, 12:45 PM
i use arctic silver thermal adhesive to permanently mount bga ramsinks and little heatsinks that i cut up from bigger ones onto the power mosfets. this helps keep them cool when you are running your cpu at a voltage above stock. as5 is not a permanent bond, and so the sinks might come off once heated, which could be bad, as it could short something out. as5 by itself wont do anything, and any heatsink will require some sort of thermal interface material.

Zardokk
10-18-2006, 12:50 PM
Arctic Silver shouldn't be used on any small components like that. AS5 is capacitive, which means it will fry your components if it touches a board just about anywhere. Get yourself some Microcool Mosfet sinks (http://jab-tech.com/Microcool-Mosfet-Sink-Black-pr-3323.html). They're uber cheap and come with their own thermal pads. I dunno if you can get ahold of those mosfet sinks in Australia, but if you can, definately get some. If you really wanted to, you could buy some bulk copper, cut it into tiny blocks, get some thermal tape, and make/mount mosfet sinks completely by yourself.

Steensen
10-18-2006, 02:56 PM
I've used AS5 underneath my Mosfet waterblocks before, without any problems.

For those mosfets I couldn't put a water block on, then I just put mount some ordinary GFX-RAM sinks, of what ever kind I have "in stock", since the sinks increased cooling effect, no matter how cheap BS sinks, wil give cooler mosfets.

But cooler mosfets "only" becomes a problem, when they reach a temp. close to the soldering materials melting temperature, which you won't reach, unless u are clocking EXTREME (like with LN2), and with extreme hot CPU's (Like Prescott and Smithsfield) that is capable of drawing an 80A+ current from mosfets at OC, where the CPU socket is likely to fail before.

chicconet
11-04-2006, 05:42 AM
Based on my experience Microcool Chipsinks are a good choice. If you want superior cooling performance I sugget you to remove the pad under the base of ChipSink and replace with the Thermattach T412 (http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5263/thr-31/Microcool_Chomerics_Thermattach_T412_Thermally_Con ductive_Tape.html), whith a good ventilation you will be more than satified.