PDA

View Full Version : firmware just will not update on mach 2, temps rise from -35 to past zero

GLENBOY
10-14-2006, 03:22 PM
have a mach 2 on an old pentium system generally runs at temp on evaporator head -35 to -40 , turned on other day boots ok but once booting into windows temps rise from minus 35 to 0 and past that in lets say 3-5 minutes, i think it may be a leak but i thought i'd reflash firmware but it won't do it when i load bootloader and load the firmware file it starts flashing a few seconds gets to about 4 packets then clicks the mach off and on display it says no mains and starts shutting down pc, the control software is working so when you put fans on turbo etc it does do it , but it will not allow me to update firmware, any ideas

Gray Mole
10-15-2006, 01:58 PM
Strange problem.

I would recommend that if you have it overclocked while trying to update, back it off to stock speeds and make sure that your usb is set up right, and possibly even try to disable usb2 support in the hardware manager to be sure.

At that point, if it still won't update, I would be suspicious of the controller itself.

You could also try to do the update from another pc or laptop if you make up a converter for a usb plug though you would have to detach it if you couldn't make it reach onto another motherboard.

If it won't do it on another pc then you can very much suspect the controller.

This could well be a leak but if you can't update/reflash to ensure it's not a controller issue I'd want to make sure before sending it for repair, though anyone that could repair a Mach unit could also test and reflash it for you to make sure of it too.

Wish I could be of more help

Gray

GLENBOY
10-15-2006, 03:36 PM
thanks gray mole for the feedback yes i'll try and update it downclocked, it boots up fine gets down to minus 35 but the starts to slowly climb the temps, also i noticed that the gurgling" noise i normally hear of the gas going up the tube to the cpu block is a lot less pronounced, normally every few seconds you can hear it bubbling or gurgling , i know you'll know what i mean as i say the controller is working on the fans/display etc.. after having another look i noticed on the foam round the pipe going to the cpu block it is slightly wet and sticky at one point on the bend sort of speak and when you smell it it smells slightly sweet so i wonder if it may be a leak , i had one before on there and had it fixed by an air conditioning guy up the road (silver soldered) i'll try to get the firmware updated first job

Gray Mole
10-15-2006, 03:41 PM
Ah right. That does sound like a leak, and if it won't hold the cold it likely is a leak.

One more thing to get sorted after you see what's up with updating, but if you can't hold load and there's signs of leakage then it's very likely.

Sorry mate, if you post your location you'll probably find someone here that can help with that side of it, and if you had to send it away anyways the guy could likely help you deal with the control issues at the same time.

Gray

GLENBOY
10-15-2006, 03:51 PM
thanks yes i am uk also not a million miles away from you,blackburn way

Gray Mole
10-15-2006, 04:11 PM
Ah right, well PM'd you in case you needed me at some point.

If you wanted to be sure about the leak side of it, you could take a razor knife to the spot that looks like a leak is there, carefully cut to be able to inspect and peel back the foam.

Then if it's not too obvious, bend the flex in different directions and listen out for a slight hiss. Not so much as to make a leak :D but enough to show if it's there if it's enough to be an audible hiss. Can also make up a 50/50 mix of washing up liquid and put it on the suspect area to see if it shows a leak that way.

If not there, then you can get some foam tape (I have if you couldn't find) and reseal the spot if it turned out to be a false alarm and just the controller bugging out.

Cheers,

Gray