PDA

View Full Version : Another New To Folding Post.

Yoxxy
10-12-2006, 07:06 AM
Well just setup my laptop 2.13 Core Duo, and Desktop 4.0 Ghz C2D. Will be setting up my home server 4x Xeon 2.2 ghz when I have chance. The question I have is it possible to do a group install. I run about 50 computers at work that do absolutely nothing, and I am sure the employees would be more than happy to run WCG. They are all 3.2 ghz p4, that may take 1:00 minute of cpu time in a day. If there is a way I can setup on all I will do it. Thanks for the help.

Martijn
10-12-2006, 07:20 AM
:welcome:

That would be one sick farm if you could set it up :slobber:. I believe someone (PY222 from Free-DC) made a script for quick installing on multiple rigs? I don't know for sure, maybe someone else can help you :)

Rinsewand
10-12-2006, 07:23 AM
welcome to the team!

in saying you run the computers at work, i'm guessing you're the admin? Just wondering if you have permission from whoever owns the computers to install BOINC on them. Always better to check first.

As for group installs i dont think you can, unless you can build the program into an image used to install on the computers and push that out over the network?

Perhaps someone else will have a better idea :)

for now - welcome to the team! hope to see you rising through the ranks and having fun!

RwD

leviathon-nz
10-12-2006, 07:34 AM
I had a script that i wrote up last year but its been lost in the moving countries and all, ill see what i can dig up. And welcome to the team, and thanks for bringing another 3 comps for our 100 list:fact:

Yoxxy
10-12-2006, 07:44 AM
I am the admin, and my dad own's the company...and everything in it. The only good part about being the bosses son and actaully having some idea about computers, is that if I say something about computers people actaully listen.

leviathon-nz
10-12-2006, 07:59 AM
Heres (http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread?thread=5796) a way to do large installs with an msi and or vbscript, wcg forums are having problems at the moment so it wont display the whole thread. Also there is a way to do essentially the same thing using active directoryhere (http://boinc-wiki.ath.cx/index.php?title=Windows_Installer) this is a somewhat more straightfoward version.

meshmesh
10-12-2006, 08:00 AM
Welcome to the team Yoxxy. Glad you joined us.

I know who may have a ready script. Maybe RSmura.
Will PM him and see what he has. In the meantime, get the OK, and we'll see what can be dug up.

Edit: I see that levi has pointed you to a ready solution. See if it works for you and don't hesitate to post if any problems.

[XC] Teroedni
10-12-2006, 08:03 AM
Great
Welcome to the Team:toast:

an0nym0us
10-12-2006, 08:10 AM
wow that farm would be sick to add to the team.

WesM63
10-12-2006, 08:16 AM
Welcome to the team!! Glad to have ya :)

Yoxxy
10-12-2006, 08:39 AM
hrm I think I willl just install them all this weekend, while no one is here. That seems like it will be the easiest.

Got Chow
10-12-2006, 08:40 AM
"The Lazy Slug" has a how-to on deploying BOINC on a network:

http://www.thelazyslug.com/boinc.htm

bullet2urbrain
10-12-2006, 08:44 AM
Aye welcome to the team,

If you woulndt mind *Puts on flame suit* perhaps diversifying the rig like 80% WCG and 20% d2ol? both accomplish the same type of science however XS is under fire in d2ol alot more than WCG. Just my .02

Welcome :toast:

Martijn
10-12-2006, 08:47 AM
hrm I think I willl just install them all this weekend, while no one is here. That seems like it will be the easiest.
:woot:

That is awesome :D

[XC] Malkec
10-12-2006, 09:46 AM
Yoxxy wait for the more experienced members to read this thread, I'm sure you'll get better answers on how to install wcg on your 50 rigs.

Anyways very glad to have you on board :toast:

priens
10-12-2006, 10:18 AM
"The Lazy Slug" has a how-to on deploying BOINC on a network:

http://www.thelazyslug.com/boinc.htm

Yep, this really works well. If you have Active Directory, you can automatically deploy BOINC to all your computers using Group Policy. All that needs to be done is to restart every workstation.

As you can see in the WCG-threat (http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread?thread=5792), I have been really struggeling with it before I finally sorted it out, but I am really un-experienced with networking, etc. So if you're a "real" administrator, it should be a piece of cake.

Good luck!:cool:

Priens (DPC)

A novice
10-12-2006, 10:39 AM
Welcome to the team:thumbsup:

DAK1640
10-12-2006, 02:45 PM
Nice horsepower Yoxxy, thanks for joining & will be watching for you to quickly climb the charts...:woot: :woot: :woot:

[XC] hipno650
10-12-2006, 03:10 PM
Welcome yoxxy!!!!!!! nice to have you on board!!!!!! and if you could get those 50 rigs up that would be awsome!!!!!:slobber: :slobber: :slobber: what i would do is get a usb drive, put boinc on it and go from comp to comp doing it the old fashioned way:D best of luck man!!!!! Edit: are those p4 ht? cuz if they are:slobber:

[XC] serlv
10-12-2006, 04:49 PM
Welcome to the team, Yoxxy! Can't wait to see what the output will eventually look like. Keep us up on how its' going, ok?

Cheers,
Scott

v0dka
10-12-2006, 09:53 PM
I love the smell of 50 machines added in the morning.

Got Chow
10-13-2006, 06:56 AM
Hmmm.... is this gonna be a DDTung Roadkiller candidate? :D:D

[XC] Malkec
10-13-2006, 07:41 AM
Hmmm.... is this gonna be a DDTung Roadkiller candidate? :D:D

Nah, would need about 100 machines to do that :eek: ;)

RSmura
10-13-2006, 11:59 AM
Yoxxy, I can certainly help you with mass deployment either through AD if you have a 2000 or 2003 domain OR through a script run at login. It is very simple.

Also, you should install one client (yours) with a program called Boinc View. I could also help you with deploying this application if you would like.

I see that others have already given you dircetion in this matter, so if you would like more infomration, just PM or email me robATsmuraDOTcom and I'll be glad to help.