PDA

View Full Version : ASUS P5B - Is the board limited in overclockability

[XC] serlv
10-07-2006, 04:47 PM
compared to the DLx version. I'm looking at getting another motherboard and really like my P5B Dlx, but don't like the price...

Will my ability to OC be limited ( voltages, settings, etc.) if I get this board?

Fr3ak
10-07-2006, 05:19 PM
As far as I know, the bios is the same.
But I dont know if it overclocks as good.

itznfb
10-07-2006, 06:13 PM
i don't think your OCability will be limited. though a great budget solution is E6300/Gigabyte S3/1GB DDR2-667

rob725
10-07-2006, 08:45 PM
I've been meaning to ask for an update on that, itz. how's it doing.

rob725
10-07-2006, 09:34 PM
compared to the DLx version. I'm looking at getting another motherboard and really like my P5B Dlx, but don't like the price...

Will my ability to OC be limited ( voltages, settings, etc.) if I get this board?

There was a thread on vanilla p5b, but I can't find it. I remember being somewhat underwhelmed, definitely not as good as p5b D, and I don't remember it doing any better than what itz got on his s3, if that good.

You can also save a little on p5b D by leaving off the wifi, $190 at newegg last I checked.

The p5b-e shows some promise, but sounds like it might pay to wait a month:http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=114123

itznfb
10-08-2006, 06:43 AM
p5b-e is worthless if you're buying decent ram. i could be wrong but last i heard it was limited to 2.1vdimm?

serlv what CPU are you using with it?

rob725
10-08-2006, 07:59 AM
That's why I suggested one might want to wait a month for the next mb revision, although I'm able to run gskill hz @ least 430 fsb @ 2.1

Movieman
10-08-2006, 08:20 AM
My 2 cents: Scott: Better to have a good board than to have 2 years of grief with a cheaper one. I know thats hard to see when $$ are an issue but personally I'd rather wait an additional 2-4 weeks and have the $$ to get the better board. I still have a supermicro S2DGU dual P3 xeon board that is excellent and the damned thing is a 1998 board.
Wait and get the good one..;)

rob725
10-08-2006, 09:06 AM
That said, the p5b is an awfully easy oc-er, especiallly now that the cold-boot problem is fixed in the latest bios.

Still, I'd like to try an s3, at $115. I have a few friends who want to build budget c2d boxes, so I'd like to get a little experience. Can't decide between 63 or 6400. How fast did get yours to go, Itznfb?

[XC] serlv
10-08-2006, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the good input, guys.

I posted here, as I know there are a bunch of us getting into these systems, and I feel more comfortable w/i the confines of this smaller "crunchin" community.

I've read a lot since posting and for me the plain P5B is out. I then read alot on the -E, that board shows a lot of promise ( the -E "Plus" even more so, but it doesn't look like we'll be getting that stateside ). Seems there are two versions, call 'em the 1 and the 2. The 1 only has VDimm up to 2.1, whereas the 2 has VDim up to 2.4 ( or was it 2.45? ). There is also the issue of th C2 chipset vs the C1 chipset. I guess the C2 boards are what I'm calling the "2". It is not the latter chipset alone that is responsible for the "2" being better, but that and the other improvements. It is quite a crapshoot, at this point, as to which one you'd get if you ordered one, now. There is no clear answer, "such and such a a place is shipping only the "2"'s". So, if buying one I would be prepared to send it back, immediately if it wasnt the "2".

Not sure I want to deal with that.

I was looking at other boards, too. The Abit(s).

The MAX certainly seems like a desirable board, but is out of stock at the 'Egg (AW9D-MAX).

I am also curious about the ABIT AB9 Pro. Trying to do some reading on that. Haven't read enough to say one way or another yet ( but I'm still researching... ).

I will be getting an E6400, but will probably put that in my DS3, and be using the E6600 that is in there in the newer board, whatever that is. Actually, I'm looking to get two boards and two chips.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

What about RAM?

What's good AND reasonable at the present moment?

So far, I've bought Team Group's DDR667 and Patriot's DDR667. I've been pleased with both of those, but just wondering what is good, available and the "hot ticket" right now, but is manageable price-wise.

I was thinking of going 2 x 512MB, but am having second thoughts. On my two current systems I have gone 2 x 1GB and I really like that setup. At times, when I've had a third system here, I'll "steal" a stick for it and run with one. But I think I really prefer 2 GB. So, that is the route I'll probably take, but split it at first. Even if I go with 2 CPU's and two boards, I'll just get one 2 GB set, initially.

So, any suggestions on the RAM?

rob725
10-08-2006, 09:49 AM
How do you like your ds3 and why are you wanting to drop your 6600 in something else?

ZZF has ABIT Max, but they've upped the price: http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=240505

Seems like the jury is still out a little on that board, but there have been some promising results. With a 6600, you will probably max the chip before the board. Also, under extreme cooling you have more voltage available without modding it.

I think if I'm going to spend 200+ then I like the p5b D, especially if you want high clocks on the allendales or easy oc for 6600.

For ram, team group seems to be very popular. I like this stuff:
gskill ddr2 800 hz (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231065)

For the budget c2d s3-based cruncher I'm considering 2x512 of that same ram.

itznfb
10-08-2006, 10:01 AM
i run 472x7 24/7 on my E6300/S3 setup. on my E6600/P5B Dlx i run 438x8 24/7. Max stable OC on the S3 was 525x7, max stable on the P5B was 400x9. even at a lower core clock, the P5B still runs faster pi times, and general day to day use is much faster and smoother.

as for ram, i really think it's hard to go wrong. there are so many excellent OCers out there. i got a set of crucial ballistix ddr2-667 1gb kit on clearance for $109 and they run 1050mhz undervolted to 2.0vdimm with ease. my patriot 2gb kit ddr-800 clock easily 1200mhz with a little extra voltage.

my temps are horrible on the E6600/P5B setup. i think the scyth infinity is resting on the vregs and making full contact. either that or the IHS is incredibly concave.

well, let me give you a heads-up. i am sending an Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi/AP back for RMA tomorrow and when i get the replacement, either the S3 or the new WiFi/AP are going up for sale.

Fr3ak
10-08-2006, 11:06 AM
I just orderd stuff for another allendale rig. I went with the DS3. Best "cheap" board out right now in my eyes.
As for Ram, there are really a lot of great kits out. Corsair, Teamgroup and Gskill have exellent ram.
But I somehow dont agree with getting 2gb for a cruncher. I have a single 1024Mb stick of G.Skill HZ in my gaming rig. Thats enough for everything I ran with that thing, so I dont see why you would need 2gb for crunching.
I just sold my stick to get a Cellshock 2Gb Kit, so I can tell you how much of a difference it makes. But from the games benches I have seen, there are only a few games that benefit of having 2gb over 1gb.
Ram is freaking expensive right now, which is why I would get a 2gb Kit and run 1 stick per cruncher. You can always get another 2gb kit if you think its needed.
The teamgroup pc667 is one of the best ram you can get right now. G.Skill HZ is also quite good, but expensive. Cellshock ram is also on par with g.skill and a lot less than the g.skill, but I dont think its available in the US yet. If you want a kit anyway, I can send you one.

[XC] serlv
10-08-2006, 11:27 AM
But I somehow dont agree with getting 2gb for a cruncher.

I agree, somewhat, with that. However, I'm into the project primarily to crunch Cancer units... The machines seem to run smoother with 2 gigs while crunching Cancer units.

Ram is freaking expensive right now, which is why I would get a 2gb Kit and run 1 stick per cruncher. You can always get another 2gb kit if you think its needed. My thinking exactly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Fr3ak
10-08-2006, 11:53 AM
Shipping with DHL airmail is 12.90euro and the ram is 260euro for a 2gb Kit PC 800 4 4 4 12. But from what I have seen it is likely that it can do 900 3 3 3 x at 2.4V.
I am about to order one of those for myself anyway, so you wouldnt have to pay for shipping.
260+13euro = 273euro, which is about 344$. Hmm not that cheap then :/
I dont know latest us prices, but I am almost sure you could get a nice Teamgroup kit for that price.

[XC] serlv
10-08-2006, 12:19 PM
Shipping with DHL airmail is 12.90euro and the ram is 260euro for a 2gb Kit PC 800 4 4 4 12. But from what I have seen it is likely that it can do 900 3 3 3 x at 2.4V.
I am about to order one of those for myself anyway, so you wouldnt have to pay for shipping.
260+13euro = 273euro, which is about 344$. Hmm not that cheap then :/
I dont know latest us prices, but I am almost sure you could get a nice Teamgroup kit for that price.

Yeah, you're probably right 'bout that. I'll just have to wait til they get a presence over here ( and hope it is the same ood stuff ).
The Team would be he best bet. I love the pair of Team I have now ( if only I was thinking ahead and picked up a couple of sets at $187.. :); only bought the one set, then they ran out of the low price stuff like the next day! )
Thanks for thinking 'bout me, though.

Now, if only I could get someone to pick me up an Asus P5B-E Plus, seeing as it won't be available over here. It would probably have to be one of our Far Eastern teammates...

Fr3ak
10-08-2006, 12:27 PM
Ye I was gonna order that teamgroup ram too. Was damn nice memory for a unbeatable price. I always miss those possibilities :/ Now I have to pay 340$ for ram, having in mind it could have been 190$ aswell.

[XC] serlv
10-08-2006, 12:54 PM
nvrmind

rob725
10-08-2006, 01:13 PM
I crunch cancer on 1mb machines just fine; I think it becomes more of an issue if your going to be using the machine for other things and the cancer wu has to swap its memory in and out.

The 1 gb stick approach offers more flexibility and better price/gb, but gives up dual-channel obviously when running alone.

Bandwidth seems to yield greater dividends on c2d than tight timings, speaking of which, ddr 1200 easily, itznfb! OMG. The patriot's cheaper than gskill and not much more than team 667. Also, great deal on the crucial; it's gone up.

Also, itznfb, those are fantastic results you got on the S3. With everyone :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:ing about high mobo prices, I can't believe that board is not getting more buzz. Did you have to work real hard to get 470-525, or was it pretty straight forward?

You mentioned the p5b seemed a little quicker; did you try the 6600 and 2mb in both boards?

[XC] serlv
10-08-2006, 01:23 PM
I crunch cancer on 1mb machines just fine; I think it becomes more of an issue if your going to be using the machine for other things and the cancer wu has to swap its memory in and out.

Yeah, that is probably it. I have two C2D machines, now. And tend to use them more than other systems. One is in "the front" of the house, and one is in the back. Once I am running more than two, then I'll probably only need the 2 GB complement on those two. The others will be mainly crunchers, so they'll do fine with 1 GB.

itznfb
10-08-2006, 01:28 PM
as for the patriot ram, its great ram, but as mentioned took some extra volts, and looser timings, so i guess i shouldn't say it was easy. i think you might be thinking of a different kit, cuz the patriot is about $100 more than the comparable gskill. the HZ's are about the same price, and should yeild the same results. i was also only able to get 1200ddr with my old 6600 and old p5b wifi.

the best setup was the p5b wifi/e6600/patriot. i got the p5b nonwifi now and i couldn't hit 600FSB, not even close. i can barely hit 500fsb. even so, the e6600 and p5b setup just seem to be much smoother in the OS. the e6600 in the s3 ran similar to the 6300 in the s3. with the patriot and the 6600 in the s3, it still lagged a little in OS. (the lagging occurs while running WCG and other apps)

on the S3, it did 499FSB on all stock volts. as soon as i hit 500FSB, it took quite a bit of tweaking/trial and error/and time to get it as high as i did.

rob725
10-08-2006, 02:29 PM
Looser timings and more volts are to be expected; 1200 is some serious bandwidth.

For the patriot 2gb, at newegg right now there is a $25 instant savings and a $30 mail-in rebate, bringing them down to 275, which is less then team 667, 283 at tank guys.

I've also heard some good things about super-talent.

Edit: Just noticed Team has looser-timed 667 @ $193. Have no idea as to relative difference for oc.

Fr3ak
10-08-2006, 02:54 PM
That is the old kit rated pc667 3 4 4 x, which is discontinued and replaced by the more expensive pc667 3 3 3 x kit.

rob725
10-08-2006, 04:43 PM
Yep; should have clicked one more time.

itznfb
10-08-2006, 08:21 PM
i also think the patriot on sale now are using cheaper chips. not sure about this though.

i think the best kit to go with would be the gskill hz's.