PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade Combodrive in Macbook to Superdrive?

WesM63
10-14-2006, 10:52 PM
I'm buying a macbook and was wondering if it was possible to upgrade the combo drive in the base white macbook to a superdrive? I'm not talking send it to apple, talking about doing it myself. I've worked on laptops and am not afraid to rip it apart. Just wondering where in the heck can I get my hands on the right drive? I've checked ebay but the only ones i see are *compatable* with the ibook/powerbooks.

Any help here?

Note: Yes i know, if i want a superdrive i should spend the extra $100 or so and buy the middle model. Problem is, I absolutely can't wait any longer. I need to buy one NOW. I use my laptop at work and my current one is gone come monday. The funds I have currently provide me with enough money to buy a base model and thats all.

eddieate
10-15-2006, 03:46 AM
Well if its any help the model of the super drive in my Macbook Pro is "HL-DT-ST DVDRW GWA4080M"
Ed.

Vapor
10-15-2006, 12:16 PM
One important thing is that MacBooks use 9.5mm optical drives, not the 'normal' 12.7mm.

Limits your options a bit ;)

I'll look around a tad more, but I'm striking out so far.

WesM63
10-15-2006, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the help guys!

[XC] moddolicous
10-15-2006, 02:59 PM
I'm guessing what you want is basically a dvd burner for your macbook? Is external an option?
Edit: I found a couple on froogle that might work. Here's the search:
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=9.5mm+optical+drives&hl=en&btnG=Search+Froogle&lmode=online&scoring=p&sa=N&lnk=next&start=60

Vapor
10-15-2006, 08:27 PM
And let's add another limitation....slotload only....finding drives for these ain't easy.

There is another option....however, it depends on a few factors.

I know, at the campus service center I work at (we only fix Apples :p: ), you can order parts through us if you want, at stock price. However, the only cases I've ever really heard of this is when the laptop has a problem and a person wants to order another duckhead (the part of the power brick that plugs into the wall) or some RAM....the key thing is it already having a problem. I'd bet there are shops that'll order a part for you if you shmooze....and there are also those that won't order one for you at all.

So, if you (likely) have the random-restart problem (fixed by replacing the $9 HSF, lol), you might want to ask if you can do it then. If you want, I can also get you the service manual for the Apple, including step-by-step take apart instructions (it's a PDF).

WesM63
10-16-2006, 08:01 AM
Vapor,
Thanks for all the help. We have a vendor here at work where we can order apple parts from, i'll have to look again, but i think they only carry older stuff. I didn't see the macbook in the parts list.

WesM63
10-18-2006, 07:51 AM
Thanks for the help guys, but I'm sealing the deal on a lightly used Macbook Pro as we speak :)

eddieate
10-18-2006, 01:59 PM
^ you Won't regret it, these things are lovley :)
Ed.

ugp
10-18-2006, 04:47 PM
I love mine to death. I am still learning so much about mine.

WesM63
10-18-2006, 05:06 PM
I can't wait, the g/f wasn't to happy but I got a SUPER deal on it.

Macbook Pro 15.4"
2ghz Core Duo
2gb Ram
100gb hdd
Superdrive
256mb x1600

Plus Mighty Mouse, all for $1600 :D

Vapor
10-18-2006, 05:07 PM
With the MBP....we were experimenting at work today with fan speeds. The default minimum is 1k RPM. The max is 6k.

1k is silent and pushes no air, under load, it gets way too hot though, WAY too hot. At idle, it's pushing it.

2k is silent and much better.....

but better yet, 3k is STILL silent, and can keep the CPU/GPU (under load) kinda cool.....at idle, the laptop stays cool to the touch. :cool:

under load, just let it do w/e it wants, but fwiw, there's no reason to let RPMs go below ~2.5k.

Just a little pointer :)

And that is a mighty, mighty good deal Wes....

eddieate
10-19-2006, 02:28 AM
Where are you adjusting the fan speeds Vapor?
cheers, Ed.

Vapor
10-19-2006, 09:18 AM
Hmmmmm, I was under the impression that the app was included with the MBP....guess not.

Anyway, here it is: http://www.conscius.de/~eidac/index.html

:)

eddieate
10-19-2006, 04:30 PM
Thats amazing! Thanks Vapor :D

WesM63
10-19-2006, 04:54 PM
Well if anyone is still looking for a superdrive there is one on ebay right now.