PDA

View Full Version : Where are we going?

Movieman
10-06-2006, 02:52 AM
We talked about a goal of catching EasyNews in WCG but I think we need a plan to do this. Big task my friends, VERY big!
Take a look at the numbers, I have.
Prior to DDT coming on board, we were at close to 900K a day.
Yesterday we did 1,154,016 and that was with 351,975 generated by Victor.
That means that the rest of us did 802,041.
That may have just been a fluke day because of the way the stats generate at WCG but it's worth looking at.
We should be close to if not over 1 million a day by now excluding what DDT brings.
What I don't want to see happen is people thinking : DDT will do it.
That's not fair to him nor is it being fair to ourselves.
IF and that is still a very big IF, we are going to overtake EasyNews we have to get together on this and figure out the how's and when's.
Up until now we've sort of gone in all directions and yes, we have grown into the #2 producing team daily and thats in essentially a little over one month.
That ain't chickenfeed guys! VERY impressive.
We've been damned lucky to have the guys with control of business farms jump in with us and then add the guys that warm their houses in the winter strictly with the heat from PC's! I'm thinking Mike047 on that one and pal, I so DO have to meet you sometime!:D
I look at this team and what we have for resources and the greatest resource we have is the brains and talents of the people that are on this team. I've talked with a lot of you and that point alone is what really stands out. Intelligence,devotion,commitment and last but not least, the thing we have in common, a desire to help mankind by helping these scientists with their research.
If you took and formed a company with the talents of the individuals here it would be an impressive one. The difference between us and a company is that we are all volunteers and need no "boss" to motivate us as we bring that ourselves but we do need a list of goals and a timetable to get them done.
This can't be a one or three man job. We need everyone to jump in on this.
I don't want anyone to feel that they have an idea but it's not worthy of discussion.
I'm going to start this off with what I think we can do to help get to our goals.
1) Start at the bottom. Do you have anything that you can add personally?
2)Friends and relatives: These are people who trust you(hopefully)
Ask them, implore them, anything short of physical beatings.
OK, Physical beatings are hereby allowed but short of brain damage or long term permanent damage.No, 3 months in a cast is not long term!:D
If they cry and tell you their machine overheats with apps like these, hit the local PC store and grab some 80mm fans and screws and leave a bag in your car. I do. I am not BS'ing you, I have a bag of $3.59 80mm fans in the back seat of the car just for this purpose and it has gotten me 2 PC's so far for WCG.
3)Co-Workers:Talk to them, but don't bore them to death with it.
A simple" Hey, I got into this project that does Aids and cancer research and it's a ball" will do to get a response. I made up some cdr's with Boinc and a simple text showing what to do and how to attach to the project with all the links and if I get someones attention I will hand them a CD.
There are many people that won't take the time to go and look BUT if you do that work for them either in talk or by having a CD ready you can make the sale. I used that word "sale" intentionally. Don't ever think that this is anything but selling. First yourself to them so that they believe in what your saying and then in the project itself. What makes it easy is that it is a good project. I've been selling for years and the one criteria I always had was that the product or service had to be a good one. I will not sell crap no matter how much money is in it. Same with my PC's, good parts or I will wait until I can afford the good ones.
4) Members on the forum: Who do you know? Talk to them. Tell them it is important and that it is important to you personally.
I ran DIMES for a while. WHY? Was it important to me? No.
Moddolicous asked me and Joe is a good kid so I said yes. I ran SOB for a short time between Rosetta and WCG. I wasn't into it at all. Interesting project but the reason I did it was that Riptide asked me to and he's a good guy so I said yes.
Personalities do play a part in what we do and thats why I listed these examples.
There are many members of this forum that will come and help if asked. Maybe they will only come a short time but many will stay.
Look at RyderOCZ on Rosetta. I PM'd him and asked during the Stampede in April.He came and got into that as much as anyone I know.
5) Another email: I think it's time. NJKID: Time for an allnighter pal!:D
6) Ideas outside the box: I was talking with meshmesh the past 24 hours and he has some good ideas. Very driven and smart guy worth listening to.

That's enough for one night. Do me a favor and read this maybe again in a day and think what you can do to help us get to our goals.
I'm 54 years old, maybe another 25-30 years left above ground if I'm lucky.
I have 2 daughters that are the light in my life. I'd like to know that after I'm gone that maybe I have done something so that neither one ever has to hear a death sentence of "You've got cancer and it's untreatable"
I watched my grandmother when I was 13 in 1965 die of cancer and it was nasty. A tough old Irish lady named Cecilia Corbett with a heart of gold that treated her grandchildren with a love that I can't describe.
She was 67 when she died.
It's 41 years later and I still have those images in my mind of her suffering.
You want motivations, those are mine.

[XC] leviathan18
10-06-2006, 04:15 AM
oh so true so true, we are getting started here i dont know you guys i joined beta and my production droped a lot so i wont do more beta job im waitig for some ram an old man sent me to get another cruncher in the team and of course waiting for my machine

brot
10-06-2006, 06:56 AM
I am going to write an aricle about cruncing, and maybe i can try to translate it into english. It should be easily understandable to even the ones who arent really into computers, because it is for our pupil magazine ( sorry to annoy you once again with it ^^ ).
If it makes sense i will try to translate it.

[XC] hipno650
10-06-2006, 02:49 PM
soon i will be making my presentation to my dads work and i think they will accept. mabye so of the employees will run it on their home computers. also as some of you know my dad and i run a small computer company. and i will be telling everyone of our clients about wcg. i also had the idea of everyone on the team buying something for chrunching this x-mas wheather a whole chruncher or just a proc. what do you guys think?

NickS
10-06-2006, 02:57 PM
Good writeup Movieman. You're totally right, more people should be doing this. For the forum, for the science, for the team, and for the leaders. At the moment I've got all the rigs I can running it (besides my 333Mhz laptop.) All my rigs were on overnight last night too, so I'm puttin out pretty well.

IMHO everyone should do this. It doesn't hurt your PC, and you barely notice it (besides the higher temps.)

There is almost no excuse not to.

nn_step
10-06-2006, 03:05 PM
I'm crunching as fast as I can :cord:
but I only have so many rigs and I am barely able to scratch enough CPU time away for XSOS development

[XC] MarioMaster
10-06-2006, 03:42 PM
now look what you've done, you've made my poor lappy run boinc again :p:
and these temps are AFTER the dual fan laptop cooler....
http://www.imagecross.com/images/3739laptop.JPG

NickS
10-06-2006, 03:47 PM
Thats not too bad for a Clawhammer :) Whats up with the slow HT speed btw?

nn_step
10-06-2006, 03:57 PM
Thats not too bad for a Clawhammer :) Whats up with the slow HT speed btw?
probably just dropped the HTT multi by 1
most s754 had a HTT speed of 800mhz if I remember correctly

[XC] MarioMaster
10-06-2006, 04:31 PM
all speeds are stock, can't do anything from the bios, lead head suggested i try clockgen but haven't gotten to that

Movieman
10-06-2006, 05:04 PM
To Brot: You write it, we'll get it translated..a Promise..We're back to the resources we have here. Someone can translate.
To nn_step: Bring what you can pal. I know you have other commitments.
Maybe give us 2 days on a machine? Time sharing?;)
To Mariomaster:Maybe leave the machine sitting on the floor at night.
A wood floor is a good 10F cooler than at waist level.
to hipno650: I want a Kentsfield in my house working 24/7 by Christmas. Haven't figured out how yet but thats the plan. To anyone interested in duals, here's some info for you:
You CAN pen mod a dual 771 woodcrest. It has been done and is proven.
My buddy xeontux over at 2cpu.com has worked out the how and one of the guys just posted today that it works. Used a pair of the cheaper 1860/1066 buss procs, did the mod and now has a 2330/1333 system.
Forgot to add: It now does SP1M in 22 secs! Yes, 22 secs from a dual xeon! My DX3600 with Irwindales and all the good parts does 32 seconds! LOLOLOL So that woodcrest even at 2330 does have some stones!
Yes, that is god's truth! They are now working out how to get the buss to 1600.
I was thinking about this today: A 771 xeon at 2330/1333 is as good as or better than a stock 6600 conroe with the 1066 buss. Yup, you can OC the conroe a lot easier than the dual 771 but for app $920.00
you can have a dual 2330/1333 on a excellent board with 2 gig of FBDimms..
One system with 4 cores at conroe speeds for under a grand for cpu,mb and ram..
Should make one hell of a cruncher.
OK, more ideas guys??
Lets set a small goal: 100 machines added in 2 weeks. What do you think?
Up for the challenge?:D

nn_step
10-06-2006, 05:12 PM
I'm running one rig 24/7
(that old 286 with an assembly based os, nice numbers huh :D )
and I'm donating everylast second of my main rig that I can.
Although because of the hardware testing and the work, Any second I'm not doing something it'll be crunching (which right now is the amount of time I sleep and am forced to be in class/ job hunting)

[XC] leviathan18
10-06-2006, 05:31 PM
100 machines in 2 weeks... thats about 1 per person i think its doable

Movieman
10-06-2006, 05:37 PM
100 machines in 2 weeks... thats about 1 per person i think its doable
VERY! I think I'll set up a thread for this:
100 new machines for WCG in 14 days and everyone can post what they found/stole/borrowed..oops, no borging without permission.
Stealing the machine outright is permissible but no illegal borging!:p: (<-J/K)