PDA

View Full Version : [LINUX]Ati Drivers?

Entity_Razer
10-11-2006, 03:32 AM
Well i'm thinking of going dual boot on my Xeon and running ubuntu on it, now i play WoW a lot and i'm wondering if ati driver support has changed since i last tried to game on a linux rig

So i'm wondering if ati drivers have gotten good enough to play games at a decent framerate (say 30 on average) with same settings i do in Windows? (almost full detail, about 35 FPS on average

And if so, whats the best/easiest way to install all the neccesairy drivers and stuff like that to run games? i know wine or cedega is manditory (emulate) but i'm not really familiar with linux no more since my very few endeavors to get a good rig up and running with 3D support.

uOpt
10-11-2006, 09:01 AM
Nice try.

First of all it is questionable whether WoW really works that great in Cedega that you will like it. Then you run into trouble with ATI's lousy drivers and Cedega (right after you run into ATI driver trouble with everything else).

If you make it through all that, then yes the framerate will suck, and that is after leaving out a number of graphical features compared to Windows.

Last but not least if they still use Worldpay to pay for Cedega you can kiss the privacy of your credit card info goodbye.

Why anyone buys ATI is bejond me :rolleyes:

[XC] Teroedni
10-11-2006, 10:17 AM
Well i never had a recent Ati card myself, but i know that the drivers are getting better in Linux and much easier to set up. But i think you will get better result now than before and Ubuntu is really a great Distribution to start with.

When it comes to cedega
Keep away from them. They only rip the community and dont give anything back:slapass:

Wine will work perfectly fine for WOW now as wine had a lot of fixes :D
However if you find wine to difficult, theres just have come up a new alternative

Crossover have released a Beta of their linux crossover program
The beta is located here
http://www.codeweavers.com/beta/cxlinux/
You can try it for 60 days without having to pay anything, and they say Wow works with it.

Good Luck

Entity_Razer
10-12-2006, 07:31 AM
Nice try.

First of all it is questionable whether WoW really works that great in Cedega that you will like it. Then you run into trouble with ATI's lousy drivers and Cedega (right after you run into ATI driver trouble with everything else).

If you make it through all that, then yes the framerate will suck, and that is after leaving out a number of graphical features compared to Windows.

Last but not least if they still use Worldpay to pay for Cedega you can kiss the privacy of your credit card info goodbye.

Why anyone buys ATI is bejond me :rolleyes:

Well thats what i'm looking to find out, if it'll be playable. the rig has enough CPU power for the emulation normally but its the drivers that i'm worried about. and i bought ATI because at that time, for that price, the card rocked the competition HARD (9800XT)

and: keep away from Cedega, understood :)

[XC] Teroedni
10-12-2006, 08:14 AM
Here are review of some of Ati recent driver
Phoronix have done alot of theese so if you search there you may find some more info regarding how the Linux ati driver goes against catalyst windows one

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=532&num=4

uOpt
10-18-2006, 08:57 PM
Here are review of some of Ati recent driver
Phoronix have done alot of theese so if you search there you may find some more info regarding how the Linux ati driver goes against catalyst windows one

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=532&num=4

Yeah but not through Cedega/Wine with the DirectX to OpenGL converter (and yes, that is what is happening there).