PDA

View Full Version : NVIDIA Not a Good Fit for Intel Say Analysts

StyM
10-06-2006, 11:51 AM
source here (http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4457)

“We don't think there's a solid rationale for a deal and we don't think it's going to happen."

Kanavit
10-06-2006, 12:50 PM
i agree with the analyst. intel and nvidia are too big , if they join together, it would be a monopoly. so i am against such an unholy alliance. Nvidia is a good innovative gfx company which should be allowed to survive on its own. if intel bought nvidia, gfx developement will be destroyed , and we will be stuck with intergrated gfx chips.

NickS
10-06-2006, 12:52 PM
I agree too. Intel has tehir own graphics dev team anyway.

nn_step
10-06-2006, 01:58 PM
Conflict of personalities if you ask me.
Plus I am still betting on AMD and nVidia staying close. Since they have had a long history together and lots of time to enjoy into the future.

ozzimark
10-06-2006, 02:02 PM
Plus I am still betting on AMD and nVidia staying close. Since they have had a long history together and lots of time to enjoy into the future.
well said :toast:

NickS
10-06-2006, 02:08 PM
Conflict of personalities if you ask me.

Yeah, I doubt AMD will kill the relationship. nForce is almost the only reason AMD took off so well back in the early K7 days, and a main reason why AMD is so successful with the enthusiasts today.

rozzyroz
10-06-2006, 05:49 PM
if nvidia is to survive as a company, they will have to get close to intel. amd has used nvidia as a stepping stone, and now they really have no need for them. i mean come on, do you really think amd will want to give up money just to be nice to nvidia? amd is a company with one purpose... to make money. nvidia is no longer a partner, they are a competitor.

nvidia needs to look out for themselves now. i dont think intel will buy nvidia, but i do think if nvidia wants to survive in the market they will have to improve their relationship with intel. maybe some partnership on an nvidia chipset for the enthusiasts, and nvidia relaxing the drivers for intel chipsets.

i do think nvidia and intel are talking, but i dont think its about a buyout.

everything that you guys are saying about how bad it will be if intel bought nvidia holds true on the amd/ati deal as well. the same problems come up with integration and gfx development.

i mean look at it this way... how many amd guys, that were pro nvidia, will be considering an ati chipset/gfx card for their next upgrade? how many intel guys will want to go ati?

with amd buying ati, it sort of unbalanced everything in the high end graphics market.

nn_step
10-06-2006, 05:54 PM
if nvidia is to survive as a company, they will have to get close to intel. amd has used nvidia as a stepping stone, and now they really have no need for them. i mean come on, do you really think amd will want to give up money just to be nice to nvidia? amd is a company with one purpose... to make money. nvidia is no longer a partner, they are a competitor.

nvidia needs to look out for themselves now. i dont think intel will buy nvidia, but i do think if nvidia wants to survive in the market they will have to improve their relationship with intel. maybe some partnership on an nvidia chipset for the enthusiasts, and nvidia relaxing the drivers for intel chipsets.

i do think nvidia and intel are talking, but i dont think its about a buyout.

everything that you guys are saying about how bad it will be if intel bought nvidia holds true on the amd/ati deal as well. the same problems come up with integration and gfx development.

i mean look at it this way... how many amd guys, that were pro nvidia, will be considering an ati chipset/gfx card for their next upgrade? how many intel guys will want to go ati?

with amd buying ati, it sort of unbalanced everything in the high end graphics market.
What are you talking about :stick:
AMD still NEEDS nVidia, inorder to push forward the HTX spec.
If nVidia doesn't embrace HTX then there will be a rift in standards.
If Intel Can't get nVidia to make PCIe 2.0 cards, the stand dies. End of discussion. AMD will desperately need nVidia for the next 7-15 years. After which is anyone's guess

rozzyroz
10-07-2006, 03:49 AM
after amd closes the deal with ati, they dont need anyone. why would they need nvidia to push any standard? amd will pretty much be a self contained entity after the purchase. they now will have their own chipsets, integrated solutions, highend graphics and a slew of other handheld items.

platform specific standards hurt the industry. i see pcie being accepted by everyone reguardless of htx. it's fast and backwards compatable.

if nvidia is on some crusade with amd to oust intel, i see them defecting real fast. unless amd shuts down ati's highend graphics department.

:horse:

onewingedangel
10-07-2006, 06:07 AM
What are you talking about :stick:
AMD still NEEDS nVidia, inorder to push forward the HTX spec.
If nVidia doesn't embrace HTX then there will be a rift in standards.
If Intel Can't get nVidia to make PCIe 2.0 cards, the stand dies. End of discussion. AMD will desperately need nVidia for the next 7-15 years. After which is anyone's guess

PCI-E 2.0 is the next video card standard. End of discussion. Even Ati's recent roadmap showed that the rd790 supported pci-e 2.0 - so ati will likely support it. The standards backward compatability with pci-e also means there are already motherboards that will accept pc-e 2.0 card albeit at a reduced speed, and current pci-e cards will work in pci-e 2.0 slots, so theres a much more flexible upgrade route.

HTX is not there to replace pci-e, as a matter of fact, there doesn't seem to be a htx add in card standard - co processors will use socket F for their Hypertransport connection, but add in cards will remain on the pci-e bus.