PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on a good stuff to begin learning to volt mod??

Kunaak
04-21-2003, 08:20 AM
I want to get the right hardware.
not cheap stuff, good stuff.
I have a few general ideas, but I would like some recommendations from the more experienced volt modders here.

any suggestions to beging learning would be very welcome.

:D

bowman1964
04-26-2003, 08:38 PM
am i right in thinking you wish to know what supplies you need to do the assortmet of differant mods.
well if so you need a good soldering iron of course.
solder.
dig meter.with grabbers.
resistor/capacitor color code sheet #271-1210 (so you will know what each color strip means on a resistor).
pick you up a assortment of resistors from radio shack.these can be purchaced in a bundle saving you money.i use 1/4 watt 5%
i keep 1k,2k and 10k vr 15 turn vr trimmers (resistor)but you can get by with 1k and 10k
i use a tackle box to store my stuff in.it is handy to have them in one place.
here is my tackle box,yea i keep over 50 vr resistors all the time.

i am sure some of the guys have other things that i dont,this is just some of what i keep on hand.

Kunaak
04-26-2003, 10:17 PM
I want to learn everything about doing my own Vmods and such.
I am quite good at learning thing, just with volt modding I don't seem to have much help in learning to be more knowledgable with volt mods.
I can't really figire where to start learning and such.

I was thinking of begining with some old hardware, old motherboards, old videocards, and starting to do VM's on them to learn with, cause they are cheap.

xxORBxx
05-18-2003, 07:56 AM
Thats impressive bowman...

MrAngry
05-18-2003, 08:26 PM
Bowman,
I guess you don't have to worry about needing that one little item just after the local radio shack has closed for the night huh?, or is that how you ended up with all those goodies? I just did a vdd mod on an NF7 and had some strange things happen with the voltage, maybe you can give me some input, I posted the info in this thread:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13141

StevieC
05-28-2003, 07:45 AM
There seems to be a consensous of opinion that 0.25W or 0.5W resistors is right?? Trust me, Way too big. If you 'Have' to use conventional Axial resistors? try to find 1/8W type. This range have finer wire terminations, much easier to attach to SMD's or IC pin/legs. Don't forget, the resistors your 'tweaking' or bridging on the PCB are only 0.1 Watt rating (assuming 0603 SMD size). Don't make it hard for yourselves trying to 'tack-on' wires that are 'Bigger' that the SMD resistor your trying to attach it to.

I've looked at most of the V-mod posts, some are 'nearly' right most are dead wrong. Especially the VFB 2 MegOhm one :( that one is a high impedance, sensitive input. Although it may appear to work fine, monitoring the new 'higher' rail will show some real horrors, adding long wires, resistors, pots etc is affectively an Antenna. As for Glue guns?? to do the mods, I'm not even gonna comment on that :D

The nearest to right way is the R628/R630 resistor mod (note I'm using my A7N8X-Deluxe as an example) As these 2 resistors are used to determine the output voltage required, it has to be logical to change the value here to create a new 'official' output voltage., without the interference ;) Although this is the correct way to pre-set the vdd volts, using long leads, and trim-pots is still a bit naff :( Paralleling an SMD resistor on top of the original is normal modding technique, often seen on brand new pcb's, were a revision has called for a lower resistance somewhere. The best way, is to determine the combined resistance of the original and the extra resistor/pot. This can be tricky, as other parts on the PCB alter the measured resistance when measuring whilst the SMD resistor is soldered to the PCB. I will opt for removing the original SMD res (R628 in my case) and replacing it with slightly lower value, after measuring its resistance with the trimpot attached, Luckily, I own some sophisticated soldering/de-soldering gear here, (used for my work) so this is a piece of cake, I use a Metcal RF 'Talon' for desoldering these tiny smd's, a bit like 2 soldering irons in a tiny pair of tweezers ;)
For the A7N8X-D I reckon about 1.75V should do it. Once the required resistance is 'known' either swap the original res, or tack one, equivalent to the 'external' pot/res combo over the original, using another SMD res. I note that most of you won't have the sort of gear required for this job, but may have access to some one who can do it. Anybody that works in SMD will have the gear for this easy job. I note that many oc'ers that have tried the vdd mod, using the naff method, have borked there mobo's :( The VRef in method is much safer/easier, also, its where the volts for the chip are meant to be set. Avoid the FB mod, too risky, yup I know theres loads who have done it ;) but its the wrong place to do it, whatever they say. and will make the rails dirtier.

Steve
[Electronic Designer]

Major
05-28-2003, 08:18 AM
Kunaak you just have to get your feet wet, its alot easier than you think. Hands on is the only way your going to learn unless you have someone who can show you. Like Bowman said you just need a couple of baic tools, and maybe a beer or two for the shakes !

Welcome to Xtreme Forums StevieC, I think you lost Kunaak's question somewhere in your post ! hehe Most of the guys here are not engineers, they just want the fastest computer on the block or in Opps case the world. hehe

Susquehannock
05-30-2003, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Major Slaughter
Kunaak you just have to get your feet wet, its alot easier than you think. Hands on is the only way your going to learn unless you have someone who can show you. Like Bowman said you just need a couple of baic tools, and maybe a beer or two for the shakes !

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Well said, MajorS. You just have to jump in Kunaak.
Nothing beats hands on experience. Only one way to get that.;)

Check out this place:
* All Electronics.com * (http://www.allelectronics.com/index.html)
There you can buy anything you need for CHEAP.
The first thing you'll need is a MultiMeter.
THIS (http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=760&item=DVM-850BL&type=store) one looks
to quite good for $18.:)
There is a cheap $8 model there too if you want to go that route.

I'm still quite new at electronics myself Kunaak.
Something which helped me get over the first time jitters was
a couple small hobby kits. There are all sorts of little
radio or infrared alarm kits that can be quite useful in learning the
basics. Might be nice to build a kit that could be used as a
computer mod, ... like a set of LED's that flash with the music. They have one HERE (http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=305&item=MK-1031&type=store) for $9.

Hope those help ... good luck! ............... 'nnock:D

TheDude
05-31-2003, 03:43 AM
Kunaak,

I think your idea of starting with old junk boards and cards is good. Also Susquehannock's idea of practice with kits to get some experience.

StevieC,

Welcome to Xtreme
:toast:

Bowman,

What color combo resistors will catch the really big lunkers? :D

Holst
05-31-2003, 02:45 PM
A multimeter is a must have, even a cheap digital £15 one will be fine for most mods.

A good quality soldering iron as well, plus solder and a propper stand. Look after your iron clean the tip when your done working dont use it to poke holes in plastic or other silly stuff (my mother + my soldering iron + plant pots = me pissed off)

I have a tray similar to bowmans with stuff ive picked up over time. If your in the uk you can buy 50 variable resistors from www.greenweld.co.uk for just a few pounds I have from 10ohms to 5mega ohms in cermets just from one purchase.

Get some dead stuff and play around. If you dont have any dead stuff do some volt mods and create some :)
The more practice you get the better.

Also get a good set of pliers and wire cutters plus some small tweasers and some decent copper wire (various sizes).

As StevieC states the methods of modding shown on websites are often not the best ways to do things.
I often find that you can do things much neater and safer by following traces on the board with your DVM till you find the right SMD to swap. This can take some time but its often worth doing.

Welcome to XS steveC its allwayc nice to see electronics pro's on here to help out.
maybee you would like to post some info on your mods up as id love to see how you have done vmods.

StevieC
12-06-2003, 04:14 AM
Hi guys... Its been many moons since I've been here :( as I just had a birthday greeting from jamaljaco in my email, thx mate, I though I'd better getback here to see wots wot. Much has happened since my last post, you guys are certainly rocking well.

I still haven't done much to my rig, mainly coz I'm working on a patent that just got granted ;) so I need the PC to be stable. (de-Over-Clocked at the mo) I'll soon be back on the rip-it-up trail.

When I get free of work, I'll publish the exact values for the SMD resistor 'swop-mod' this is likely to be in the E96 range of values, (odd values normally)

I miss being here, but work is messing with my fun.

Keep up the good work...

Steve

BMORIN
12-15-2003, 05:17 PM
Buy some SMD grabbers from outpost.com and it helps when you are just trying to do something quick, clean, and short term.

Vlad Draculea
12-16-2003, 11:48 AM
bol mos? ju nids bol mos