PDA

View Full Version : 7.1 Gigaworks review by Nooh Saleh

nooh
10-02-2006, 06:07 PM
http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/4370/img0146iu5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/2505/img0158ru1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

still under construction will let you know as soon as I finish

here is a little taster

Nanometer
10-02-2006, 07:17 PM
Omgzzz it's been an hour will you hurry up, I want some results!

nooh
10-03-2006, 03:43 AM
http://overclock247.com/index.php?board=22.0

sorry man , I am very new at this and the pics are really big , its only half done but here it is for you

rapty
10-03-2006, 04:42 AM
I got a refurbished set for £130.00, New 7.1 Channel's and the Sub is New haven't connected them up yet

Box Weighs a bit I must agree

nooh
10-03-2006, 07:59 AM
Its a great set you will love them

rapty
10-03-2006, 09:18 AM
Can't wait to set them up, hope I rent somewhere detached and remote hehe

HiJon89
10-03-2006, 10:45 AM
lol your son is crying because you can't feed him after buying the X-Fi Elite Pro + 7.1 Gigaworks :p:

nooh
10-03-2006, 11:12 AM
lol your son is crying because you can't feed him after buying the X-Fi Elite Pro + 7.1 Gigaworks :p:lol , serves the little critter right:D

nooh
10-03-2006, 11:49 AM
Thanks eXtremeSystems for this , the pics are huge , your the best

exhausted mule
10-03-2006, 11:23 PM
great packaging and all....

but how does it sound?

;)

Nanometer
10-04-2006, 08:56 AM
Don't they have an all together sound rating of 700 watts, including like a 190 watt sub? It must sound good. :D But since most things are encoded in 5.1 SS I might have second thoughts on 7.1. Though it does sound awesome, and some games have 7.1 support! :D

nooh
10-04-2006, 05:10 PM
The whole room shakes , thats no lie

ex2cib
10-04-2006, 06:05 PM
have you compared them to any other speakers? such as the logitech z-5500 digitals? i know those are only 5.1, but they are still very good speakers. i have z680's myself

nooh
10-05-2006, 05:15 AM
I have witht he ones i had before but its not a fair comparison , they cost only £35

EsaT
10-05-2006, 11:00 AM
Don't they have an all together sound rating of 700 watts, including like a 190 watt sub? It must sound good. :D But since most things are encoded in 5.1 SS I might have second thoughts on 7.1. Though it does sound awesome, and some games have 7.1 support! :D70W per satellite, 210W for sub.
It actually has 5.1>7.1 upmix but I haven't tested it, have had sound cards with 7.1 output...
And apparently these speakers are more demanding input signal wise so crappy sound card sounds crappy. (and crappy/low bitrate MP3 sounds still more crappy)

If you play back a DVD-movie with a lot of effects, like the one I chose (Star Wars - The Phantom Menace), you get to feel it too... Remember not to have any porcelain laying around or any other sensitive stuff close by, because I can guarantee that it will shake your entire living room...
The sixth of July, 1944, Ohama Beach, also known as the D-Day. The boats slowly approach the beach and I always by instinct look behind me because of the sound of the water and distant grenade explosions circulates my position in the room's center. A complete silence when the main character jumps down under the water, followed by chaos when the bullets begin to fly around the running soldiers. Firm ground under the feet and they rush away to stay alive, at the same time as the sound from the subwoofer makes it move around the floor when the grenades hit the ground. I switch to the built-in speaker in the TV for a moment and can't understand that it is the same movie...

To conclude the systems performance I can honestly say that the satellite speakers that comes with Gigaworks S750 plays better than all older versions of Megaworks and even better than Logitech 560 and Z-680. By better I just don't mean the sound quality but also louder with lower distortion... Creative also manages to separate the treble from the middle register so you keep the dynamic sound even when you push the speakers. Satellite speakers with 2-way configuration has an good advantage compared to those with only one...
My opinion of the subwoofer is that I was very satisfied with the one that came with Megaworks 550THX, so I was a little skeptic to it being too powerful and uncontrolled before I made the test. Despite the increase in performance by raising the volume 30% they have managed to control it reasonably and the fine tunings are easily done by yourself with your sound card. Without any tunings it can have a tendency to take over a little to much, though not nearly as much as the subwoofer in Z-680 does. If you want you could make the drying dishes in the kitchen fall down even though you're in the room next to it. Trust me, I know.
http://www.nordichardware.com/Reviews/?page=6&skrivelse=355
Yep, satellites are 2-way speakers instead of one way design common for multimedia speakers. (and aren't made from thin plastics)

A vehicle with lots of room and a friend to help you carry is recommended as two important things to bring to the post office's outlet. This is because the package weighs over 35 kilograms and the box itself is ungainly and lacks holes to carry it with
I'll second that.

I should confess that listening to the GigaWorks S750 was really an enjoyable experience. First of all, I’d like to mention the excellent power reserve of the system. It seemed to be just unable to release all its potential in the room of our test laboratory. When reproducing SPL Competition audio track, the sound pressure level was 110.1dB and the maximum, peak level was 114.2dB. By the way, no living being suffered from my tests – I performed them on a weekend, when no one else was in our lab.

Mostly due to the employed type of the acoustic enclosure, the system gave out a good bass with a solid foundation and clear structure. The drums sounded crisp and stiff. The system as if breathed trying to represent the bass instruments truly...
The linearity of the system was up to the mark, too. To examine this parameter, I used three identical test fragments, recorded with peak sound pressure levels of 81, 93 and 105dB. The volume level was set up depending on the data of the audio-analyzer. I should note that a majority of multimedia systems I have ever tested expose a linearity distortion, especially when reproducing the 105dB-SPL fragment.
The excellent satellites contributed much to the crystal-pure voice of the system; they fully embrace the range of middle and high frequencies, while positioning of the sound source is recognizable along the entire stereo panorama.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/multimedia/display/creative-gigaworks-s750_5.html

And remember that concrete isn't enough for stopping low frequencies... even at levels when you don't think them as such loud yet.

ferrari_freak
10-06-2006, 03:16 AM
Any comparison with the Logitech Z-5500's? From what I have heard they sound better but real testing will tell. And ditto the box, I could barely lift the box for my Z-5500s, just imagine the size with 2 MORE speakers :banana: .

Usama aka Ferrari Freak

ex2cib
10-06-2006, 08:27 AM
i kinda wish i had the z-5500's, but the z-680s arn't too bad either :)

ANP !!!
10-07-2006, 04:01 AM
I feel in Love with the Z5500 with the first sight. I previously had S750 in my mind, but the logi have a decode, so i got it.

I m still waiting for my XFI to get installed. But this thing rocks my house even on onboard sound.

But i kno the S750 are better in Music n Movies. But for the Price, i got the Z5500.

nooh
10-07-2006, 11:43 AM
I am happy with them and all they have to offer me in games and in movies , the whole floor vibrates with the bass.

Xenogias
10-07-2006, 09:27 PM
make sure you break them in some before really cranking them. Like leave them on for 24hrs if you can (at lower volume I guess). My friend cranked his set way up out of the box and they broke. Be careful!

bri1
10-14-2006, 07:35 PM
interesting those are some nice looking speakers im excited to see what you think of them

lordkelmain
10-15-2006, 12:15 PM
Those things can be pretty scary. I was installing Doom 3 at a friend's house once. Popped in the CD, and you know how the game loves to make the intro autorun noise. BOOM.

I always make sure speakers are never on full before putting anything into my drive tray now.

- lk

dukenukem
10-29-2006, 06:55 PM
man i am gonna buy these,they look so awesome.

3NZ0
11-14-2006, 03:06 AM
Had my gigaworks s750's since they came out and i love them, they have great sound for games music and movies and work wonders with the xfi.
Ive also used them for other things like a P.A system and a sound system at a houseparty.

LockBreaker
10-06-2008, 10:53 PM
What set would you rather choose of the Logitech Z-5500 or the Creative Gigaworks S750? :)

Which one is better? :)

Xel'Naga
10-07-2008, 12:10 AM
What set would you rather choose of the Logitech Z-5500 or the Creative Gigaworks S750? :)
Which one is better? :)
I have listened to both, especially to the Z5500, since my room-mate has them.
The Z5500 are a joke. Bose-style untreated paper woofers with single driver satellites that render everything from 200-20000Hz. The bass and treble are a lot louder than the mids, so horrible frequency response and the sound is very unclear. The speakers are exceptionally loud but the sound is horrible. Even their Z10 have better sound, at over 1000Hz and low volumes (otherwise they suck even worse).
I have listened to the Creatives a few times and they sound better. Especially their frequency response is smoother due to the 2-way satellites. They use the standard design: aluminium inverted dome tweeter and treated paper woofers for mids and bass. The bass is still louder than it should, but idiots like overpowered bass (and shiny objects). Look how many friends you have got that have really crappy tweeters and midranges in their car along with 2-3 massive subwoofers that blow the windows off.
However I still don't understand why all of you want bad 5.1 or 7.1 sound over good 2.0. Pc speakers, except maybe for Klipsch, are a complete joke. If you want good sound, try the Audioengine 2, Infinity Primus 150, Paradigm Atom v.3 or even Cerwin Wega VE-12, if you are into house or hip-hop.

LockBreaker
10-07-2008, 11:35 AM
I'm going to use the set for music and games in that order. :)

The best would naturally be a HiFi set, but I don't think I can afford it. After all a HiFi set is much more expensive, but it has better sound quality. If I could get a good 2.1 HiFi with a powerful bass (not paper woofer as you mentioned) it would have been great. :)