PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding Belkin 750 VA / 400 Watts battery backup.

TJX
10-02-2006, 04:24 PM
Basically it's a battery backup w/ surger protection and Automatic Voltage Regulation. It's 750 VA and 400 watts. Now does it matter that my PC's PSU is 650 watts? Does the 400 watts just mean it won't stay on for so long when the power goes out?

My processor is 6300 Core 2 Duo, video card 7950 GX2, and I got 2 GB RAM. So far everything's running fine, have'nt come across any power related problems when playing one processor/vid card heavy game after another for a several hours. It's just that I recently noticed the 400 watts thing on the box and was worried this might affect me.

nn_step
10-02-2006, 04:52 PM
Basically means you have enough time to save and shutdown. Not get to the next level in Fear

TJX
10-02-2006, 05:35 PM
Basically means you have enough time to save and shutdown. Not get to the next level in Fear

Oh alright as long as it's possible to have my system on long enough for a proper shut down, so it's not like my 650w PSU is'nt recieving less power than it should in normal conditions just because of the 400 watt thing right?

EsaT
10-03-2006, 03:16 AM
Oh alright as long as it's possible to have my system on long enough for a proper shut down, so it's not like my 650w PSU is'nt recieving less power than it should in normal conditions just because of the 400 watt thing right?It's that your PC propably doesn't consume that much as PSU coudl give, absolute max peak of that GPU is about 140W, CPUs TDP is around 60W and rest consume quite little unless you have lot of drives and such.
19" CRT could take one 100W, TFTs draw considerably smaller amount.

Then again if you're from US you might have PSU without PFC meaning it draws also reactive power (in 90 degree phase shift compared to voltage) but still apparent power should stay well below 750VA.

And you can trust that you would notice overloading UPS, it would shut down immediately when going to battery operation.

TJX
10-03-2006, 01:20 PM
So nothing to worry about then? This UPS is good enough for my machine? If it needs to, will my PC still be able to consume a full 650watts in normal conditions when the power is'nt out? Also, the 7950GX2 box says minimum requirements 500w, so what exactly does it mean that this GPU's max peak is 140w? Too many questions about this sorry, but this device is pretty new to me. Thx for the replies so far btw.

EsaT
10-04-2006, 12:38 AM
So nothing to worry about then? This UPS is good enough for my machine? If it needs to, will my PC still be able to consume a full 650watts in normal conditions when the power is'nt out?UPS itself can provide only that 400W (maybe 10-20% higher for short time) but in line operation it gives as much as its circuit breaker allows, there should be number for how many amperes it lets through on back of UPS.

But you forgot that at 650W load PSU would draw at least 750W.
And did you think monitor doesn't need power?
But getting close to 400W should be hard unless you have lot of drives and very big monitor/more than one of them.
I have lot of HDs and other devices and in normal Windows use consumption stays under 260W which includes 19" CRT consuming good 100W itself and rest includes also losses in PSU.

Also, the 7950GX2 box says minimum requirements 500w, so what exactly does it mean that this GPU's max peak is 140w? Too many questions about this sorry, but this device is pretty new to me. Thx for the replies so far btw.That ~140W is nVidia's own specification.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/power-noise_3.html

Those PSU recommendations are for Z-class junk like Qtec with everything peak value of peak value.
Consider it as similar like those 100% THD, 1ms, "hundreds watts" PMPO (or pomppu=jump, like we say in Finnish) power ratings of many cheap multimedia speakers. (with 5W transformer)

TJX
10-04-2006, 12:26 PM
So with only one 17" LCD monitor, 1 HD, and 1 DVD Drive this particular UPS should provide me with more than I need?

Thanks again for all the info.

EsaT
10-05-2006, 11:54 AM
For that PC and 17" TFT it should be definitely enough.
Also backup time at full load is around 4-5 minutes for all UPSes I've checked. (despite some manufacturers grossly overstate those)

Serra
10-05-2006, 12:20 PM
If you're concerned about the effectiveness of your battery backup once power is removed, why don't you simply unplug the UPS from the wall and clock how long it takes your system to lose power? That may not be the ideal way to shut down your computer, but given that you know it will happen you can control whether any damage is incurred.

Knowing how long you have to shut down is a very nice thing, just be sure to check while both idle and with some load.

TJX
10-05-2006, 12:40 PM
If you're concerned about the effectiveness of your battery backup once power is removed, why don't you simply unplug the UPS from the wall and clock how long it takes your system to lose power? That may not be the ideal way to shut down your computer, but given that you know it will happen you can control whether any damage is incurred.

Knowing how long you have to shut down is a very nice thing, just be sure to check while both idle and with some load.

Oh no, I'm not worried about that, I'm sure anyone can properly exit a program for a proper windows shutdown within 4 minutes. I was just worried about the effectiveness of my overall power supply in normal conditions when there is power. Anyways, thanks for clearing all those queries guys.