PDA

View Full Version : HZ + DFI Ultra-D + new bios = less oc?

minsc_tdp
10-06-2006, 06:41 PM
I've been running 2GB G.Skill F1-4000USU2-2GBHZ series on my DFI UT NF4 Ultra-D at 275 MHz, 1:1 (no divider), at 2.8V for a while with no problems. LDT/HTT multi was 3 (so, 1650 HTT, well within the 2000 limit for Socket 939/Clawhammer Athlon 64 4000+), CPU multi was 9.5 for 2612 MHz. Due to some problems with previous memory, I set all the DRAM settings to AUTO and that seemed to work well with the G.Skill also, so I left it.

That was under the 6/23 bios. I just upgraded to the latest BIOS and carefully restored all of my previous settings by hand. But, no boot - it would POST and just before saving the BIOS backup, it would reboot. I tried increasing the LDT voltage a little, and lowering the LDT multiplier to 2, no go.

If I drop it to 250 MHz FSB with an LDT/HTT multiplier of 3, it works great, even with a higher CPU multiplier (10.5, so CPU is 2625 MHz). So, something about this new BIOS forced me to lower my FSB.

I recall someone mentioning that 275 MHz FSB on this board was tricky due to something with the HTT/LDT, but even lowered, no good. They said they were stable at higher clocks, so I closed my eyes and pushed it to 300 MHz with the same result - POST ok, but reboot before memtest could even kick in.

I tried loosening my timings from 3-4-4-8 to 4-4-4-12 and it REALLY didn't like that... no POST, had to hard clear the CMOS and drop it back to 250.

I have a feeling my DRAM settings aren't ideal for OCing this RAM, would like to know what the best settings are for these HZ chips. I can provide more detail on the chips if necessary.

I think the chipset is OK since it's got a nice copper cooler, but it still runs a bit hot even at 250 MHz, so it could be something there, but it *feels* like the RAM.

Detailed CMOS settings are in this spreadsheet:
http://knepfler.com/oc.xls

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks G.Skill guys!

UPDATE: It seems stable at 260 MHz, running tests, and I just noticed the top sticky addressing my exact question (SORRY SORRY!) so I'll be trying that once I confirm 260 is stable. It's still curious though, that I got 275 with the old bios, and with the new bios I'm at 250-260...

http://knepfler.com/images/minsc_pc.gif

LordofDoom
10-06-2006, 10:12 PM
Could you have possibly downloaded a TCCD specific or BH/CH-5/6 Specific BIOS?

minsc_tdp
10-07-2006, 11:56 AM
Could you have possibly downloaded a TCCD specific or BH/CH-5/6 Specific BIOS?

Nah, I got it from dfi.com.tw, standard bios update.

Another oddity - if my FSB is 250 MHz, and RAM is not on a divider (200-1:1 is selected), why does memtest86 show my RAM is 238 MHz (DDR447)? Not quite sure why it wouldn't always match the FSB..?

The tight version of the timings recommended in the G.Skilll sticky didn't work, in general they were less stable than just using Auto. So I'm now trying the loose versions of those numbers (i.e., where he suggests 15~18ns I'm using 18ns.) UPDATE: memtest seems stable, but can't boot windows. Might be the CPU, never really tested 2626 MHz (only up to 2600 MHz) so I'm probably going to have to stick to 245 MHz x 10.5 (2572 MHz.)

I'm bound and determined to keep my CPU above 2.6 GHz and my FSB above 250, new BIOS be damned!

Another funny thing - Battlefield 2 has always been sensitive to memory stability. I had it all stable at 245 MHz, passed one run of memtest86 and OCCT, so I figured it's OK for now. Started BF2, got crashing right away. Started throttling things down, I was all the way down to 210 MHz FSB, 2.4 GHz CPU, and even had lowered my video card to stock. And it was still crashing! Absolutely ridiculous. This is with the memory settings all on Auto. I remembered some funky problems I had with my Corsair RAM, where BF2 really hated when I tried to use 1T or Bank Interleave. I turned these both off, and sure enough I played BF2 for 2 hours. I would bet if I left the off, I could go back up to 250 MHz / 2.6 GHz, 680 GPU again and it would still be stable. I've never understood how I can pass 24 hours of testing and BF2 will still crash. I swear it has a problem with Bank Interleave or 1T. When I find a truly, truly stable 250 MHz configuration, I'll retry this experiment in BF2.

Walternowi
10-07-2006, 01:59 PM
Another oddity - if my FSB is 250 MHz, and RAM is not on a divider (200-1:1 is selected), why does memtest86 show my RAM is 238 MHz (DDR447)? Not quite sure why it wouldn't always match the FSB..?

Are you using a half multiplier like 9.5? If you do, it seems that the memory will automatically run on a divider. Do a search at DFI-street to find out the formula.

minsc_tdp
10-07-2006, 02:33 PM
Are you using a half multiplier like 9.5? If you do, it seems that the memory will automatically run on a divider. Do a search at DFI-street to find out the formula.

You might be on to something there. Yes, it's on a divider at half multis, and the RAM doesn't seem to like it. Amazingly I'm halfway through memtest now at 250x11 which I thought impossible, but it might be because I'm set to 2T and no Bank Interleave, which seems to stabilize the RAM a lot. I don't think the 2750 MHz will hold when I try to go into Windows, but who knows.. my temps are OK and the CPU has been stable for a long time at 2.7 volts.

I've also examined the timings in the sticky, compared to what they get set to using Auto on everything, and the sticky timings seem very aggressive relatively speaking. A64Tweaker is great for showing all the timings, the only decent util I could find to do it.

I guess the trick will be figuring out how to get stable 250MHz memory at 1T/Bank Interleave without reducing my CPU too much. Since CPU clocks do more for 3d performance than anything, I might just stick with 2t/BI off.

Walternowi
10-07-2006, 02:56 PM
I've also examined the timings in the sticky, compared to what they get set to using Auto on everything, and the sticky timings seem very aggressive relatively speaking. A64Tweaker is great for showing all the timings, the only decent util I could find to do it.

I actually used the timings listed in the sticky, and they work well. You know, these UCCC chips like low voltages. I ran memtest @250 with 2.7 volts and I got 1 error after 21 hrs. I tried again @250 with 2.6 volts and the memory modules passed with flying colors. Just something you might want to try.

Okda
10-07-2006, 03:03 PM
for O/Cing i always suggets using the Tony bois version 704-2BTa

my o/c also decreased with teh latest bois so i went back to the above bois

Walternowi
10-07-2006, 03:16 PM
SaFrOuT is right. I am also using the 704-2BTA bios.

minsc_tdp
10-08-2006, 11:34 AM
I'll look into that BIOS, thanks.

I just got it stable at 250 MHz again, I think the half-multis are really bad with this BIOS and RAM combination. BF2 is stable again even with 1T and Bank Interleave. Going to try those sticky settings again. I have to redo a lot of things I tried with half-multis now that it is suspect.

Sorry if this thread got a bit off-topic from G.Skill, feel free to move this to another forum.

GSKILL TECH
10-09-2006, 02:24 PM
i love to see those discusstion... why move it to other place

:)
GST