PDA

View Full Version : Licensing Changes to Windows Vista :D

eXceeded
10-14-2006, 11:37 AM
No more reason not to buy Vista :D
Link (http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_licensing.asp)

I'm here to tell you that virtually everything you've read online about the changes to Windows Vista's end-user license agreement (EULA) is wrong. Microsoft is further limiting your rights to transfer Windows to new PCs? Wrong. Microsoft is limiting your ability to upgrade your PC? Wrong. Microsoft is limiting the Vista versions you can install in virtual machines? Well, that one is partially correct. But there's a reason.

Here's what's really happening.

Every version of Windows is accompanied by a EULA. This document is a contract that specifies your rights with regards to the copy of Windows you just obtained. The thing is, most people--over 90 percent--get Windows with a new PC, according to Microsoft. And their rights are substantially different from the rights of a customer who purchased Windows at retail. More specifically, versions of Windows that come with a new PC can't ever be transferred to another PC. They are, quite literally, bound to the PCs with which they were purchased. Retail copies of Windows... that's a bit different. But only a bit. We'll get to that.

What's happened is that Microsoft has clarified the EULA for Windows Vista. They've made it more readable, for starters, so normal people can get by the legalese and understand what the document really means. The Vista EULA is also clearer about certain things, including one of the supposedly controversial "changes" that the previously named online pundits are railing against. It also mentions virtualization licensing rights for the first time.

Here's what changed.

xpsentity
10-14-2006, 12:02 PM
So I have to call every single time I change my motherboard, according to the article. Same old game.

Sure, I can see the perceived benefit of it, but this restriction won't help in the real world. It will cause normal people trouble, and everyone else with a cracked copy will just go on with life as usual.

It will not stop anyone from pirating the OS whatsoever. Same way it didn't help with XP.

This will, in the end, push more people (like us) to get cracked copies because we don't want to call MS 9 times every x number of months (or days).

Revv23
10-14-2006, 12:18 PM
yup like you said it will be easier to use a cracked copy just like with XP.

DAK1640
10-14-2006, 02:00 PM
What a PITA...I was hoping we were past this...

freecableguy
10-14-2006, 02:12 PM
i myself have gotten pretty sick of the call to India so that i can re-activate my OS after installing because of a new build...i really hate that.

eXceeded
10-14-2006, 02:36 PM
it is a major annoyance but its acceptable, better than having to rebuy windows if we change our hardware lol

JoeBar
10-14-2006, 02:52 PM
It's a major annoyance and not acceptable... :mad:

cirthix
10-14-2006, 03:05 PM
it's perfectly legal to use an activation crack if you have an xp lisence. it saves a lot of hassle.

activation sucks and has put more people off to legal versions than it has deterred from piracy, from what i've seen.

i will not be using vista. it's slow, ineffecient, and now with a very unfair lisence.

Fr3ak
10-14-2006, 03:11 PM
Its not really legal according to MS EULA.
But then again they write it way to complicated, so you can interpret it way different from what it was supposed to mean.

The best solution I found was not to activate XP. It hardly runs longer than 31days anyway. Either I change hardware or Windows destroys my partition table or suddenly refuses to boot.

Nanometer
10-14-2006, 03:20 PM
So I have to call every single time I change my motherboard, according to the article. Same old game.

Sure, I can see the perceived benefit of it, but this restriction won't help in the real world. It will cause normal people trouble, and everyone else with a cracked copy will just go on with life as usual.

It will not stop anyone from pirating the OS whatsoever. Same way it didn't help with XP.

This will, in the end, push more people (like us) to get cracked copies because we don't want to call MS 9 times every x number of months (or days).

That's how I see it. Nothing has changed, but it does get a little annoying to make a 5 minutes phone call to activate windows. Like I just said, a short time it takes to do it, but annoying all the same. I just wish they made things eassier instead of more complicated.

freeloader
10-14-2006, 03:24 PM
Vista is the ultimate in bloatware! Microsoft can keep it. I'd rather learn to use Linux than upgrade to Vista.

I have a legitimate copy of XP Pro. I got sick and tired of having to call for a new key practically everytime I changed my hardware configuration. I've gone back to a corporate editon to avoid the *ucked up activation process. As long as Microsoft continues to use such a lame activation/licensing scheme, I'll keep my money.

ettis
10-14-2006, 03:46 PM
I will never touch it unless it's a cracked, stripped and cleaned corporate version of Vista Ultimate.

afireinside
10-14-2006, 03:53 PM
If anything MS is promoting piracy with this BS. I own two legit XP keys but still went and obtained XP pro corp ed to make life not a living hell when installing windows.

xpsentity
10-14-2006, 04:06 PM
If anything MS is promoting piracy with this BS. I own two legit XP keys but still went and obtained XP pro corp ed to make life not a living hell when installing windows.

Microsoft people, are you reading this? :stick:

[XC] leviathan18
10-14-2006, 04:15 PM
all my copies are legit i have 5 copies of XP and you know what? i dont care making a call.....

Diverge
10-14-2006, 04:50 PM
Microsoft people, are you reading this? :stick:

MS doesn't really care much about us little people, in regard to pirating copies... it's more about bussinesses. If they wanted blood, they wouldn't just install spyware crap on our non-legit versions of win xp.. they go after us like the RIAA.

Not too long ago there was some class action lawsuit against MS.. and i got some papers in the mail saying i was entitled to like $5 per MS product that that hey had listed. within the mail was a list of all kinds of microsoft products that i had registered, or somehow these products were logged (cd keys/serials).. it was pretty long list.. but the funny thing was i've only bought like 2 of the items on the list. windows 95 and 98. I threw the papers out, not worth the effort for a few bucks... and i've gotten my moneys worth over the years :D

Repoman
10-14-2006, 06:11 PM
^Maybe not worth it for the money but worth it to cause MS that little extra pain

Kayin
10-14-2006, 06:45 PM
I'll treat it like every other M$ product.

Pirate it and pass it around like a cheap whore. I'm not paying that much to call India every few days while I run OC experiments.

Microsoft, why do these things? You only encourage piracy.

STEvil
10-14-2006, 06:52 PM
there are m$ people here supposedly.... I hope they read this.

Frisch
10-14-2006, 07:01 PM
When I buy a product like a Music CD, which it's a less than a third of the price, I dont have to call the Artists, Publisher, Mixer, Composer, my mother, India, China, and the whole world to listen to it. I don't have to punch 5 million numbers and feel like a criminal, just because i bought a new cd player, and the CD only wants to play on your registered original player.

I'M NOT A CRIMINAL, JUST BECAUSE I BOUGHT A NEW MOTHERBOARD.

DAMN IT

[XC] leviathan18
10-14-2006, 07:07 PM
you guys know that MS can pay 2mm dollars daily for the next 70 years even if they stop making money

also you have to press all those numbers because there is people pirating SW

KiD0M4N
10-14-2006, 07:08 PM
i myself have gotten pretty sick of the call to India so that i can re-activate my OS after installing because of a new build...i really hate that.

erm, sick of the call or sick of call to India?

you talk like when some calls are routed to US of A, there are babes answering "Yea baby, tell me you name ?"

:toast: :p:

Kayin
10-14-2006, 07:16 PM
STEvil, I hope they read it too.

Thankfully, my Linux install can't get shut down for validation issues. That's been my solution for most of this. I broke down and learned it so I can get away from all this BS. But, if they want the honest truth from the consumer, the should be prepared for this. I'm not going to lie and say I'm stuffing that much money down the garbage disposal for an OS that will give me headaches every time I fart. Nor am I gonna say that I'm gonna use it as my main desktop OS anyway, but I will find a copy and use/loan it as needed, because I recognize that while my Linux install is superior in many things, Cedega doesn't run everything.

I'd rather tell them straight out that their plan is gonna fail, and I'm probably gonna be helping. They lost my money LONG ago, and this is in no wise helping to get it back. As I'm a linux user, I'm not subject to their whims. In fact, I'm rather much tired of them.

I figure that I earned my right to :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: by learning enough to switch. At least a little :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:ing, anyway. I have too much learning to do and gaming to do to waste much time on the evil empire.

theteamaqua
10-14-2006, 07:33 PM

yeah, and the stupid phone menu takes is soo slow. the time it take from the time u make pjone call to when u can actually speak to a "technician" is roughly 15 min, although it can go up to 30 min. i waited 30 min once ....

STEvil, I hope they read it too.

Thankfully, my Linux install can't get shut down for validation issues. That's been my solution for most of this. I broke down and learned it so I can get away from all this BS. But, if they want the honest truth from the consumer, the should be prepared for this. I'm not going to lie and say I'm stuffing that much money down the garbage disposal for an OS that will give me headaches every time I fart. Nor am I gonna say that I'm gonna use it as my main desktop OS anyway, but I will find a copy and use/loan it as needed, because I recognize that while my Linux install is superior in many things, Cedega ......

yeah, I didnt pay for my XP PRO SP2. i doubt i will pay for Win Vista. Since i only use Windows for games

Kunaak
10-14-2006, 08:46 PM
for once, I completly condone the use of pirating... if they are gonna make things this difficult, and pirates can make a nice easy version to use... then pirate away.

I wont be spending the next 5 years with XP Pro, and I wont be spending the next 5 years calling microsoft, everytime I buy a new motherboard, or something, just cause my hardware config changed.

so I say, get to work pirates, hahahaaa....

arisythila
10-14-2006, 08:52 PM

LOL, I have a legal copy of windows, but I dont use it.. I use a cracked copy I downloaded, because I dont want to have to deal with microsoft.. I will do the same with Vista if I get it for some reason.

~Mike

arisythila
10-14-2006, 08:54 PM
Its not really legal according to MS EULA.
But then again they write it way to complicated, so you can interpret it way different from what it was supposed to mean.

Technically its not illegal.. You own a piece of software. It shouldnt matter. Microsoft is trying to cut down on illegal copies. But they may have caused more. I use no-cd hacks on alot of my games, because I dont want to have to take out the cd and put in the game i want to play, I dont want to have to worry about that crap. That is also perfectly legal. Well they couldnt really take you to court for it, They would have no real reason to charge you.

The best solution I found was not to activate XP. It hardly runs longer than 31days anyway. Either I change hardware or Windows destroys my partition table or suddenly refuses to boot.

This is also true. I never thought of it like this. Then again. I dont want to have to think about reformatting my puter every 31 days. But doable.

~Mike

fhpchris
10-14-2006, 09:05 PM
LOL, I have a legal copy of windows, but I dont use it.. I use a cracked copy I downloaded, because I dont want to have to deal with microsoft.. I will do the same with Vista if I get it for some reason.

~Mike

I ususally do the same thing! LOL!

arisythila
10-14-2006, 09:17 PM
I ususally do the same thing! LOL!

I always do it.. Much better/easier to do.

~Mike

Vikodemous
10-14-2006, 09:29 PM
for once, I completly condone the use of pirating... if they are gonna make things this difficult, and pirates can make a nice easy version to use... then pirate away.

I wont be spending the next 5 years with XP Pro, and I wont be spending the next 5 years calling microsoft, everytime I buy a new motherboard, or something, just cause my hardware config changed.

so I say, get to work pirates, hahahaaa....

I'm With Kunaak :toast:

Arrrgg Capatin let us begin the plunder forthwith.
http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/1579/344fn.gif

Fr3ak
10-15-2006, 01:09 AM
Technically its not illegal.. You own a piece of software. It shouldnt matter. Microsoft is trying to cut down on illegal copies. But they may have caused more. I use no-cd hacks on alot of my games, because I dont want to have to take out the cd and put in the game i want to play, I dont want to have to worry about that crap. That is also perfectly legal. Well they couldnt really take you to court for it, They would have no real reason to charge you.

This is also true. I never thought of it like this. Then again. I dont want to have to think about reformatting my puter every 31 days. But doable.

~Mike

I was referring to the EULA. It says something like you dont buy the software, you buy a license for the software and you are not allowerd do modify the software, whatever that means.

Of course its not that bad if you own a legit copy of it
Its similar to PC games. You are also not allowed to use a noCD key with your legit copy, because you break the copy protection. At least thats the case for the country I live in.

Personally I wouldnt have ethical problems to use cracks for software I paid for.

Kingcarcas
10-15-2006, 03:45 AM
2 Legit copies here and it took me a while to finally get a crack :banana: Am I the only one whos install doesn't last 31 days? Somewhere around 20 it won't let me logon to Windows and forces me to call :(

eXceeded
10-15-2006, 05:07 AM
I always crack my games so that I don't have to insert the damn cd all the time and I crack windows activation since I don't want to go through the hassle of calling them because I decided I wanted a new mobo... With games I get pissed that they expect us to have like 80 DVD drives just to play all our games without hassle. And the fact that DVDs are slow and don't always agree with windows explorer (whilst the disc is loading explorer will die waiting for it to spin up..)

Fr3ak
10-15-2006, 07:30 AM
2 Legit copies here and it took me a while to finally get a crack :banana: Am I the only one whos install doesn't last 31 days? Somewhere around 20 it won't let me logon to Windows and forces me to call :(

Its 31days for me, unless you mess with the bios time and date.

What I found out is that you can use it longer than 31days. You just have to keep it running 24/7. But after you reboot, it seems like it changes your cd key to a special key. That guy at MS knew exactly the last few digits after I told him the first 5.
Was fun talking to him after that.

Darkenreaper57
10-15-2006, 07:32 AM

I agree. I think this would only feed piracy simply because the users don't want to deal with the annoying-ness of legit copies. I'd assume there will be "corporate" editions again where one would not need to deal with the security crap.

JoeBar
10-15-2006, 11:06 AM
Exactly. That's what i use with winxp... ;)

Mr.X
10-15-2006, 02:29 PM
They are changing the licensing? :eek:
Doesn't matter. Now I'll just have to wait for my pirated copy a little longer. :rolleyes:

Bad Microsoft! :slapass:

LazyBum
10-16-2006, 10:08 AM

~Mike

LOL I am in the same boat, I own 3 xp pro and 1 xp 64 licenses and I use a corp version from my workplace because I got tired of the reactivation crap.

I am not gonna complain about the cost, because in reality how much does your $300-400 pay for. About one days costs for a programmer? Linux is all fine and good , but it still costs you majorly, unless you think your time is worth nothing. At minimum wage getting linux to do half of what XP does will probably still cost you more. Of course, learning new skills may make it worth your time, depends on what you want out of an OS.

I just don't like being treated like a criminal for trying to use software I purchased legally.

exhausted mule
10-16-2006, 12:08 PM
i think of it as this way.

if its too much of a hassle to activate the os then dont bother using it...

though i am interested in the "corperate" stripped vista however....