PDA

View Full Version : Want to add battery backup to my office

Foxie3a
10-04-2006, 03:55 PM
Why do I want battery backup now? Because the power just went out for 10 secconds, and I lost data. I don't need to be up for 5 minutes at a time, I just can't stand it when the power goes out for 15 seconds, and I loose everything.

The problem that I have is that I already have a nice line conditioner, and I do not want to get rid of it. The surge protection in it would beat out anything on a battery backup unit or power strip.

I hear that it is not a good idea to have two surge protectors on one line, it could cause damage somehow.

Would there be a device that is just a battery backup, with only one outlet? Maybe I could go from the wall to the battery, then from the battery to my line conditioner. All of my devices would kill the battery in a few minutes, but I am just going for the few second power outtages.

Suggestions please?

Thanks. :)

Silver Bullet
10-05-2006, 08:05 AM
I would go for a mid priced APC unit ... Check here: http://www.apc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=21

I have a UPS by APC and saved me countless times :)

EsaT
10-05-2006, 11:50 AM
I agree that APC Back-UPS ES would be good choise because you don't need special cables.
Now would you tell what components your PC has so we can tell what power rating UPS would be enough.

Also you should be able to put UPS after conditioner for retaining its high surge supression capability.

PS. Try doing anything when there's tens of half second to few seconds long blackouts.