PDA

View Full Version : No need to repost this, especially "there", so just keep it here

[XC] serlv
10-17-2006, 04:56 PM
an email I got, today, after reporting a post that I was highly offended by yesterday...

"Scott,

Thank your for your concern. I have locked the threads that Dagorath chose
to pollute. We have considered banning him, but we could do nothing to
stop him from registering under a new name and email address and posting
more offensive things on our forums. It's actually easier to let him
continue using the Dagorath name instead of trying to figure out if he's
devised a new name. His posts will be edited or removed when the situation
has died down.

Thank you for participating.

Nels
---------------------------------------------------------
World Community Grid"

I take it that is from nelsoc. So they are on it, somewhat.

njkid32
10-17-2006, 05:05 PM
Hmmm nice but all they need to do is an IP ban and that would fix this.. Or global ignore so when he posts he is the only one who sees it:) I like that better:)

meshmesh
10-17-2006, 05:11 PM
Hmmm nice but all they need to do is an IP ban and that would fix this.. Or global ignore so when he posts he is the only one who sees it:) I like that better:)
I think th problem with IP ban is that IPs are set dynamicly. All he needs to do is reset his router.
He will figure out the global ignore very soon. However, anyone is welcome to put him on his ignore list if this facility is available.

...We have considered banning him, but we could do nothing to
stop him from registering under a new name and email address....
I wonder, would it be reasonable to point to them the ISP email solution. After all their project is different than all the other BOINC project and they can at least investigate such a policy for future use. When they ban someone it will cost them money each time they want to start a new personality. But it will also cost IBM a few thousands a year. Wonder whether we could suggest it to them though.

Movieman
10-17-2006, 05:11 PM
an email I got, today, after reporting a post that I was highly offended by yesterday...

"Scott,

Thank your for your concern. I have locked the threads that Dagorath chose
to pollute. We have considered banning him, but we could do nothing to
stop him from registering under a new name and email address and posting
more offensive things on our forums. It's actually easier to let him
continue using the Dagorath name instead of trying to figure out if he's
devised a new name. His posts will be edited or removed when the situation
has died down.

Thank you for participating.

Nels
---------------------------------------------------------
World Community Grid"

I take it that is from nelsoc. So they are on it, somewhat.
Scott: If you can, reply to nelsoc with this:
Sir:
Thank you for your quick reply.
I understand your concern, but a ban of Dagorath with a public announcement of such would send a message to the entire forum populace that WCG isn't sitting back and accepting this behavior.
If he takes another alias, that can be dealt with at that time.
Please consider this course of action.
Sincerely,
Scott the Dagorath Hater!:D

meshmesh
10-17-2006, 05:18 PM
Or to meat them in the middle: "...would be appreciated if a moderator should at least make a stetement saying that this behaviour is not acceptable..."
We think that poeple need a clarification about what is acdeptable and not, then spell it out. The message cannot be stronger that just saying it plainly. I rather not be argumentative with them.

However, to be constructive, I would like to try to offer them a solution to the problem (see my post above). Sure IBM knows about how to do this, but maybe not the person involved directly with forum. We can point them out and let them investigate and decide.

We can even combine both in a single responce. What do yo think?

njkid32
10-17-2006, 05:23 PM
I think th problem with IP ban is that IPs are set dynamicly. All he needs to do is reset his router.
He will figure out the global ignore very soon. However, anyone is welcome to put him on his ignore list if this facility is available.

I wonder, would it be reasonable to point to them the ISP email solution. After all their project is different than all the other BOINC project and they can at least investigate such a policy for future use. When they ban someone it will cost them money each time they want to start a new personality. But it will also cost IBM a few thousands a year. Wonder whether we could suggest it to them though.

Well you ban a range of IP's you research which IP's that he has logged in from and ban them as well. This works trust me;)

Weedsqueezer
10-17-2006, 05:41 PM
................I wonder, would it be reasonable to point to them the ISP email solution. After all their project is different than all the other BOINC project and they can at least investigate such a policy for future use. When they ban someone it will cost them money each time they want to start a new personality. But it will also cost IBM a few thousands a year. Wonder whether we could suggest it to them though.
The problem with the ISP solution is, with about any ISP (using mine as an example) they allow you what 5-10 addresses? the only thing you do when you've exhausted your allotment is use your original email login to delete the secondary accounts and just like that you have 10 new avenues for pollution.

second point i have is they aren't gonna ban this guy because it is too much work to click a BAN button? Sounds like political smoke to me.. HEY eric how long does it take to BAN someone, really? I like your idea about the global ignore...just picture him...slamming away on his keyboard crying louder than ever that noone will talk to him... HAHAHAHA that is killer!

[XC] Adywebb
10-17-2006, 05:42 PM
Scott: If you can, reply to nelsoc with this:
Sir:
Thank you for your quick reply.
I understand your concern, but a ban of Dagorath with a public announcement of such would send a message to the entire forum populace that WCG isn't sitting back and accepting this behavior.
If he takes another alias, that can be dealt with at that time.
Please consider this course of action.
Sincerely,
Scott the Dagorath Hater!:D
Dave, I too sent an email, and got a similar reply - I already sent a reply to them earlier requesting exactly the same thing.

I was going to wait for their reply before letting you know this - I will post the outcome.

In the meantime here is the apology by Didactylos recently posted at WCG: http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread?thread=9310

Can I suggest we take this in good faith and put the matter regarding him to rest at this time? - I believe you may loose the support you have gained if you reject it and give him a hard time.

Bloody_Sorcerer
10-17-2006, 05:42 PM
why not ban his ISP and kindly inform everybody with the same ISP exactly who is responsible for their plight? :):)

Weedsqueezer
10-17-2006, 05:44 PM
FINALLY good bye yahoo! HAHA or imagine MSN.com! that would make a splash

njkid32
10-17-2006, 05:44 PM
The problem with the ISP solution is, with about any ISP (using mine as an example) they allow you what 5-10 addresses? the only thing you do when you've exhausted your allotment is use your original email login to delete the secondary accounts and just like that you have 10 new avenues for pollution.

second point i have is they aren't gonna ban this guy because it is too much work to click a BAN button? Sounds like political smoke to me.. HEY eric how long does it take to BAN someone, really? I like your idea about the global ignore...just picture him...slamming away on his keyboard crying louder than ever that noone will talk to him... HAHAHAHA that is killer!

Do you wanna find out?:rofl: I could do it in seconds:)

Weedsqueezer
10-17-2006, 05:45 PM
Whoa Whoa Fella, I Respect Yo Authoritay!!!!!!!!!

WesM63
10-17-2006, 05:52 PM
I bet eric has one of of them "easy" buttons, big red circular button that says "BAN" on it ;)

Movieman
10-17-2006, 06:00 PM
I'd like to post this in his apology thread:
Thank you!
I'd like to extend a hand of friendship from my team and also invite you to come and see what we do.
I promise it won't be boring and I am sure we can both gain from an exchange of information.
We may work in slightly different ways but I assure you, 0ur goals are the same: To help a worthwhile project.
Please consider my offer.
Thank you.

meshmesh
10-17-2006, 06:01 PM
I just read the post on the WCG. Should team captain(s) issue a one liner reply and put this to rest?

Movieman
10-17-2006, 06:02 PM
Do you wanna find out?:rofl: I could do it in seconds:)
Nah, it would take you at least 3 days..
First go out for a butt..Then walk the dog..Then a coffee..then go and take care of the GF..Then 2 days at the chiropracter..then..:D

[XC] leviathan18
10-17-2006, 06:05 PM
he has a special keyboard instead of win button says BAN

meshmesh
10-17-2006, 06:08 PM
MM You beat me to the post.
My comments:
a) need to clearly state "appology accepted"
b) need to be done in the name of the team.

So maybe:

Appology accepted.
I'd like to extend a hand of friendship from my team and also invite you to come and and see what we do.
I promise it won't be boring and I am sure we can both gain from an exchange of information.
We may work in slightly different ways but I assure you, are goals are the same: To help this worthwhile project.
Thank you.
On behalf of XS
levi or haltec

And move on.

njkid32
Nah, it would take you at least 3 days..
First go out for a butt..Then walk the dog..Then a coffee..then go and take care of the GF..Then 2 days at the chiropracter..then..:D

Hey be nice I had bad news at the docs today so I might be doing all this from a hospital bed again:(

Damn that was a little sappy....

[XC] leviathan18
please MM post it

Movieman
10-17-2006, 06:12 PM
Done..;)
sheeet, I haven't been that diplomatic in years!
This crossed my mind when I saw him write that he wasn't forced to make the apology:
I can see someone saying to him:
"They do a million points a day and if you lose that team I'll have your balls on a plate for supper"

meshmesh
10-17-2006, 06:16 PM
Well you ban a range of IP's you research which IP's that he has logged in from and ban them as well. This works trust me;)
I understand what you are saying. It is possible to ban a range but then there well be casulatities. Say I am sudent who is attached from the campus dorm. What happens when the range is banned? Parts or all the campus goes with it together with all the other participants?

It appears to be a difficult problem.

njkid32
10-17-2006, 06:16 PM
Yeah guys I had only 2 buttons changes on my keyboard.. Dont really need the ctrl button I think this one is more useful:rofl:

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/86/keys004mediumiw7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

A novice
10-17-2006, 06:23 PM
I certainly won't accept his apology let's remember who started this it was DiDactylos who as community adviser should know better. Dagorath then joined in.
I am seriously thinking about pulling out of WCG while he is still community adviser. You are very forgiving unlike me

Movieman
10-17-2006, 06:27 PM
I certainly won't accept his apology let's remember who started this it was DiDactylos who as community adviser should know better. Dagorath then joined in.
I am seriously thinking about pulling out of WCG while he is still community adviser. You are very forgiving unlike me
My friend, I'm the most vengeful pri*k you ever met, trust me on that!
This team and the people in it, mean more to me than any app that exists.
That said, this is worthwhile and I'm here to stay. To leave gives Dagorath his victory and I'd rather leave MY balls on a plate than do that.
Stay with us pal, ignore the little sh*t in life. It's dealt with and over.
Tomorrow the sun will come out just as it always has.;)

Movieman
10-17-2006, 06:29 PM
Yeah guys I had only 2 buttons changes on my keyboard.. Dont really need the ctrl button I think this one is more useful:rofl:

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/86/keys004mediumiw7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
Movieman giggles, clicks the ctrl-ctrl-3 on the keyboard, opens the ftp app, makes a few changes to download speeds to POINT2K......:rolleyes:

rob725
10-17-2006, 07:23 PM
C'mon guys; it was a pretty good apology, accepting it was the right thing to do. If it happens again, that's another story and everyone will know it. We should let nels off the hook for now as well, sympathize with the problem of dealing with psycopathic trolls and we will be watching as well. Let him know that if dragurass does not go away, our admins would be glad to help them with an effective banning approach as they have experience with taking out the garbage.

STEvil
10-17-2006, 08:03 PM
I say call it even. The future isnt too far off ;)

Movieman
10-17-2006, 08:17 PM
C'mon guys; it was a pretty good apology, accepting it was the right thing to do. If it happens again, that's another story and everyone will know it. We should let nels off the hook for now as well, sympathize with the problem of dealing with psycopathic trolls and we will be watching as well. Let him know that if dragurass does not go away, our admins would be glad to help them with an effective banning approach as they have experience with taking out the garbage.
QFT!:fact:
Very well said pal!:clap:
Let's forget this crap, it had a start,middle and now an end.
Lets get positive! WE have some great brains here, lots better than mine!
Put your thinking caps on(50's expression!:D ) and lets figure a way to get another 2.75 million points a day!
I know it isn't going to be easy but then what thats worthwhile is?
Just some random thoughts:
Anyone know a school principle or know someone who does know one?
Business: Some connections to a business with 2,5,10,50,100 machines?
College: Have an affair with one of your female profs? Tell her you need a favor!:D
Friends: A great source. You fix their machines when they screw them up. Payback time.
Small business: Do you do formats,etc for people? Offer to take $20.00 off the price if they will help out. money is a great motivator. Then set it as a service and at 75% cpu..Keeps peace in the house/(double check the cooling while you have the machine,don't want an unhappy cruncher.
There's thousands of idea's. Use your heads. Real smart guys here.
Toss out some ideas.

rob725
10-17-2006, 09:20 PM
College: Have an affair with one of your female profs? Tell her you need a favor!:D

Yeah, but I don't think she feels like she owes me one; more like the other way around. :D

Movieman
10-17-2006, 09:22 PM
Yeah, but I don't think she feels like she owes me one; more like the other way around. :D
If she's still a Prof, she may think you may talk, not that you ever would of course!;)
And she's probably right..:p:

rob725
10-17-2006, 09:30 PM
I knew you'd want to blackmail her; slavedriver!

Movieman
10-17-2006, 09:36 PM
I knew you'd want to blackmail her; slavedriver!
:hehe: or maybe revisit former days and :bananal:...........:wasntme:

Jose
10-17-2006, 09:46 PM
A good a apology my foot. He is lying for starters. The Administrators at WCG had a talk with him and asked him to use better judgement and an apology was highly recommended.
So he is being forced to apologize.
So that is a half assed apology.

But nevertheless it is an apology. I have the feeling the word has been spread that for the first time a moderator/advisor has apologized to a team. I think we should leave that thread as clean as possible, it makes for a better trophy.

That said: now and for ever we must be more vigilant.

As to DragonAss: I am searching with a friend the legal liability of a MB Owner Administyrator when told that a poster is libeling/slandering and is shown that the libel/slander is occurring and they do not are more proactive ( big word for they do not ban the :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::b anana: and his IP from the message board.)

Movieman
10-17-2006, 09:56 PM
A good a apology my foot. He is lying for starters. The Administrators at WCG had a talk with him and asked him to use better judgement and an apology was highly recommended.

But nevertheless it is an apology. I have the feeling the word has been spread that for the first time a moderator/advisor has apologized to a team. I think we should leave that thread as clean as possible, it makes for a better trophy.

That said: now and for ever we must be more vigilant.

As to DragonAss: I am searching with a friend the legal liability of a MB Owner Administyrator when told that a posters is libeling/slandering and is shown that the libel/slander is occurring and they do not are more proactive ( big word for they do not ban the :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::b anana: and his IP from the message board.)
I agree that someone told him that he went too far and to apologise.
I don't care what their motives were although I can guess.
As to forum owners being liable legally, recently in Germany a court held that a forum owner was liable for what happenned on his/her site. Now thats in Germany and not the US so I doubt it would happen here unless you were prepared to go all the way up to the SC with it and that is if they would hear it. There's more issues with that thinking but lets let it go. He apologised, we accepted as a team and lets move on.
Show them with numbers who and what we are and if we're damned lucky one of these WU we crunch might help someone's kid some day.
I see sick kids and as tough as I am, that grabs my heart.
There's a much higher purpose to what we do than the points or beating easynews.
Thats how we entertain ourselves while our machines do the important work.
;)

Jose
10-17-2006, 10:03 PM
I am searching the law in Puerto Rico. Nice legal system you gringos have: Since I live in Puerto Rico any slanderer/libeler that I sue has to be sued in US District Court BUT the Federal Judge has to use the legal standras for slander/libel set in Puerto Rico.

I am jut searching. Let's say I am preparing some background work should dragonass or any of his allies do bad things again.

Jose
10-17-2006, 10:15 PM
PS to Dave: You know all the crap has to do with the performance the team has done in the last month.
Many of the teams that were smirking are not that smug anymore. That includes Didactylos team and others.

XS is using standard Boinc ( You were a genius when you asked all of us to go to non optimized) are crunching under a triple quorum and yet, we are moving faster than any team. Specially since we are one of the smaller teams there,

That must hurt the bad people egos.

One positive thing: I have noticed d the majority of the major competitors , are supportive and are celebrating the fact more science is being done, even if the XS Machine leaves tracks on them. And I have the strange feeling the two huge monsters at the top are getting ready for a battle for the ages and the WCG administrators are salivating at the number of WUS they will be able to process for the scientists.

I wish I could rub that in David Bakers face but that is another thread and issue.. [Specially since I think why he came back to the MB to sweet talk us]

I am happy: I just helped nab another sleazy scumbag pedo wannabe.... ( Human Shields Rock!!!!)

Movieman
10-17-2006, 10:27 PM
PS to Dave: You know all the crap has to do with the performance the team has done in the last month.
Many of the teams that were smirking are not that smug anymore. That includes Didactylos team and others.

XS is using standard Boinc ( You were a genius when you asked all of us to go to non optimized) are crunching under a triple quorum and yet, we are moving faster than any team. Specially since we are one of the smaller teams there,

That must hurt the bad people egos.

One positive thing: I have noticed d the majority of the major competitors , are supportive and are celebrating the fact more science is being done, even if the XS Machine leaves tracks on them. And I have the strange feeling the two huge monsters at the top are getting ready for a battle for the ages and the WCG administrators are salivating at the number of WUS they will be able to process for the scientists.

I wish I could rub that in David Bakers face but that is another thread and issue..

I am happy: I just helped nab another sleazy scumbag pedo wannabe.... ( Human Shields Rock!!!!)
A lot of what you say is 100% true. Keep in mind though that suing The World Computing Grid even if they deserved it would be a lose/lose proposition.
No good could come from it my friend. This is why I offerred this guy to come here. I want him to see the threads in the sections where the talk is of building machines that the general populace can't even imagine.
I think what we "won" here is more than meets the eye. For whatever reason, they have stepped back and this mod has toned down his mouth,
This is the time for patience.( and sleep for me!)

meshmesh
10-17-2006, 11:16 PM
With all due respect I disagree. Calm down then tell me what is the alternative. My thoughts:

The guy is a volunteer, same as you and me. I cannot force you to do anything if you don't want to. You will just walk. So WCG better have someone else standing by with same experience and motivation and be willing to deal with the ripple effect this may have among fellow volunteers.

He is an asset to the project irrespective of his short comings (I know I have a lot) and he is positively contributing to the joint effort and for that he earns my admiration and gratitude same as all those who are crunching for it.

If someone thinks that this project is his own baby, there is nothing wrong with that and I wish there is more of him. Yes he may be a bit over enthusiastic, over defensive, and to put it mildly lacks sound analytical reasoning, but you take the whole package.

If for some reason he had an incorrect notion about what XS is about, I understand where it came from. Those a_holes have done a good job at that. Looking at the sequence of events you will observe that he did not start a thread to defame XS's name. He responded without thinking to a post in the thread and his own misconception became visible. He obviously had it all along. He just slipped, opened his mouth and let it out. In a small way I am glad he did, but I would rather he did it privately.

It is my own opinion that by engaging in an open debate in an attempt to correct his wrong ideas we gave Draginass (sp?) an opportunity to exercise his favourite mud wallowing hobby. Things would inevitably go down from there very quickly once this guy opens his mouth.

Would have preferred that if possible to take him on the side and have a quite reasoning with him. Seeing the faulty logic, he would do the right thing all by himself without the need to involve anyone else. At least would have liked to give it a try. Had he shown a lack of cooperation or malicious intent, then alternative action is warranted. I know that this may sounds pretty strange to some, but I like to look forward a bit. This is a long term relationship with the project, and we are here to stay.

As to the apology, I wonder: would it be better if he came out and said: "I am hereby apologizing because they told me that the situation needs to.."? No. That would be totally useless to me. Yes they had a talk with him, and he had probably figured out all by himself that he probably made a mistake to start with, although I suspect he may not exactly know why. They asked him to do the right thing, and he being a man, admitted his mistake and posted his version of an apology. Thank you very much, we also are mature enough to accept an apology.

Yes, it is half hearted and semi accurate. I am not surprised a bit. I see this around me all the time. Unfortunately many people think that if they apologize sincerely it belittles them; little do they know. So what do you want to do, change his personality? Give him a break and let him revaluate his misconceptions. I won't be surprised to see him on this forum soon asking for clarifications trying to understand where his logic went wrong. I have faith.

But nevertheless it is an apology. I have the feeling the word has been spread that for the first time a moderator/advisor has apologized to a team. I think we should leave that thread as clean as possible, it makes for a better trophy.....
???

As to DragonAss: I am searching with a friend the legal liability of a MB Owner Administyrator when told that a poster is libeling/slandering and is shown that the libel/slander is occurring and they do not are more proactive ( big word for they do not ban the :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::b anana: and his IP from the message board.)
Is this the best course of action? Do they really have a solution that will not interfere with other participants. I know nothing about IPs, etc... but I would rather hear that a friend is conducting a search to find our whether there is a viable solution to the problem. If such a solution exists, and is pointed out to them, and not implemented, then OK.

rob725
10-17-2006, 11:34 PM
If you look hard enough for enemies, you will surely find them.

STEvil
10-18-2006, 12:18 AM
I dont believe legal action would be a positive way to go..

Fr3ak
10-18-2006, 01:52 AM
Movieman giggles, clicks the ctrl-ctrl-3 on the keyboard, opens the ftp app, makes a few changes to download speeds to POINT2K......:rolleyes:

Which reminds me that you wanted to create something ;)
Or more precise that I wanted you creating something :P

About that :banana::banana::banana::banana:bag, just ban him. If he posts bs again, ban him again. Its just a single button to press, so not much work and no matter what name he registers, bs is bs, so not hard to spot.

carl.h
10-18-2006, 02:40 AM
Didactylos apologised......Now if that had been Jose, MovieMan or me (or others) and we believed we were correct would it have happened ?

Answer : No

It`s no easy thing saying your wrong no matter who you are and on there you`re pronouncing it to the World. Please allow him some credibility until proven otherwise. Accept the apology and move on, go get Easy News .....maybe as a Christmas present ?

As for Dagorath, there isn`t a problem really he`s shown to the DC world what and who he is. He has no credibility left, no one will ever listen to him again, HE IS DESTROYED.

So let`s all let it go and get back to where we were last week, please !:toast:

Jose
10-18-2006, 03:12 AM
A lot of what you say is 100% true. Keep in mind though that suing The World Computing Grid even if they deserved it would be a lose/lose proposition.
No good could come from it my friend. This is why I offerred this guy to come here. I want him to see the threads in the sections where the talk is of building machines that the general populace can't even imagine.
I think what we "won" here is more than meets the eye. For whatever reason, they have stepped back and this mod has toned down his mouth,
This is the time for patience.( and sleep for me!)

I am doing ressearch. I am not suing them. But believe me the ressearch is needed for many reasons. It doesnt harm anyone.
Man I am a hot head , I am not dumb. And I promised one of the bosses That I was going to be disciplined: The fact that the kid threatened with going aftrer my bolas If I didnt helped :rofl:
As to patience I have a lot. Just ask the scumbag I was hunting and tracking for 1 year. :)

Jose
10-18-2006, 03:15 AM
I dont believe legal action would be a positive way to go..

I am doing research people. Since it covers the issue of slander/libel I am doing an all inclussive ressearch.
So lets have this clear: I will not threaten anyone . I will be disciplined and avoid posting as much s I can there,

But please allow me my research. :)

Jose
10-18-2006, 03:16 AM
Didactylos apologised......Now if that had been Jose, MovieMan or me (or others) and we believed we were correct would it have happened ?

Answer : No

It`s no easy thing saying your wrong no matter who you are and on there you`re pronouncing it to the World. Please allow him some credibility until proven otherwise. Accept the apology and move on, go get Easy News .....maybe as a Christmas present ?

As for Dagorath, there isn`t a problem really he`s shown to the DC world what and who he is. He has no credibility left, no one will ever listen to him again, HE IS DESTROYED.

So let`s all let it go and get back to where we were last week, please !:toast:

Yeas go and crunch!!!!!

Oh I am framing the apology.....it makes for a nice trophy.

Jose
10-18-2006, 03:30 AM
With all due respect I disagree. Calm down then tell me what is the alternative. My thoughts:

The guy is a volunteer, same as you and me. I cannot force you to do anything if you don't want to. You will just walk. So WCG better have someone else standing by with same experience and motivation and be willing to deal with the ripple effect this may have among fellow volunteers.

He is an asset to the project irrespective of his short comings (I know I have a lot) and he is positively contributing to the joint effort and for that he earns my admiration and gratitude same as all those who are crunching for it.

If someone thinks that this project is his own baby, there is nothing wrong with that and I wish there is more of him. Yes he may be a bit over enthusiastic, over defensive, and to put it mildly lacks sound analytical reasoning, but you take the whole package.

If for some reason he had an incorrect notion about what XS is about, I understand where it came from. Those a_holes have done a good job at that. Looking at the sequence of events you will observe that he did not start a thread to defame XS's name. He responded without thinking to a post in the thread and his own misconception became visible. He obviously had it all along. He just slipped, opened his mouth and let it out. In a small way I am glad he did, but I would rather he did it privately.

It is my own opinion that by engaging in an open debate in an attempt to correct his wrong ideas we gave Draginass (sp?) an opportunity to exercise his favourite mud wallowing hobby. Things would inevitably go down from there very quickly once this guy opens his mouth.

Would have preferred that if possible to take him on the side and have a quite reasoning with him. Seeing the faulty logic, he would do the right thing all by himself without the need to involve anyone else. At least would have liked to give it a try. Had he shown a lack of cooperation or malicious intent, then alternative action is warranted. I know that this may sounds pretty strange to some, but I like to look forward a bit. This is a long term relationship with the project, and we are here to stay.

As to the apology, I wonder: would it be better if he came out and said: "I am hereby apologizing because they told me that the situation needs to.."? No. That would be totally useless to me. Yes they had a talk with him, and he had probably figured out all by himself that he probably made a mistake to start with, although I suspect he may not exactly know why. They asked him to do the right thing, and he being a man, admitted his mistake and posted his version of an apology. Thank you very much, we also are mature enough to accept an apology.

Yes, it is half hearted and semi accurate. I am not surprised a bit. I see this around me all the time. Unfortunately many people think that if they apologize sincerely it belittles them; little do they know. So what do you want to do, change his personality? Give him a break and let him revaluate his misconceptions. I won't be surprised to see him on this forum soon asking for clarifications trying to understand where his logic went wrong. I have faith.

???

Is this the best course of action? Do they really have a solution that will not interfere with other participants. I know nothing about IPs, etc... but I would rather hear that a friend is conducting a search to find our whether there is a viable solution to the problem. If such a solution exists, and is pointed out to them, and not implemented, then OK.

Your first quote was my gut instinct. Specially since I know he was asked to apologize.

The Second states the obvious: I am giving him a break.

He apologized in public and that thread should be kept as clean as possible: Accept the apology and leave that thread so unimpeded by other posts, the man has at least some face saving options.

I will grant you that when on good behavior Didact can be and is an asset to the project and that he had some bad days at the office. Allowing the thread to stand without too many comments and without rubbing it in his face: it gives the man some breathing space . He will think it twice before making comments ( I hope for his own good; he knows what will happen if he inserts foot again ( it will not be in his mouth).

When I return from Med School , doctors I will PM you and the bosses the reasons why I am doing the ressearch. Please believe me when I state I am not dumb and I will not do a thing that will harm our relationship with WCG. They have proven that they care and that they are a class act.

Fr3ak
10-18-2006, 03:36 AM
Jose there is a Edit Button for a reason :P

That apology is a start, but if that guy was smart he wouldnt have said what he said in the first place.

[XC] riptide
10-18-2006, 04:38 AM
DickDac has been spoken to. To can count on that. I reckon he'll be ok from here on in. They know when the schitt hits the fan (as in Rosetta) we'll up and leave. Now its only DogRat to deal with.

Jose
10-18-2006, 05:06 AM
Jose there is a Edit Button for a reason :P

That apology is a start, but if that guy was smart he wouldn't have said what he said in the first place.

Had I done what you wanted my message would have been huge. So dont mess with me or I will :slap: silly.

I am going to doctors...I am not in good mood when I go to urologists and all kind of doctors that use probes ... so chill it sparky :p: :slap: :p:

That said: Didact is smart . I am willing to bet a bottle of the cool coolant that shines in the dark that he was kind of goaded by his teamates who are seeing the days where they will be stomped by XS coming soon.

What is happening at WCG is easy: some people bought the lies spread by BS that we couldnt crunch in projects that had multiple quorums without using opti clients. Little they knew is that we could, can and will.

XS is one of the smallest of the top teams and yet, we are stomping them and since they bought the lies BS spread, they go irrational : they are panicking and thus, they are re-spreading the lies in the hope that we get angry and leave.

So RIP , we dont leave. We will stomp them and spit them out one by one . I will be joining the project in full soon ( I am milking the extraterrestrial cows for some 6000 + points, when that happens I will join for the big battle).

Please notice that the two top teams are very cool and calm about the whole issue: they are getting ready for a big crunching battle that will make DC history. EasyNews and Cubic are waiting for US as much as we are waiting to reach them.

This is going to be a battle for the ages. The fight that top teams and classy people enjoy.

(Hey we can get WWW RAW on Monday Nights to cover the match ;) )

Got Chow
10-18-2006, 07:01 AM
Come on, everyone just crunch on and put it in the past. I'm not part of the team but have seen similar things with our team and other teams and throughout other projects. IMO, just let it roll of your back and ignore what people post. Easier said than done, but I don't think I've been involved in any flame wars and strange online arguments in many years and part of it is that I just ignore that stuff.

mike047
10-18-2006, 01:58 PM
I am with several others here that don't think his apology was genuine. His first line;

Nobody is forcing me to make this post

is the key. If he had not been requested/directed to issue the apology, and he had genuine humilty and contrition, he would have issued something like;

I feel that I was out of line and need to give a heartfelt apology.

I will not post in the WCG apology thread as my comments, although true, would not be productive for XS.

rob725
10-18-2006, 02:05 PM
You may be right, Mike, but I think it's less important what didy actually feels than the message that is sent by his apology and if some decide that he was forced by the powers-that-be at wcg, then so much the better.