PDA

View Full Version : Water cooling NooB, thinking of making the switch

Mr.Kakarot
10-03-2006, 06:33 AM
Hi, I just want to get peoples thoughts on this:
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=17736&vpn=FREEZONE&manufacture=CoolIT%20Systems

I am on air, running a 3.6 stable (pc in signature). So is there any real reason to go to water? Will I get more out of my processor, and at a lower voltage?
Any "guesses" on how much more? $400 seems like a huge investmest for a couple 100 mhz...

As for lifespan/heat issues... I am not to concerned about that, I tend to upgrade often. I just want theories based off performance, and what this kit will do for my set up.

freecableguy
10-03-2006, 06:53 AM
you'll probably get less than 5% performance increase. the real push for watercooling, in my mind at least, is using extremely quiet fans (yate loons) with a well-designed radiator (thermochill) and efficient waterblock (storm). lose the noise!

Mr.Kakarot
10-03-2006, 06:56 AM
Yea, so it comes down to noise and some cooling....

well that is not worth $400 bucks to me! thx

Holst
10-03-2006, 08:35 AM
Hi, I just want to get peoples thoughts on this:
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=17736&vpn=FREEZONE&manufacture=CoolIT%20Systems

I am on air, running a 3.6 stable (pc in signature). So is there any real reason to go to water? Will I get more out of my processor, and at a lower voltage?
Any "guesses" on how much more? $400 seems like a huge investmest for a couple 100 mhz...

As for lifespan/heat issues... I am not to concerned about that, I tend to upgrade often. I just want theories based off performance, and what this kit will do for my set up.

That freezone kit is very expensive and not worth buying IMO.
Much better to buy a swiftech kit, or choose your own bits and build your own. You can make a decent enough system for $200, or something very good for not allot more.

At the same voltage your probably not going to see a massive OC gain, but you will get much better temps.
Advantage of watercooling is that you can use a bit more voltage than on air and still stay stable.. this may give you a bigger OC gain, but it depends on the CPU you have.
With GPU's getting hotter you can probably get a significant OC increase on your GPU using watercooling.... even more so with DX10 cards if you buy one.

Anothr point is that watercooling will last forever...
You can buy this stuff now and still be using it in 5 years time.
Considering that nothing else (bar case) is going to last that long its a good investment in your hobby.

I dont know enough about conroe overclocking to guess what you will gain on water. From my A64 clocking I was running 2.6gig on air and 3ish on water with a decent step up in voltage. Temps were slightly lower at load on water.