PDA

View Full Version : I want to make a MP3 server for my new LAN, I need help!

stompah
06-19-2002, 05:23 AM
Ok guys first what should I use for hardware?

I have a folding rig 1.2g Athlon, k7s5a, unlimited amount of SDR or 128MB of DDR, 30g 5400 rpm HD and using the onboard LAN port.

I also have a HP 600cel, unlimited SDRAM, 10g 5400rpm HD kinda noisey PSU fan (I bet I could slow it down)

Should I just dedicate the HP system to it? Should I use a larger HD? how much RAM should I use? (512mb Max in the HP rig) Or should I just use the folding rig that already has a 30g hd?

Ok, also how will I use this with winamp? basically since I am a network newb how do I implement this other than making sure to make the folder available to the LAN. How do I peek in the system's HD? get my drift?

IFMU
06-19-2002, 05:12 PM
Ok, IMO the best way to do this would be to set up a decent CPU first, the 600 Celery should be ok. Next, hdd's should have some decent speed there. (read/write times) Ram, ass much as you can. Im not sure how say your 128 of DDR would be in comparison to say, to 512 of sdram on something like this. Odds are, since you would be limited to 128 DDR for now, Id go sdr for the time. Then max it out. As far as how to do it with winamp theres several ways.
1st, which I like. Set the server type up. Install winamp and all that in there. Then that way your main (gaming, etc) system isnt using resources while your listening to music on that one.
2nd set it all up, share the file all the info is in, then just read the music through the network to the machine your using.
Just share the folder, password it then let it run.

Simple, easy to do.

Hope this helps some.

Smizack
06-20-2002, 09:42 PM
Yeah, you'll want a bigger hard drive. 2 80's Raid 0 would be kew. And at the least 256 mgs ram. the more the better. Although this probably isn't something you want to put a lot more money into. In that case, I think your setup would be adequate.

All you need to do is share out the hdd for the other comp to see it. It's pretty simple. For 2 comps all you need is a crossover cable.

JBELL
06-21-2002, 12:12 AM
512mb ram max - it's a server more ram you have the more the progs have to feed through - so no more then 512mb ram

Raid 0 is a must!
scsi is better but ide will work fine

stompah
07-02-2002, 01:07 PM
Ok for now I will just use my old main rig as the server. You cant beat an 1800+ as a server hehe.

But how do I transfer files over LAN? I have enabled the folders to be shared. And I have no clue how to get winamp to retrieve files ver the LAN... I think it was IFMU who told me how... but I cant remember how to.

IFMU
07-02-2002, 08:58 PM
LoL... yes, It was I.

Open winamp, add song, then when you need to find the songs, ie, over the network. Bamb, done.

One thing I would suggest, make that computer play the music, play it on that one, so you are loosing no CPU power playing the music. That is what Im doing with my PPro setup. It will be my music/TV/DVD server of sorts.

stompah
07-03-2002, 02:07 AM
Ok but you see I have no clue how to retreive things from the network....

IFMU
07-03-2002, 02:11 AM
Ack, ok does this help any???

Take that there, and look where the stuff is... or have I gone to far? or? Need a lil more info as to what it is your not following here bubba.

Smizack
07-04-2002, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by stompah
Ok but you see I have no clue how to retreive things from the network....

This is just going to be P2P? Or are you gonna use a router or what? All you should have to do is share out the hard drive. Then like IFMU said, go to network places and you'll see the other comp's hdd there.

stompah
07-04-2002, 03:14 PM
Zone Alarm prevented me from seeing my other comps... go figure.

jmke
07-17-2002, 03:13 AM
5400rpm ata66 drives will suffice
also anything more then a 200mhz cpu for purely MP3 is overkill

:)