PDA

View Full Version : selecting parts for WC rig, opinions please.

Emmett
10-05-2006, 01:36 PM
Hey all, I knew this would be THE place for opinions on parts for my WC rig.

CPU:MP-05 or TDX or storm when they show up in stock again.
GPUS:Dangerden Tyee Crossfire blocks,I need the low profile for use of slots
Rad:Thermochill PA 120.3 <-----Already purchased.
Res:T-line
Pump:Laing D5
All 1/2' tubing throughout.

Also I need a case and i was thinking the stacker stc-t01 because i would like
the option of adding a second rad if i wanted to do seperate loops..

Any thoughts? am i on the right track?

Thanks..

Emmett

thunderstruck!
10-05-2006, 01:52 PM
Ditch the D5, for the MCP355 and purchase alphacool top or petra's top (they perform about the :p: same and is 2x better than the D5). Also, Storm is the best block, I'd stay away from the TDX. Also, consider masterkleer 7/16", cannot stress this enough.

oshox
10-05-2006, 02:57 PM
I agree with the 7/16" MasterKleer. It's more flexible, gives you tighter seals, and equal flow rate to 1/2".
Also, they Tyee full-coverage blocks are expensive and not really necessary. Swiftech claims the MCW-60 will work in a crossfire setup; I'm sure you could find someone who has experience with twin X1900's and those blocks. You can order them with the Swiftech Ramsinks included for about $60 each. It'll give you equal overclocking potential with less restrictiveness and much lower cost.

As for the pump, the DDC+ (Swiftech MCP-355) and the Alphacool replacement top will be the highest performing option. Swiftech's Storm block is starting to be available again, and the modified DDC+ and a Storm would be the top-performing combination. Switching from the expensive Tyee blocks to the MCW-60 or even the low-profile Maze4's will release more than enough money into your budget to afford the upgrade.
Now, the D5 is not a bad pump, by any means. Petra's test show it performing only about 15% better in real-world situations. If you're going to be using highly restrictive components, like the Storm, MP-05 SP, or Tyee water blocks, you'll need that extra 15%. Otherwise, the D5 is a very decent and reliable pump.

And lastly, the TDX. It's a bit of a dated design, and the Apogee is a similarly priced block that is less restrictive and will just as well, if not better. A less restrictive CPU block will allow your GPU blocks to perform better, too. Now the Storm will cool circles around either of them, but it's about twice to three times more restrictive. A good middle ground would be the MP-05 Pro LE. It has the same base plate as the SP version(as long as you get the LE version), but it's middle plate is a much more free-flowing design. Also, it has a cheaper Delrin top, so it's about $10 less than the SP. It should perform very close to the SP, which is very close to the Storm.

Really, it's going to come down to your budget. The DDC+ w/ Alphacool's top and a Storm will be the best, a D5 and an MP-05 Pro is a close runner-up. MCW-60's with Ramsinks are the best GPU option, either way. If you can't find any confirmation that they'll work in a crossfire setup, than the DD Maze4 Low-Profile is a safe option. Copper ramsinks can be bought separately in that situation.

andersson.j
10-05-2006, 04:11 PM
I'd say this is the perfect loop for you:
CPU: MP-05, Storm or alphacools nexxxos xp.

They're probably the three best blocks around. Check radical_53s test (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=117461) for more info.
GPUS: 2 × EK-FCX1900 for Crossfire mode (http://ekwaterblocks.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=21_31_42&products_id=112&language=en).

I'd pick EKs blocks over DDs any day of the week! (Shipping isn't as expensive as you might think!)
Res: Big black T-barb from mcmaster and delrin fillport from petra or delrin or brass fillport fron DD.

Make sure you get a big enough T-barb to avoid wasting flow and a non alu fillport for peace of mind.
Pump: DDC-2 (aka DDC-Ultra/MCP355) with alphacools top or wait for petras top.

Check Petras test (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=117215) to see how the tops rank against each other + the D5 and 50Z.
Other 7/16" tubing, EKs 1/2 barbs and Pentosin or Zerex if you want color and protection.

eXa
10-05-2006, 05:28 PM
:with:

hoax
10-05-2006, 10:04 PM
Res: Big black T-barb from mcmaster and delrin fillport from petra or delrin or brass fillport fron DD.

I tried looking at their catalog but there are so many options.. or oportunities to mess up as I learned to call them.. I cant tell which of them would be a good t-barb for 7/16" tubing.. Do you by any chance have a part number for this T-barb? any advice is really appreciated

thanks
hoax

andersson.j
10-06-2006, 02:54 AM
Since there seem to be a problem with their site at the moment I can't tell you more than that the part number for the 5/8 OD T-line is 5463K613. I don't know the ID of that barb but you should look for one with 7/16" (11,1mm) ID or more.

septim
10-06-2006, 04:17 AM
Hey all, I knew this would be THE place for opinions on parts for my WC rig.

CPU:MP-05 or TDX or storm when they show up in stock again.
GPUS:Dangerden Tyee Crossfire blocks,I need the low profile for use of slots
Rad:Thermochill PA 120.3 <-----Already purchased.
Res:T-line
Pump:Laing D5
All 1/2' tubing throughout.

Also I need a case and i was thinking the stacker stc-t01 because i would like
the option of adding a second rad if i wanted to do seperate loops..

Any thoughts? am i on the right track?

Thanks..

Emmett

CPU: MP05 or Swiftech Storm Rev2
GPU: i'd say EK's full cover Delrin block for your model gpu card
RAD: Thermochil PA120.3 good that you have this...
(option of going metal Cooltechnica G3/8 HighFlow barbs if you like)
Fans: Yateloon D12SM or D12SL fans with Fan controller
Pump: DDC+ with Alphacool Plexitop or Petra's soon to be released delrin top
Tubing: Masterkleer 7/16id tubing fits perfectly with 1/2 barbs

el rolio
10-06-2006, 04:58 AM
2 × EK-FCX1900 for Crossfire mode (http://ekwaterblocks.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=21_31_42&products_id=112&language=en).

I'd pick EKs blocks over DDs any day of the week! (Shipping isn't as expensive as you might think!)

Other 7/16" tubing, EKs 1/2 barbs and Pentosin or Zerex if you want color and protection.[/list]

not to mention it probably ends up costing less when its all said and done than buying the tyee + shipping. thats been my experience so far!

Emmett
10-06-2006, 03:29 PM
Excellent, thanks for all the reccomendations.

You guys talked me into using the 7/16 tubing, And I am looking for a storm
rev2 block now.

The mcw-60 looks really good, and i like how it mounts, but I think it is TOO
thick at 1.25 inches, I dont think I will be able to use the pci slot next to the
card itself, also even the maze 4 low profile is just under an inch but that may be too thick also.

I sent an email to EK blocks, and they got right back to me about the ati crossfire blocks, they said they were not sure about being able to use the
pci slot right next to the video card, I think the total thickness is 16-17MM
They also said they will have a new block? for the master card with option
to cool master chip on master card.. about two weeks ETA.

Otherwise I may go with the tyee blocks from DD as they state you can use
the slots directly to both sides on the card..

And I am getting the MPW355 with alphacool top, or wait for petra's..

In any case, I plan to order the storm now, If i can find it in stock. and maybe
wait a few weeks for the rest, see how it pans out for these new parts coming out.

thanks all

Emmett

hoax
10-06-2006, 07:57 PM
Since there seem to be a problem with their site at the moment I can't tell you more than that the part number for the 5/8 OD T-line is 5463K613. I don't know the ID of that barb but you should look for one with 7/16" (11,1mm) ID or more.

Thanks a lot andersson.j. The part number really helped (finally I have the right category...I was completely lost in that catalog..) And excuse my stupidity but..

I want to use Tygon R-3603 7/16" ID (5/8" OD) with the rig. What would be a better choice of t-barb in your opinion? 5463K613 or 5463K615?

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e299/cagiali/tline.jpg

thanks a lot

el rolio
10-06-2006, 08:43 PM
613 would probably do the trick. i duno how easy it would be with plastic babrbs fo that tee to get it over the 615. regardless you are gonna get teh improvement you are probably looking for by simply going bigger than the 611 which is what most e-tailers would be selling you anyway.

hoax
10-06-2006, 08:53 PM
613 would probably do the trick. i duno how easy it would be with plastic babrbs fo that tee to get it over the 615. regardless you are gonna get teh improvement you are probably looking for by simply going bigger than the 611 which is what most e-tailers would be selling you anyway.

thanks a lot for clearing it up! :thumbsup:

cheers
hoax

Emmett
10-07-2006, 05:38 AM
How about this pump? is this the 18w one? and it has the alphacool top already installed..

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=201&products_id=4508

SiGfever
10-07-2006, 06:40 AM
How about this pump? is this the 18w one? and it has the alphacool top already installed..

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=201&products_id=4508
No, it is the 10W version.

Here is the 18W...

http://www.dangerdenstore.com/product.php?productid=135&cat=23&page=1

hoax
10-09-2006, 05:45 AM

I placed an order on their site for the 613 after reading this post. But I guess its one of those days...first I found out that I probably wont be able to buy the T0j7 because the only official brazilian retailer lied about the ETA. And I been already waiting a month for no reason. :mad:

Then this....I placed the order friday. Filled all information (including credit card)...Then today I get this on my email: http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e299/cagiali/mcm2.jpg

Not a huge deal of course..but still sad.. why let customers get their hopes up instead of keeping the store policies up-to-date on the webpage?

:(

el rolio
10-09-2006, 07:27 AM
aww, im sorry to hear man. hopefully an alternative may be at a local hardware store etc?

hoax
10-09-2006, 07:37 AM
aww, im sorry to hear man. hopefully an alternative may be at a local hardware store etc?

Hi el rolio,

thanks a lot for the reply. I dont think I could find a good replacement locally. But since they come in packs of 10, maybe somebody around here has a couple to spare and would be willing to sell them to me.. or if anyone knows of another place where I could order them, it would be great too..

cheers
hoax

septim
10-09-2006, 09:10 AM
do you have a local version of home depot, maybe they can supply you some...

anyway if you cant get that item you want just try and use the standard 1/2 tee that comes if your ordering one of Petra's kit.

1am here time for some shut eyes...

hoax
10-09-2006, 01:17 PM
do you have a local version of home depot, maybe they can supply you some...

anyway if you cant get that item you want just try and use the standard 1/2 tee that comes if your ordering one of Petra's kit.

1am here time for some shut eyes...

hehe you have no idea how much I wish for a local version of something that could even remotely compare to home depot. unfortunetly not yet available..

but you are right...I guess I will use the standard one from Petra's.. but not only its smaller (probably makes little to no difference)...but...its not black.. :(

ok..back to reality... must accept I can't have everything shipped overseas.. :brick:

andersson.j
10-09-2006, 01:30 PM
I'm sure petra could order one for you and send it to you if you asked nicely?

hoax
10-09-2006, 01:53 PM
I dont know, I just think its rude to ask them to replace their standard just because some crazy brazilian decided he likes a black t-barb better then a white one...that and the fact they only sell it in packs of 10...

Quoc is too nice to me as it is hehe :toast:

el rolio
10-09-2006, 02:09 PM
i love quoc. he writes nice notes to me :D (when i buy stuff of course... im old fashioned ya know!?)

Emmett
10-16-2006, 06:46 AM
Hey guys, thanks again for the help, and here is a list of what I ended up going with.

Radiator:Pa 102.3
Cpu block:Storm Rev 2.
Gpu block:DD Tyee Crossfire. I needed the use of all my slots (hope it works)
Pump :ddc 12v 18W version
Pump Top:Petra's replacement top
Tubing :Masterkleer 7/16 from Mcmastercarr
Res :T-line into black tee from MMC (613 Part) a few post back in this
Thread.
Fans :yate loons D12SM-12 4 of them from Petra's
Case :CM Stacker Blue original stacker version.

What do you all think I should put in my loop? i was gonna go with 95% distilled and 5% zerex. But I have been reading the zerex may soften plastic?

What should I use?

Also, I tested with one of the black tee's from MMC and just trying to put the 7/16 tubing over the 5/8 barb was a no go, I could barely get it started. Then I used hot tap water (just testing) and I could get it all the way ON the barb, but not over. So then I went boiling water And I could get it all the way on. One thing I noticed from trying to get the tubing on, was that it
seemed to get little cracks? or maybe more like stretch marks? is this ok?
Does putting the tubing in boiling water compromise the integrity of the tubing?

Thanks all.

Emmett

el rolio
10-16-2006, 09:44 AM
i woudl go with the lean zerex mixture. lots of water, teeny bit of zerex. it'll be fine.

Marci
10-17-2006, 01:32 AM
More than likely stress lines in the tubing... wait til it cools down and check if you can feel any of the cracks with yer thumbnail. If you can, then chop it off and do it again but don't use water thats as hot...

With that particular loop, you should be absolutely fine to use pure distilled with no additive.

Bad213Boy
10-17-2006, 04:38 AM
Hey guys, thanks again for the help, and here is a list of what I ended up going with.

Radiator:Pa 102.3
Cpu block:Storm Rev 2.
Gpu block:DD Tyee Crossfire. I needed the use of all my slots (hope it works)
Pump :ddc 12v 18W version
Pump Top:Petra's replacement top
Tubing :Masterkleer 7/16 from Mcmastercarr
Res :T-line into black tee from MMC (613 Part) a few post back in this
Thread.
Fans :yate loons D12SM-12 4 of them from Petra's
Case :CM Stacker Blue original stacker version.

What do you all think I should put in my loop? i was gonna go with 95% distilled and 5% zerex. But I have been reading the zerex may soften plastic?

What should I use?

Also, I tested with one of the black tee's from MMC and just trying to put the 7/16 tubing over the 5/8 barb was a no go, I could barely get it started. Then I used hot tap water (just testing) and I could get it all the way ON the barb, but not over. So then I went boiling water And I could get it all the way on. One thing I noticed from trying to get the tubing on, was that it
seemed to get little cracks? or maybe more like stretch marks? is this ok?
Does putting the tubing in boiling water compromise the integrity of the tubing?

Thanks all.

Emmett

try a really hot blow drier next time. :toast:

Emmett
11-01-2006, 06:30 PM
Hey Everyone,

I am getting ready to put this thing together and have another question..

I am not sure how i want to run the fans through the radiator, I was thinking of having them pull air through the front drawing cool air from the room over
the radiator, over the motherboard, and out the back, is this going to work?
or is the air going to be that hot off the radiator?

I could also get a crossflow fan for the stacker, which would bring a little
cool air from the side and over the motherboard.

What do you all suggest?

Emmett

[XC] DragonOrta
11-01-2006, 06:52 PM
Lots of people mount rads in the front of Stackers. Just be sure to have the fans in push, if at all possible, as that will give best performance.

septim
11-01-2006, 07:57 PM
if its up front i think it would be more quiet if it was on pull.

btw where is the crossflow fan mounted...

Emmett
11-01-2006, 08:26 PM
Yes, my plan was to mount radiator in front..
here are a few pics showing how the crossflow fan mounts, one pic fan not installed yet, shows empty slot where it goes, just at the edge of the motherboard, second show it fan installed but backside of MB tray.
I think the DBA on the fan is 36-39DB..the side panel behind crossflow fan has a grill for the crossflow fan to get air from outside the case.

Emmett

septim
11-02-2006, 02:28 AM
hmm i'd put a filter there instead of just grill or filter and grill, for dust issues...
push or pull, you decide for your self...

look it up some more, try Creidiki's Project Sloth, or use the search function and find the Stacker Thread something...