PDA

View Full Version : How much heat can a 120.3 handle?

adamant415
10-13-2006, 11:34 AM
I am going to start piecing a new build together soon. Don't get excited about pics yet, it will be sometime next year when all of the parts have arrived. What I'm going to start off with is the case and watercooling componets. Now my question is could a pa120.3 handle something like two 125 watt cpu's and a 250 watt gpu possibly two. Worst case scenario is 500-750 watts of heat at a descent temperature with out making me go deaf. Most I'm willing to run for fans on the radiator is yate-loons at 12v.

There are two options I'm considering.

One loop

Lian-Li G75
1xPA120.3
2xd5

Two loops

Lian-Li modular cube case
1xPA120.2 for each loop
1xd5 for each loop

The system will either be a 4x4+ AMD setup with two quad K8L's or something like the upcoming tigerton chipset. I don't want to argue about if the heat output will be that high all I want to know is if the heat output is that high will either of the setups handle it at a reasonable temp. Also I know the ddc ultra with top is the better pump but I will go with the d5's for dependability.

davidzo
10-13-2006, 12:03 PM
afair, marci had over 500watts in his loop and only about 8K difference with a PA120.3, that should be enough.

Go get it, its the best radiator out there, it will handle your 750watts with ease!

the difference bteween one PA120.3 and two PA120.2 are really small, but the two rads will harm the flowrate more. I think the dualpump is a good choice if you plan a high performing multiprocessor, multigpu rig with everything watercooled, but it will really only kick if you run them together in one loop, i gues that you get a higher flowrate then compared two running them in two loops. That will add up to better performance for your blocks. so using one 120.3 is not only cheaper, but maybe even a tad better.

Clay
10-13-2006, 12:16 PM
I'm sure you've seen this:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1092111&postcount=1

Looks like it shruggs off close to 600watts pretty easy. LOL

My only experience with 120.3 is what I have. Currently I only have a cpu loop. Not much of a load for it either.LOL But I really do get super nice temps.

thunderstruck!
10-13-2006, 12:18 PM
Ditch the D5, DDC-2 = 2x better.

adamant415
10-13-2006, 12:27 PM
With marci's test the tec's equal about 400 watts if he is running them at their rated volts. I don't know enough about his setup to know if it is a good indicator of performance in my situation.

@thunderstruck I posted why I wouldn't be running the ddc-2's.

kemist
10-13-2006, 12:32 PM
With marci's test the tec's equal about 400 watts if he is running them at their rated volts. I don't know enough about his setup to know if it is a good indicator of performance in my situation.

@thunderstruck I posted why I wouldn't be running the ddc-2's.

The ddc is just fine for dependability as long as you test it before putting it in your loop. Almost everything ive seen if a ddc is going to fail it does it very early on. Dont let a bad batch dissuade you from the pump.

Clay
10-13-2006, 12:46 PM
Remember with tec's you have the heat load of the tec plus the load of the processor-gpu. At least that's the notion I got in the tec cooling area.
BRB I'll double check and post a link.

Edit: I had it right:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38367

Edit2:I'm pretty sure he'd run em' at the rated voltage. Not totally sure though.

davidzo
10-13-2006, 12:55 PM
Remember with tec's you have the heat load of the tec plus the load of the processor-gpu. At least that's the notion I got in the tec cooling area.
BRB I'll double check and post a link.

i thought so too, thats why i wrote it can handle more than 500watts with ease. A vera good tec can transport up to 70% heat as it consumes in watts. the heat doesn't flee anywhere, it does only get transported to the hot side. marci has had over 500watts in his loop then.

Pete
10-13-2006, 02:49 PM
PA120.3 is an amazing rad!!! Wish there was a PA120.4 just for the hell of it!

I only run my NB X975 volt modded, 2100mhz through it was sat at 100+c on air but now is only 40c on water!

Gonna be cooler soon as going to add some fans @ 7v to add case cooling, 6 fanc pull and push to get the air in there!

el rolio
10-13-2006, 11:32 PM
lemme tell you how good it is. im not sure if my sig is up to date but im runnin an oc'ed cpu, and 2 gfx cards with the PA. now yesterday morning i decided to swap in my new fx chip before work to let it burn in for the day. since i unplugged the psu, it reset the aquaero memory, which is what controls my fans.

how did i know this? that the memory profile reset? well, when i turned back on, i let it burn in at the same speeds my previous oc was at. it did so passively till i came home later to say, "hmm, 46C on the cpu? thats a bit hot, that cant be just from having a new IHS or non cured AS5.... thats a whole 5C higher than it should be.... let me check the rad warmth."

stick my hand and see fans werent even moving.

hahah this PA120.3 can handle SLI+FX55 PASSIVE. yea it can handle anythign you can throw at it right now.

_G_
10-14-2006, 06:06 PM
Im waiting for Marci to post a pic of one on a mini cooper or something. lol

Marci
10-16-2006, 02:27 AM
Best I could do would be one on a race sidecar...

120.3 rad will handle KILOWATTS of heat. Noiselevel and personal taste determines what the max figure achievable is, as you'll never be able to overload it with a PC.

nealh
10-16-2006, 03:33 AM
Best I could do would be one on a race sidecar...

120.3 rad will handle KILOWATTS of heat. Noiselevel and personal taste determines what the max figure achievable is, as you'll never be able to overload it with a PC.

I was waiting for Marci's response....says it allow

never be able to overload it with a PC