PDA

View Full Version : WCG on 98SE

yngwie98
10-12-2006, 10:51 AM
What's the best version of BOINC to run WCG on Windows 98SE??
For some reason, it just hangs most of the time when it tries to start a new WCG WU. If I manually exit BOINC then restart it, the WU starts just fine. But I never have any problems with Rosetta.
I'm using version 5.4.9.

This happens only on my 3rd rig, which just crunches. 98SE is fine fot it, no reason to upgrade it to XP. Are there any easy to use Linux distros I could try? I've played around with Mandrake in the past, it ran SETI just fine. Though I just used the command line client, couldn't get any of the other versions to work.

[XC] Duc
10-12-2006, 11:35 AM
What's the best version of BOINC to run WCG on Windows 98SE??
For some reason, it just hangs most of the time when it tries to start a new WCG WU. If I manually exit BOINC then restart it, the WU starts just fine. But I never have any problems with Rosetta.
I'm using version 5.4.9.

This happens only on my 3rd rig, which just crunches. 98SE is fine fot it, no reason to upgrade it to XP. Are there any easy to use Linux distros I could try? I've played around with Mandrake in the past, it ran SETI just fine. Though I just used the command line client, couldn't get any of the other versions to work.

If it's a "crunching-only" rig, get rid of 98SE.
Instead, use the XS-OS (http://nnstep.com/XSOS%20v2.0.iso) created by one of our forum members, nn-step.
It uses very little resources and ram + it's free to use it if u have a valid licence from another Windows OS (98SE is ok)

mike047
10-12-2006, 01:39 PM
If it's a "crunching-only" rig, get rid of 98SE.
Instead, use the XS-OS (http://nnstep.com/XSOS%20v2.0.iso) created by one of our forum members, nn-step.
It uses very little resources and ram + it's free to use it if u have a valid licence from another Windows OS (98SE is ok)

I tried the XSOS but could not get it to connect to the net to get work, can you point me to some information so I can use it:)

[XC] Duc
10-12-2006, 02:13 PM
I tried the XSOS but could not get it to connect to the net to get work, can you point me to some information so I can use it:)

I only tried it once and everything I needed worked, but it was a temp setup...did you use version 1.0 or 2.0?

nn_step has a feedback thread (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=113525) devoted to any probs with his OS, maybe you can post the problem there or contact him directly through PM.
I'm sure he'll be glad to help you out:)

[XC] hipno650
10-12-2006, 03:26 PM
some of my rigs run ubuntu and it works better than xp (takes less time to do wu's) i like it so far. the only problem is it gets less points for some reason. claims way less. like 80(xp) to 40(ubuntu)

joshd
10-12-2006, 10:24 PM
I just use win98 on my p3 24/7 cruncher, it runs fine.

nn_step
10-15-2006, 04:19 PM
Did you remember to set the system switch to Online+Lan?

mike047
10-16-2006, 01:07 PM
Did you remember to set the system switch to Online+Lan?

Yeah, I tried that. I am going to try again this weekend and devote a little more effort into tying to get it right:D

THANKS