PDA

View Full Version : Might be getting alot more rigs online soon!

[XC] hipno650
10-04-2006, 06:14 PM
I have been talking to my dad and he has agreed to let me do a presentation to his company on what folding is and if they like it i may get to install it on some of their rigs!!!! if anyone has any advice that would be great! wish me luck!!!!!

:toast:

[XC] serlv
10-04-2006, 06:39 PM
I have been talking to my dad and he has agreed to let me do a presentation to his company on what folding is and if they like it i may get to install it on some of their rigs!!!! if anyone has any advice that would be great! wish me luck!!!!!

:toast:

Best Wishs for this!

rob725
10-04-2006, 06:45 PM
Since your Dad works there, make sure they understand potential electricity costs.

[XC] hipno650
10-04-2006, 07:22 PM
oh he knows!!!!! he pays the bills and most of the rigs are on all thie time so cost will be more but not as much as if they were off.

DAK1640
10-05-2006, 01:41 AM
Great job hipno650, hope all goes well. It's things like this that make us XtremeSystems and help us to advance more quickly...:toast:

v0dka
10-05-2006, 02:53 AM
Good luck, make it a nice presentation.

Movieman
10-05-2006, 03:24 AM
Good Luck! There is a decent article at the WCG page on electrical costs and PC's. My gut tells me it's BS but it might be worth copying and bringing with you as it downplays elec cost( way too much I think) but any ammunition is worthwhile.
Suggestion: IF they let you set this up on their machines, set it at 75% cpu usage. the last thing you want is people getting nervous at hearing PC's hum and feeling heat issues..3/4 of a loaf is better than none especially when it's a big loaf if you get my drift!;)
remember, these guys aren't likely to have machines set up like we do to handle a app 24/7. If they seem to hedge, mention that the app can be set to work when the companies work day is over..BUT use that as a last resort..Always read the eyes and body language of someone your trying to sell..
Trust me on this, 35 years selling.

brot
10-05-2006, 06:34 AM
Hey, good luck :)

I am pretty sure if they listen to it they will do it ;)

Martijn
10-05-2006, 06:51 AM
Make sure you tell them everything that might happen... You don't want people complaining ;). May I ask how many rigs you are talking about?

meshmesh
10-05-2006, 11:18 AM
And maybe tell them that it will be part of this team, under the company name, with a web link to the company website in the stats. You can put a logo on their site "sponcering cancer research via WCG" sort of thing, good publicity, etc...

And may I suggest that you consider to set these machines to run from 5 PM to 7 AM (at least inicially). That way there will be no effect on air conditioning load or CPU fan noise etc, since it is off hours. No one would say anything about HD activity, 100% CPU fan, "it is a bit hot in here", etc... May be just the ticket.

best of luck.

Movieman
10-05-2006, 11:29 AM
And maybe tell them that it will be part of this team, under the company name, with a web link to the company website in the stats. You can put a logo on their site "sponcering cancer research via WCG" sort of thing, good publicity, etc...

And may I suggest that you consider to set these machines to run from 5 PM to 7 AM (at least inicially). That way there will be no effect on air conditioning load or CPU fan noise etc, since it is off hours. No one would say anything about HD activity, 100% CPU fan, "it is a bit hot in here", etc... May be just the ticket.

best of luck.
Excellent advice! All is fair when your trying to sell and a tug at the heartstrings to get them to do a good service is fair play.

meshmesh is right on the hours..No one can complain about a loud fan at 3am if they aren't there.:D

[XC] riptide
10-05-2006, 11:31 AM
:para: :hm: :para: I could have sworn i made a post in this thread already ...

Anyway what i though i had said... Martijn made a post somewhere about the killawatt and how much power usage increases... so maybe take a few guidelines form that.

STEvil
10-05-2006, 11:56 AM
write off the electricity costs as donation to a non profit organization.

Martijn
10-05-2006, 12:18 PM
:para: :hm: :para: I could have sworn i made a post in this thread already ...

Anyway what i though i had said... Martijn made a post somewhere about the killawatt and how much power usage increases... so maybe take a few guidelines form that.
Depending on what rigs you're going to run, expect between 40-100 watts of extra power/rig (I'm now talking about the average office pc, P4 NW/Prescott). Make sure they know ;)

Kobalt
10-05-2006, 12:50 PM
How do you set it to only use 75% cpu and to run at certain times?

meshmesh
10-05-2006, 02:41 PM
How do you set it to only use 75% cpu and to run at certain times?
Assuming you are running BOINC client, you can specify your settings in:
My Grid->Device manager-> Device Profiles
Edit the profile you are using for the host you want to set the limits to.

There is a setting: "Do work only between the hours of:"
this will limit the hours of crunching.

As for the 75%, I think that under BOINC 5.4.X it is not yet possible. but it is comming in the new 5.6.x release. See this (http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread?thread=8841) thread for more info.

[XC] hipno650
10-05-2006, 03:09 PM
most of the rigs will be internal servers. and i think alost if not all of the rigs will run overnight only. and the techs are very smart and know more than me about computers in almost evey area. thanks for the help guys!!!

priens
10-07-2006, 08:50 AM
Maybe this is useful? http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/bg/partner.pdf

Further you might want to use some information from the past newsletters: http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/newsletter/viewNewsletterMain.do

Good luck!:cool:

Priens (DPC)

[XC] hipno650
10-07-2006, 09:06 AM
thanks man this may prove usefull.