PDA

View Full Version : TEC Power Supply Question

pulverizer
04-20-2003, 06:39 PM
Hello,
I was thinking about getting a Swiftech MCW 50T, and was wondering if I would be alright using it with a like $20 power supply that is rated for 13A on the 12V line. Since the pelt on it says it draws 7.5A, I figured I should just get a cheap powersupply, just to power it, and nothing else. This would be a lot cheaper than buying a pelt PS for over $100, and since this will be the only pelt in my system, I figure it would probably be fine to just get this cheap powersupply. Let me know what you guys think...

KnightElite
04-21-2003, 05:05 AM
That will work, as long as you put some sort of load on the 5V line. If you don't load down the 5V (just a resistor will work), then the power supply may explode. Use a 1 Ohm, 50W resistor.

pulverizer
04-21-2003, 08:19 AM
Thanks KE :D
I don't want any explosions to happen. Good thing I asked before I set it up...
I guess I would also need to short the wires to get it to turn on.
I will be putting it on a relay, so I think it should all work out well.

BMORIN
04-21-2003, 11:49 AM
would you guys mind explaining just exactly how to do all of that. I'm interested in doing the same thing. prommy on my cpu and a watercooled tec on my gpu

KnightElite
04-21-2003, 01:24 PM
Basically, get a 1 Ohm, 50W Resistor, and tie it from a 5V (red wire) on the power supply to a ground (black wire). Then connect your TEC from 12V (yellow) to ground (black). In order to start the power supply without a motherboard, you then need to briefly connect the 4th pin (usually a green wire) on the main ATX connector to ground in order to start the supply.