PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista licenses limit OS transfers, ban VM use?

mrlobber
10-13-2006, 04:00 AM
Full story here:

http://www.techweb.com/wire/software/193300234

Microsoft has released licenses for the Windows Vista operating system that dramatically differ from those for Windows XP in that they limit the number of times that retail editions can be transferred to another device and ban the two least-expensive versions from running in a virtual machine.
The new licenses, which were highlighted by the Vista team on its official blog Tuesday, add new restrictions to how and where Windows can be used.

The first user of the software may reassign the license to another device one time. If you reassign the license, that other device becomes the "licensed device" reads the license for Windows Vista Home Basic, Home Premium, Ultimate, and Business. In other words, once a retail copy of Vista is installed on a PC, it can be moved to another system only once.

The new policy is narrower than Windows XP's. In the same section, the license for Windows XP Home states: "You may move the Software to a different Workstation Computer. After the transfer, you must completely remove the Software from the former Workstation Computer." There is no limit to the number of times users can make this move. Windows XP Professional's license is identical.

Elsewhere in the license, Microsoft forbids users from installing Vista Home Basic and Vista Home Premium in a virtual machine. "You may not use the software installed on the licensed device within a virtual (or otherwise emulated) hardware system," the legal language reads. Vista Ultimate and Vista Business, however, can be installed within a VM.

lowfat
10-13-2006, 04:16 AM
that is bull:banana::banana::banana::banana:. So if i change my motherboard out twice i have to buy a new copy of Vista. :mad:

crodan85
10-13-2006, 04:19 AM
And that is why more people will use cracked version. Good Job Microsoft :thumbsup:

Motiv
10-13-2006, 04:27 AM
Reading the EULA, it seems to state that you can move it as many times as want, just you have to move it once at a time.

In other words you can't use it on multiple copies.

Also, I can't find in the EULA the bit about virtual machines. It states you can use it.

Thats how it reads to me.

mrlobber
10-13-2006, 04:35 AM
I personally found the text in Vista licenses to be a little bit awkward with a good possibility to be misinterpreted, which might be the case here. Especially that "one time" sounds very weird to me

Then again, I'm not a native English speaker, and by no means proficient in legal English :D, therefore, my "feelings" might not hold any value here :)

theteamaqua
10-13-2006, 04:49 AM
And that is why more people will use cracked version. Good Job Microsoft :thumbsup:

yeah

Fatal Error
10-13-2006, 04:54 AM
Ι wish Microsoft create the most secure os in the world so no one can crack it so enerybody turn to unix based system and begin a new era for PCs.

theteamaqua
10-13-2006, 04:57 AM
Ι wish Microsoft create the most secure os in the world so no one can crack it so enerybody turn to unix based system and begin a new era for PCs.

another yeah,

if game developers start making games for it , and if nvida and ATI writes better drivers

fhpchris
10-13-2006, 05:30 AM
Image time ;)

Vista can suck me, its only downgrading what is out now...

Fr3ak
10-13-2006, 05:39 AM
I was gonna post this too after reading the Vista license terms.

Here is the .pdf for the Ultimate Edition:
http://download.microsoft.com/documents/useterms/Windows%20Vista_Ultimate_English_9d10381d-6fa8-47c7-83b0-c53f722371fa.pdf

Other pdfs can be found here:
http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/useterms/default.aspx

The one time hardware change is the worst thing I have heard of for quite some time. I hope thats not really true, but from what is written in the license terms, it seems to be pretty much as it sounds like.

After activation, Vista also ckecks for validation from time to time. If something is fishy, some parts of the OS are being disabled:
"If, after a validation check, the software is found not to be properly licensed, the functionality of
the software may be affected. For example, you may
· need to reactivate the software, or
· receive reminders to obtain a properly licensed copy of the software,
or you may not be able to
· use or continue to use some of the features of the software, or
· obtain certain updates or upgrades from Microsoft."

I somehow feel being ripped off if all that is rally true and I am not going to get Vista as long as I dont necessarily need it.
Its even worse than the current XP situation. I bought my XP Pro license back in 2002 , and I the activation process took me more than 30 minutes several times. After entering the long key in the phone, I was told it didnt work and I gotta talk to a MS employee. Then I had to tell him that I own a legit copy. I as thraeted like a criminal more than just once, which left a bad taste to me. Telling them why I have the 3rd mainboard/cpu combo within 5 weeks is also always fun.
Long story short: I was pissed off more than once with the activation process and what is even worse, people with a cracked version lough at you when you tell them about your activation adventures.

iddqd
10-13-2006, 05:55 AM
I was gonna post this too after reading the Vista license terms.

Here is the .pdf for the Ultimate Edition:
http://download.microsoft.com/documents/useterms/Windows%20Vista_Ultimate_English_9d10381d-6fa8-47c7-83b0-c53f722371fa.pdf

Other pdfs can be found here:
http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/useterms/default.aspx

The one time hardware change is the worst thing I have heard of for quite some time. I hope thats not really true, but from what is written in the license terms, it seems to be pretty much as it sounds like.

After activation, Vista also ckecks for validation from time to time. If something is fishy, some parts of the OS are being disabled:
"If, after a validation check, the software is found not to be properly licensed, the functionality of
the software may be affected. For example, you may
· need to reactivate the software, or
· receive reminders to obtain a properly licensed copy of the software,
or you may not be able to
· use or continue to use some of the features of the software, or
· obtain certain updates or upgrades from Microsoft."

I somehow feel being ripped off if all that is rally true and I am not going to get Vista as long as I dont necessarily need it.
Its even worse than the current XP situation. I bought my XP Pro license back in 2002 , and I the activation process took me more than 30 minutes several times. After entering the long key in the phone, I was told it didnt work and I gotta talk to a MS employee. Then I had to tell him that I own a legit copy. I as thraeted like a criminal more than just once, which left a bad taste to me. Telling them why I have the 3rd mainboard/cpu combo within 5 weeks is also always fun.
Long story short: I was pissed off more than once with the activation process and what is even worse, people with a cracked version lough at you when you tell them about your activation adventures.

Again, I'd like to say that according to M$, the non-activated version has 3 useless features disabled.

Big deal.

amrgb
10-13-2006, 06:48 AM

That's why friends of mine less knowledgeable about these things, ask me to install a cracked version of XP instead of their own legal copy.

Needless to say, that if they knew that things would be like that at the beginning, they would never had bought a legal copy.

I don't think they will do the same mistake again with Vista (when they become aware that it exists, which may take some time :p: )

[XC] Teroedni
10-13-2006, 06:52 AM
Microsoft is killing themselves:D

More lincense bull:banana::banana::banana::banana: and legal threats:stick:
How will that help them keep the market?

Complete
10-13-2006, 07:02 AM
Good luck w/ that. There will be no Corporate Key versions of Vista w/ unlimited activation, like there are w/ XP.

Also, cracking Vista is going to be MUCH harder. Not impossible, but a whole HECK of a lot harder.

Summary article of the changes to Vista activation/authentication here:
http://www.overclockers.com/tips01046/

Tell me something in this world that has not been cracked....

Unfortunally for Microsoft.. there are smarter people HACKING, then making! :)

...p.s.... ^.^ thats good for us!

fhpchris
10-13-2006, 07:02 AM
I wonder what it would do if you just block it with a firewall...

Ron 61
10-13-2006, 07:20 AM
People aren't going to pay for another vista license when they install their 3rd, 4th, and so on motherboards. It's just not going to happen.

ferds
10-13-2006, 08:21 AM
People aren't going to pay for another vista license when they install their 3rd, 4th, and so on motherboards. It's just not going to happen.

QFT!!

ewitte
10-13-2006, 08:38 AM

If it can be used/read in the first place it can be cracked. I say the same thing about copying media. The only way to prevent copying is to make it where nobody can read it but then nobody could use it so your screwed ;)

xpsentity
10-13-2006, 08:47 AM
Good way to alienate everyone who ever wanted to switch a mobo, go MS! :slap:

Hope we're misinterpreting, or it's changed. If it's truly the case, well, yarrrr.

JamesAvery22
10-13-2006, 09:06 AM
Good luck w/ that. There will be no Corporate Key versions of Vista w/ unlimited activation, like there are w/ XP.

Also, cracking Vista is going to be MUCH harder. Not impossible, but a whole HECK of a lot harder.

The wildly available cracked XP MCE doesn't use a corporate key. Just cracks all the dll's around activation/genuine advantage... For every new legitcheckcontrol.dll that comes out a cracked version comes within a week. Sure, whatever MS implements in Vista will obviously be more complicated than XP, but I doubt anyone with half a brain would bet against cracks emerging regardless.

eXceeded
10-13-2006, 09:09 AM
This story actually put me of Vista, I'll definitely rethink my purchase of Vista if I have to rebuy it again after my next couple of PCs which could be this time next year :S... after all isn't that the point of computers!?

[XC]thewildblue
10-13-2006, 09:15 AM
The best thing to do is wait for Vista and then buy the action pack. Thats what I will be doing.

nn_step
10-13-2006, 09:48 AM
This is making my OS look better and better everyday

Kingcarcas
10-14-2006, 12:45 AM
Damn right, and they speak too low with funny accents :rofl:

eXceeded
10-14-2006, 01:13 AM
some speak too fast and with crappy accents :S

kromosto
10-14-2006, 03:18 AM
microsoft is not killing itself it is killing us. Us that loves to buy new hardwares new vgas new mobos new cpus. But microsoft doesnt get much of its profit from us they will sell most of the vista copies by dell hp etc etc so why should they care about us.

IluvIntel
10-14-2006, 06:06 AM
I'll bet a MS employee is reading this thread and passing it on to the powers that be...

Diverge
10-14-2006, 08:22 AM
and i was actually thinking of buying vista.. not gonna happen now. i make obsessive compulsive decissions to buy new hardware all the time, even though i don't need better stuff... I guess i will wait for a copy of vista that doesn't require activation to come around, cause you know it will happen.

i don't understand why they spend so much effort preventing piracy, cause it will always be there. And i am sure they make enough money. Trying to rake in all the potental consumers out there is a waste of time... most people that download mass amounts of pirated software wouldn't waste money on 1/100 the things they download if pirated copies didn't exist.

i know this post went a little off topic.. but i redo my windows installation so many time over one year just cause things get messed up, registry gets bloated from installing and playing with so many programs.... that being limited in the # of activations and hardware changes just lost them one customer here!

i guess they don't realize there are lots of people out there that actually do stuff with thier pc's, and just don't go down to the circuit city, buy a pc, use it, then throw it out when it messes up or they want a new one.

Pinnacle
10-14-2006, 08:29 AM

Brent, your either with us or your against us!

Down with Vista!!!

:p:

Dimitriman
10-14-2006, 08:45 AM
Why does Microsoft think this will help fight piracy bugs me. Most people resort to cracked versions because they don't have all the hassle of activation, and restrictions to how many machines you can use it.
I own a student version of Winxp wich cost me 60 euros cause my uni licenses from Microsoft but I wouldn't hesitate in buying the full retail version IF it worked seamlessly in any pc I installed.
As long as M$ keeps the consumers so chained down they will keep running away for cracked windows

Anemone
10-14-2006, 08:55 AM
Was going to buy it, but won't now.

XP will just have to do.

Major_A
10-14-2006, 09:07 AM
After I had to call MS to activate my legit copy of XP I figured there had to be a better way. I found quickly found a nice little app that tells WPA to go to hell. This came in handy when I was having some serious issues a while back and had to reinstall XP 3-4 times over a couple of days. I'm sure there will be something similar for Vista.

Windows XP has been out how long? If someone bought a copy the day it came out I'm sure legally they have installed it more than twice.

Microsoft makes most of their money by selling to builders. I'm sure that very little, less than 10%, of Vista sales will come from people buying it off the shelf.

HelloIDistance
10-14-2006, 09:24 AM
Why does Microsoft think this will help fight piracy bugs me. Most people resort to cracked versions because they don't have all the hassle of activation, and restrictions to how many machines you can use it.
I own a student version of Winxp wich cost me 60 euros cause my uni licenses from Microsoft but I wouldn't hesitate in buying the full retail version IF it worked seamlessly in any pc I installed.
As long as M$ keeps the consumers so chained down they will keep running away for cracked windows

Amen to that, if they would work with people there would be alot less people who use cracked versions. Not saying it will be elimated but it can be reduced. And all this Vista news is sounding really stupid. But you have to remember the same thing happened before Windows XP release IIRC. We will just have to wait and see.

flopper
10-15-2006, 01:40 AM
why not make it, buy 5 win vista versions at the same time for the price of 2?

If the system is to tiresome and a lot of hassle they will change it since they cant have it like that where the coustomers gets into a lot of trouble.

If the games, and media gets all better with vista, then winxp will die faster than people like.

Dx10 and this api will determine what games people will play since if its looks better and runs faster with vista then will be the gamers choice.

for the wordprocessors users out there, winxp will be good to 20 years to come. They still use win3.1 or even a typewriter...