PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking my new Rig. (P5B-D w/E6600) Lots of Info!

Psyire
10-11-2006, 11:10 AM
Let me first off say I've created an .xls file for people to use. It's of all the BIOS settings for the Asus P5B-Deluxe motherboard. Use it, spread it around, do whatever you wish with it.

P5B-D Bios Screens Excel Spreadsheet (http://www.playhardrc.com/P5B-D-BIOS.xls)

By default it contains my settings as of right now.

Here is a list of my parts:

Intel Core™2 Duo Processor E6600 2.4GHz w/ 4MB Cache (L628A264)
Thermaltake Big Typhoon VX 120mm Silent Heatpipe Cooler
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
Asus P5B Deluxe - DualDDR2 800 Motherboard
Kingston HyperX 2GB PC2-6400 Dual Channel DDR2 Kit (2 x 1GB)
Sapphire Radeon X1900 XT 512MB GDDR3 PCI-E w/ VIVO, Dual DVI
Arctic Cooling Accelero X2 VGA Cooler
3x Seagate 320GB Barracuda 7200.10 SATA II w/ NCQ, 16MB Cache
Mitsumi 7-in-1 Internal Card Reader + Floppy Drive, Black
Plextor PX-755SA 16x16 Dual Layer DVD+/-RW, Serial ATA (Retail)
Thermaltake Matrix Va Mid Tower
Enermax Liberty Modular Power Supply, 500W
Win XP Pro SP2

I've basically installed winxp and loaded drivers. Now I'm trying to ramp up the speed to it's highest stable limit with acceptable temps.

Using Programs:
Coretemp
3dMark06
Orthos
SuperPI

After reading through a ton of threads on the 'net I've been able to get my system to run stable at 3.25GHz (356 FSB x9) and keep my load temp at under 60*C (Core temp, Ambient 23*C(warm))

By stable I mean Orthos, SuperPI, & 3dmark 06 Stable.

My main question is what do I have to do to get this thing running faster but not hotter. Below are my BIOS settings... perhaps I missed something? or maybe I have to re-install my HSF? (I'm thinking I could get my arctic silver on better?) Oh, and if I lower my core voltage from 1.4v I get unstable in Orthos. (atm)

Bios settings:

Main
IDE Config
SATA Config Enhanced
Config SATA as RAID
Hard Disk Write Protect Disabled
IDE Detect Time Out 35

Advanced
Jumper Free Configuration
AI Tuning Manual
CPU Freq 356
DRAM Freq DDR2-712Mhz
PCI Ex Freq 100
PCI Clk Freq 33.33
Spread Spectrum Disabled
Memory Volts Auto
CPU Vcore Volts 1.4
FSB Term Volts Auto
NB Vcore Auto
SB Vcore Auto
ICH Chipset Volts Auto

CPU Config
Modify Ratio Support Enabled
Ratio CMOS Setting 9
C1E Support Disabled
Max CPUID Value Limit Disabled
Vanderpool Tech Enabled
CPU TM function Enabled
Execute Disable Bit Enabled
PECI Disabled
Intel Speedstep Disabled

Chipset
North Bridge Config
Memory Remap Feature Disabled
Configure DRAM Timing SPD Disabled
DRAM CAS# Latency 5
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay 5
DRAM RAS# Precharge 5
DRAM RAS# Activate to Precharge 15
DRAM Write Recovery Time 6
DRAM TRFC 42
DRAM TRRD 10
Rank Write to Read Delay 10
Read to Precharge Delay 10
Write to Precharge Delay 10
Static Read Control Disable
Initiate Graphic Adapter PEG/PCI
PEG Port Config
PEG Force x1 Disabled
PEG Link Mode Auto
ASUS C.G.I. Auto

And finally...a picture:

http://playhardrc.com/compparts.jpg

ssabripo
10-11-2006, 12:23 PM
first of, your temps are not too bad....normal for air cooling. with that OC, you can run your Vcore lower, to say 1.375 and still be fine, while dropping your CPU temp a couple of degrees.

but you got a lot of work ahead...I suggest:

1. Start with RAM timings....play with that and see what is the tightest yet most stable you can get. You should be able to hit 4-4-4-8 fairly easy if you do it right, but at least 4-4-4-12-4-35

2. Once you get that squared, get your FSB, NB, SB voltages out of Auto if you plan on bumping your FSB some.....best to have manual control of that.

3. Start to increase your FSB by 10 increments, to say 370, then 380, etc.....keep in mind though that the P5b-deluxe has some known issues between 350-400fsb, so you may wanna skip this whole range and jump straight into 401 fsb.

keep iterating, and watch your temps.....also, make sure you have a good seat on your Heatsink.

good luck, and congrats

Shootist
10-11-2006, 12:30 PM
Not sure but I had a real tough time getting my E6600/P5B D/Corsair 5400C4 over 325 with any stability. Then I just said F it and bumped up all the voltages to near max and set the FSB to 401. No it didn't boot inkto windows, BSOD, but then I reset it to stock, loaded the 614 BIOS, again reset to default BIOS values and then I was able to get it to 356. This was with CPU V @ 1.425, Mem @ 2.15 and NB at 1.25. I have since been upping the voltages across all parts and now have it running at 378. But that is about it. I tried 401 again last night with voltages higher and got to the windows welcome screen for about .01 seconds then BSOD. For me to run at 378/3.42GHz I need 1.4375 CPU V, 2.25V Mem, NB 1.45V, FSB T V 1.5? (Not sure I'm not at home). I also have Vanderpool disabled.

M@iden
10-11-2006, 01:17 PM
I suggest what ssabripo is saying but doing the memory last, loosen out the memory to something like 5-5-5-15 on 1/1 (fsb 350 mem 700, fsb 400 mem 800 etc) to get memory out of the equation and once you have your CPU settings to your liking then start messing and tightening the memory to something like 4-4-4-12 or even better if you can at 1/1 or even 4/5 if you it will let you, also 401 and higher seems to be much easier than working on the 360 to 400 range even do this might be quicker that 401, 425 or whatever you can get until you reach 467 and higher I think.

This is a highly recommend read (probably why it's part of a sticky ;) ) and will explain it much better than I can

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=114998

Just my 2 cents and let us know how it goes, as I'm working on a similar setup

Good luck

M@iden

charlie
10-11-2006, 03:13 PM
nice pile of toys.

You should aim for 8 x 450ish at about 1.45v.
(change multi)
Run 1:1 as tight as the sticks will go. Hopefully 4-4-3?

Psyire
10-11-2006, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, I'm going to try and take it further tonight... we'll see what happens.

One thing I'm confused on is Core voltage.. I'm at 1.4v and running 3.25GHz, will I need to up this voltage for a higher clock speed if I reduce the multiplier and aim for a high FSB? If so, I'm not sure it's going to be possible due to the heat that more than 1.4v will cause?

Dax5
10-11-2006, 07:23 PM
what batch/ week is that?

mine easily hits 400 * 9 @ 1.45v without breaking a sweat and everything else in auto

my mems hit 890 1:1 4-4-4-12 @ 1. 8vdimm ;)

Psyire
10-11-2006, 07:41 PM
L628A264

I can run SuperPi and other programs at 400x9, but Orthos isn't stable.

Psyire
10-11-2006, 07:50 PM
I just found out it might be my memory holding me back... it seems to like 2.2 to 2.3 volts... I was undervolting it before

EDIT: Above 400FSB this allowed me to get a little further in orthos, but not totally stable (see below)

Psyire
10-11-2006, 07:55 PM
I disabled Vanderpool... that seemed to get a bit more stability from orthos...

Psyire
10-11-2006, 08:29 PM
So far the best orthos stable settings I have got are..

3.2Ghz, (8x400FSB) This settings has allowed me to stay in the 1033 strap and gain alittle extra from my memory. I am able to do this at 1.4 core volts @ 60*C load.

I'm having a hard time getting anything above this setting stable.

Settings:

Advanced
AI Tuning Manual
CPU Freq 400
DRAM Freq DDR2-800Mhz
PCI Ex Freq 100
PCI Clk Freq 33.33
Spread Spectrum Disabled
Memory Volts 2
CPU Vcore Volts 1.4
FSB Term Volts 1.2
NB Vcore 1.25
SB Vcore 1.5
ICH Chipset Volts Auto
---
CPU Config
Modify Ratio Support Enabled
Ratio CMOS Setting 8
C1E Support Disabled
Vanderpool Tech Disabled
CPU TM function Enabled
PECI Disabled
Intel Speedstep Disabled
---

SuperPi: (1M) = 15.766s

Revv23
10-11-2006, 09:17 PM
turn your NB vcore up to 1.45 at least, recommend 1.65 for highest FSB.

Turn up your multiplier to 9x. Put cpu volts at 1.5v...

If i were you i would try for 9x400 with the changes i made. However dont be surprised if it doesnt boot it, luckily asus makes overclock recovery easy.

Dont watch temps for now, see if its stable first. ;)

Good luck!

Edit - BTW Welcome to XS!!!!! :toast:

Psyire
10-11-2006, 09:33 PM
hmm.. thanks for the advice, but I'm pretty sure I won't maintain under 60*C at 1.5v

Is there any way around that without watercooling?

Speederlander
10-11-2006, 09:51 PM
hmm.. thanks for the advice, but I'm pretty sure I won't maintain under 60*C at 1.5v

Is there any way around that without watercooling?

Lap your processor and the bottom of your heatsink if you haven't already.

Psyire
10-11-2006, 10:29 PM
Is there a guide somewhere on how-to lap a c2d?

Dax5
10-11-2006, 11:12 PM
My bios settings: hope this helps!

Advanced
AI Tuning Manual
CPU Freq 400
DRAM Freq DDR2-800Mhz
PCI Ex Freq 101
PCI Clk Freq 33.33
Spread Spectrum Disabled
Memory Volts Auto
CPU Vcore Volts 1.45
FSB Term Volts Auto
NB Vcore Auto
SB Vcore Auto
ICH Chipset Volts Auto
---
CPU Config
Modify Ratio Support Disabled
C1E Support Disabled
Vanderpool Tech Disabled
CPU TM function Enabled
PECI Disabled
Intel Speedstep Disabled
---

IM 100% orthos stalbe with those settings. if i want to up the fsb to 445 fsb * 9 i just increase the vcore to 1.5 and leave everything else to AUTO

oysfaerg
10-11-2006, 11:19 PM
Often it helps setting PCI-e freq. to ~96MHz instead of raising it.

Psyire
10-16-2006, 01:49 PM
Well I think I've found my sweet spot.

It seems to be 361FSBx9= 3250mhz. I can run this stable @ 1.4vcore even with C1E and EIST enabled. This throttles the cpu to 361FSBx6= 2166mhz during low load/idle. I'm pretty sure this will be my best settings for everyday use. Stable meaning, Orthos, SuperPI & 3dmark06.

Temps with reported by Core temp are below 60*C @ load with Orthos. (42*C Idle)

Total system power = 204w (Idle) 259w (orthos load) 310w (3dmark06 load) Includes LCD Monitor.

I tried playing with everything and it was really hard to make anything stable without increasing my vcore which brings up the heat.

I might try again if future bios updates makes the 378FSB more stable.

swiftex
10-16-2006, 06:21 PM
L628A264

I can run SuperPi and other programs at 400x9, but Orthos isn't stable.

I've got an L628A264 as well, purchased in Toronto Canada, where'd you get your's?

Psyire
10-16-2006, 06:47 PM
I bought mine @

www.memoryexpress.com

in Edmonton, Alberta

Psyire
10-16-2006, 09:50 PM
After deciding on the final FSB & CPU ratios I decided to try and dial in my RAM timings... something strange happened.

I lowered from CAS 5 to CAS 4 and my SuperPI times Increased! So I'm thinking I'll leave them where they are at. 903mhz @ CAS 5. (361FSBx9) 4:5 RAM

ea6gka
10-17-2006, 12:44 AM
nice pile of toys.

except for the Accelero , this HS sucks really hard. Do your self a favor mate buy a Thermalright - zalman or your MB will get cooked

Psyire
10-17-2006, 11:34 AM
except for the Accelero , this HS sucks really hard. Do your self a favor mate buy a Thermalright - zalman or your MB will get cooked

My idle temps are 52*C and load is 74*C. This is MUCH better than the stock HSF, and at a fan speed of 1/3. (it's super quiet, infact I can't hear it)

(Zalman is no better and costs much more)

Others say similar...

http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/accel/

http://www.barrys-rigs-n-reviews.com/reviews/2006/hardware/accelero_x2/x2_1.htm

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/accelerox2/4.html

http://www.3dchipset.com/forum/showthread.php?t=903&goto=nextoldest

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?p=2476774

swiftex
10-19-2006, 07:19 PM
My idle temps are 52*C and load is 74*C. This is MUCH better than the stock HSF, and at a fan speed of 1/3. (it's super quiet, infact I can't hear it)

(Zalman is no better and costs much more)

Others say similar...

http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/accel/

http://www.barrys-rigs-n-reviews.com/reviews/2006/hardware/accelero_x2/x2_1.htm

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/accelerox2/4.html

http://www.3dchipset.com/forum/showthread.php?t=903&goto=nextoldest

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?p=2476774

Psyire;

he's trying to tell you to get a cooler for the cpu!!! not talking gpu cooler....

Psyire
10-20-2006, 11:09 PM
If that is the case, I have no idea why he would say my MB will get cooked? or mention the Accelero? ohwell, no big deal...

I was out of town for a few days and now after getting back and reading up on my SATA Burner problem... it looks as though I may need to reinstall windows again. (Asus and JMicron really need to do lunch and fix their problems)

swiftex
10-21-2006, 11:12 AM
If that is the case, I have no idea why he would say my MB will get cooked? or mention the Accelero? ohwell, no big deal...

I was out of town for a few days and now after getting back and reading up on my SATA Burner problem... it looks as though I may need to reinstall windows again. (Asus and JMicron really need to do lunch and fix their problems)

Do "f6" for drivers at beginning of Windows install. Make sure you install intel and jmicron raid drivers during "f6" in setup. This is how you get the ide devices to work (set jmicron in device configuration bios to "ide").

I have 6 sataII drives and LG DVD burner running flawlessly with this setup.

Good luck!

Psyire
10-21-2006, 12:17 PM
Ok,

I tried this and this is what happened... I installed both drivers during "F6". But after the drive was done formating it only asked to insert the intel disk once again. Upon restart and first boot into windows the machine kept restarting as soon as windows tried to fire up. I disabled the JMicron Controller in the BIOS and it booted into windows no problem. I have it set to IDE in the bios and the Intel controller set to RAID. I'm just doing a full format on the second partition and then I will reboot and enabled the JMicron again. Hopefully it will go into windows. ?

cadaveca
10-21-2006, 12:30 PM
I'm on same week/batch from same store. 3.75ghz @ 1.65v under water 59c load. 3.5 @ 1.55v air 66c load, 390x9 FSB. On diff board tho.

Psyire
10-21-2006, 04:02 PM
Found out I had some ACPI settings in the BIOS wrong... So I had to reinstall windows as it only recognized 1 core? (I am setting up an identical computer for a friend) I plan to reload windows on my machine after... especially if this method works for the JMicron controller. ("F6" driver only)

Cadaveca: I could probably run those numbers on Air but not in my hot humid upstairs room. (huge fish tank) I am tempted to splurge for water cooling, but I think this upgrade will be just fine until I can drop a kentsfield on this board.

swiftex
10-22-2006, 04:20 PM
Found out I had some ACPI settings in the BIOS wrong... So I had to reinstall windows as it only recognized 1 core? (I am setting up an identical computer for a friend) I plan to reload windows on my machine after... especially if this method works for the JMicron controller. ("F6" driver only)

Cadaveca: I could probably run those numbers on Air but not in my hot humid upstairs room. (huge fish tank) I am tempted to splurge for water cooling, but I think this upgrade will be just fine until I can drop a kentsfield on this board.

everything should be fine, good luck!

Psyire
10-23-2006, 09:58 PM
So I reinstalled windows and things are looking pretty good now.

I have the JMicron set to AHCI in the BIOS. (before windows install)

I installed things in this order:

Windows XP (F6 Drivers for ICH8R Raid, and JMicron AHCI)
Intel Chipset Inf Install
Intel Matrix Storage Manager
Marvell Network
Windows Update (everything except JMicron Driver & ATI Driver)
ATI Catalyst Drivers (6.9 with Control Center)
Samsung Monitor Driver
SoundMax Audio

3 things remain somewhat puzzling.

In device manager I still have a 'unknown' device listed and if I go 'properties', it says it's on the ICH8R Interface. Did I miss installing something? (The main controller is listed fine under 'scsi & raid controllers)

After installing the Audio drivers on with these boards I've noticed a slight pause in navigating through folders in windows explorer. The pause is gone if the Soundmax drivers aren't installed. My previous install (of 4 total) I managed to somehow avoid this pause and the only thing I did differently is installed the Audio last. So I tried this again (see above) and the pause is there. It's strange. Anyone else experience this?

The only way I can get the fastest read/write time out of my Plextor burner is to install Plextools and update to 2.35 then set my spin down times to 4 seconds (from a default of 2 mins??) and set my read speeds as high as they go, and enable Speedread. I find it strange the burner won't do these speeds without the help of Plextools. Any thoughts?

Other than that I think I'm pretty good. My 3dmark06 score is 6122. (default settings) I don't have a whole lot to compare to but I think it's pretty good for this card.

If anyone can help me out with the above 3 things that would be cool.

swiftex
10-24-2006, 10:33 AM
So I reinstalled windows and things are looking pretty good now.

I have the JMicron set to AHCI in the BIOS. (before windows install)

I installed things in this order:

Windows XP (F6 Drivers for ICH8R Raid, and JMicron AHCI)
Intel Chipset Inf Install
Intel Matrix Storage Manager
Marvell Network
Windows Update (everything except JMicron Driver & ATI Driver)
ATI Catalyst Drivers (6.9 with Control Center)
Samsung Monitor Driver
SoundMax Audio

3 things remain somewhat puzzling.

In device manager I still have a 'unknown' device listed and if I go 'properties', it says it's on the ICH8R Interface. Did I miss installing something? (The main controller is listed fine under 'scsi & raid controllers)

After installing the Audio drivers on with these boards I've noticed a slight pause in navigating through folders in windows explorer. The pause is gone if the Soundmax drivers aren't installed. My previous install (of 4 total) I managed to somehow avoid this pause and the only thing I did differently is installed the Audio last. So I tried this again (see above) and the pause is there. It's strange. Anyone else experience this?

The only way I can get the fastest read/write time out of my Plextor burner is to install Plextools and update to 2.35 then set my spin down times to 4 seconds (from a default of 2 mins??) and set my read speeds as high as they go, and enable Speedread. I find it strange the burner won't do these speeds without the help of Plextools. Any thoughts?

Other than that I think I'm pretty good. My 3dmark06 score is 6122. (default settings) I don't have a whole lot to compare to but I think it's pretty good for this card.

If anyone can help me out with the above 3 things that would be cool.

hi hi,
#1: good question, no answer, inclined to believe related to Intel Matrix Storage Manager etc., setup, but working fine so would not worry
#2: soundmax driver has given problems to a lot of people, i installed a sound card but developed intermittent freezes that may be bios related, i'm still not sure
#3: i wonder if this may be another bios issue

i'm hoping for another bios release, i have a feeling it may have a lot to do with new chipset p965 and ddr2 memory, whoever knows, we are just guinea pigs at times, or, so it seems.

swiftex
10-24-2006, 12:29 PM
hi hi,
#1: good question, no answer, inclined to believe related to Intel Matrix Storage Manager etc., setup, but working fine so would not worry
#2: soundmax driver has given problems to a lot of people, i installed a sound card but developed intermittent freezes that may be bios related, i'm still not sure
#3: i wonder if this may be another bios issue

i'm hoping for another bios release, i have a feeling it may have a lot to do with new chipset p965 and ddr2 memory, whoever knows, we are just guinea pigs at times, or, so it seems.

I was missing the sm bus controller, used intel update utility and solved that. That "unknown device", wonder why?

I checked my device manager and as I said " ? sm bus controller(missing) " was present, updated, but no "unknown devices" listed at all.

Psyire
10-24-2006, 08:23 PM
Do you have a link to the exact intel update utility you used?

I'm not seeing an SM bus controller in my device manager...

swiftex
10-25-2006, 05:50 PM
Do you have a link to the exact intel update utility you used?

I'm not seeing an SM bus controller in my device manager...

doublecheck to make sure, I've included a copy of my system for your reference...........

notice the sm bus controller, it should automatically install from the intel chipset inf utility

Psyire
10-25-2006, 11:06 PM
Ok. it's there.

BUT

I don't have that "ATK0110 ACPI Utility"?

What are your ACPI Bios settings?

Psyire
10-26-2006, 08:42 PM
Googled solved the problem for me.

I did not install AI Booster, so I got this 'unknown device' - Pretty stupid if you ask me...

swiftex
10-28-2006, 08:27 AM
Googled solved the problem for me.

I did not install AI Booster, so I got this 'unknown device' - Pretty stupid if you ask me...

so, is everything ok now?

Psyire
10-28-2006, 10:06 AM
Everything except random 'pauses' in explorer. I'm 99.9% sure this is caused by the sound drivers as these pauses aren't there before they were installed.

I may look to upgrade to an actual sound card.

I also ordered a lapping kit, I've decided to lap the processor and HSF. I'd really like to see 400x9. If I can get a 5-6*C drop, I should be able to achieve this.

swiftex
10-28-2006, 05:18 PM
Everything except random 'pauses' in explorer. I'm 99.9% sure this is caused by the sound drivers as these pauses aren't there before they were installed.

I also ordered a lapping kit, I've decided to lap the processor and HSF. I'd really like to see 400x9. If I can get a 5-6*C drop, I should be able to achieve this.

that's an oddity, I had a crackling sound with the soundmax drivers, then got a auzentech Xplosion 7.1 sound card and freezeups started,

thought maybe irq conflict, then disabled the pci onboard ethernet but kept onboard gigabite ethernet enabled, freezes seen to have stopped........

also, updated to the 0804 bios, everything running quite well

are you using ie7? i'm using this browser without a problem, earlier versions were a pain in the butt

380x9 e6600, 2gb's ocz pc-8000 ram 2:3 divider ddr-1140, 2x bfg 7950gt's Sli which I cannot o/c or else sytem freezes,

i really think we need to wait for a better bios from asus but all told it's working well for me

swiftex
10-28-2006, 10:21 PM

with lapping and a thermaltake big typhoon and upgrading it's 120mm fan or a scythe infinity with 2 - 120mm fans in a push pull configuration you should easily drop 10c