PDA

View Full Version : Xbox -> Linux

sweet^
04-19-2003, 01:53 PM
Anybody who has installed DEBiAN on you xbox?
How it's going? Feelin' kinda of tempted to do that :) But I'm not that brave 'couse my warrenty is going out then..

Smizack
04-19-2003, 03:17 PM
I've got a copy of Gentoo to put on it, but I don't want to use a mod chip yet.
That, and I want to install another hard drive for it.

JBELL
04-19-2003, 10:33 PM
I got the latest issue of 2600 with full instructions and web site links to fully mod your xbox into a linux rig.

Smizack
04-20-2003, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by JBELL
I got the latest issue of 2600 with full instructions and web site links to fully mod your xbox into a linux rig.

Link?:D

antipop
04-20-2003, 10:18 AM
I don't know if it's legal but if Smizack is asking for a link then i won't argue!
I just read that you can install linux on your xbox without having to mod it. Does someone has a link to a web site explaining it ?

Smizack
04-20-2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by antipop
I don't know if it's legal but if Smizack is asking for a link then i won't argue!
I just read that you can install linux on your xbox without having to mod it. Does someone has a link to a web site explaining it ?

That's the one I'm talking about. IIRC, they said that it's legal if you aren't putting in a mod chip. Which I don't have.

antipop
04-21-2003, 12:03 AM
So let's mod that Box!!! Send the link :)

CCW
04-21-2003, 01:17 AM
i had a look at the X-Box hardware and its acompute rin a box, reckon ti could be overclocked? :D

CCW
04-21-2003, 01:19 AM
http://www.ps2modchip.com/flash/xbox_17.jpg

i reckon you could solder on extra memory, theres space to do it if that is the memory

antipop
04-21-2003, 03:13 AM
you can always add a 32Mo ram but there would be no use because no game ever use it, i think you can oc it but again that would improve nothing. The useful mod would be to plug a bigger hdd

CCW
04-21-2003, 04:49 AM
yeah, and that isnt gonan be too hard is it? it uses standard IDE connection, wonder if there is a limit to the size of the hdd you can put in?

JBELL
04-21-2003, 07:24 AM
another usefull mod would be to tunnel the heatsink.. add plastic shroud to force air over it more... better cooling .

Smiz - www.2600.com

antipop
04-21-2003, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by CCW
yeah, and that isnt gonan be too hard is it? it uses standard IDE connection, wonder if there is a limit to the size of the hdd you can put in? It's harder than that cause you'll have to copy the first drive to the new one and you'll have to copy it all from the start! It's not that hard but you'll need some tools

Smizack
04-21-2003, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by CCW
yeah, and that isnt gonan be too hard is it? it uses standard IDE connection, wonder if there is a limit to the size of the hdd you can put in?

No, I've heard of people with 2 40 gig hdds in one.

Joe. Thx my man!:toast:

CCW
04-21-2003, 10:14 AM
It's harder than that cause you'll have to copy the first drive to the new one and you'll have to copy it all from the start! It's not that hard but you'll need some tools

yeah but the technology is so close to what we use i suppose ghost would do, it may use different file system, im not sure, i might buy an X-Box for modding purposes, can be pciked up really cheap second hand ;)

antipop
04-21-2003, 12:19 PM
It's not as easy as doing a ghost, i'll get more info

Smizack
04-21-2003, 03:14 PM
antipop is right, there's more to it than that. Ghost won't work.

CCW
04-21-2003, 09:48 PM
what OS does the X-Box have? is it Win CE like the dreamcast?

antipop
04-22-2003, 12:19 AM
I don't think it's win CE, it's more a proprietary OS, you'll have to make an exact copy of every bit in the original Os otherwise it won't work

CCW
04-22-2003, 03:40 AM
ah, developed by MS, i will have to do some research on this :D

JBELL
04-22-2003, 05:50 AM
XBOX runs a stripped 2K pro kernal.

shray
04-22-2003, 05:05 PM
install folding on it!

antipop
04-22-2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by shray
install folding on it! ROFL, i'd love to see if someone tried it

CCW
04-22-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by shray
install folding on it!

heh, then OC it to get it to fold faster! 733MHz wont do!

Smizack
04-23-2003, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by CCW
heh, then OC it to get it to fold faster! 733MHz wont do!

That's what I was thinking.
And I don't see any reason that F@H wouldn't work.

CCW
04-23-2003, 08:52 AM
well, im gonna look for an X-Box and when i have some cash lying over will take the plunge and see what can be done with em, wil ljust get a second hand one, im on the loo kout now :D

antipop
04-24-2003, 12:22 AM
I won one a month ago and i just sold it but don't worry i still have another one laying around :D

CCW
04-24-2003, 01:16 AM
lol, reckon you can dissect it for us? :D

antipop
04-24-2003, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by CCW
lol, reckon you can dissect it for us? :D Sorry but that's a no, it's still under warranty and i don't want to break it, i've seen pics of the inside and there nothing interesting to watch ;)

CCW
04-24-2003, 02:16 AM
yeah, i mean its not interesting but perhaps when its out of warranty you could experiment with the hard drives, try overclocking it, etc ;) its just a computer in a black box after all :)

CCW
04-24-2003, 06:56 AM
Found this:

"Posted by: SoulJacker

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There doesn't appear to be any way to easily overclock the Xbox. Those few souls bound and determined to do so can find one certain route by removing the clock crystal and supplying an external clock signal. Be aware that every aspect of the machine will be sped up as well, meaning that game play will also be faster -- perhaps too fast if the adjustments are not made carefully. Also, since the entire system would be overclocked, headroom is not likely to be great.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is from the XBox Dissection. What exactly is overclocking? And are there console enhancments like this one on XBox for: Dreamcast, Playstation 2, Gamecube, Sega Genesis, Super NES, etc.? Also, what does it mean when it says headroom is not likely to be great?

Posted by: Kdr Kane

Overclocking is the process of changing the operating frequency of the electronics to a higher speed than originally designed. This is usually done by modifying the CPU input clock frequency. Other bus speeds can sometimes be modified independently of the CPU.

It's not usually a good idea to change the clock frequency of proprietary electronics like console games. The software and hardware are usually not resilient enough to withstand such changes.

The Xbox resembles a PC in many ways. Many motherboard manufacturers gain publicity and quite a following of enthusiasts by designing their boards to be easily overclocked. These enthusiasts will also want to consider the idea of overclocking the Xbox. "The headroom is not likely to be great" gives the opinion that overclocking the Xbox will not likely be possible with significant results.

Overclocking usually requires excellent hardware. I compare overclocking to car enthusiasts that performance modify their cars. The expense of overclocking does not save you any money in the end.

Posted by: Null Actor

No, you can't do stuff like this to consoles. They aren't meant for it, and there is no benefit of it. Consoles are not like PCs where you take benchmarks and upgrade, consoles have constant performance. A game will be the same speed on every console, so there is no point in trying to 'enhance' it."

http://www.opentechsupport.net/forums/archive/topic/3919.html

i kinda agree with it, there would be technically no point in OCin an X-Box, their reasoning is very good

antipop
04-24-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by CCW
Consoles are not like PCs where you take benchmarks and upgrade, consoles have constant performance. A game will be the same speed on every console, so there is no point in trying to 'enhance' it." Looks like something i said before :stick:

JBELL
04-24-2003, 10:50 AM
overclocking an xbox is not in my book to do [H] water cooled theirs - not sure why..... those pentium 733MHz - you know, they get sooo hot anyways.

CCW
04-24-2003, 10:56 AM
yeah, i know its just something to play around with...also...etchings re on the board already so you can solder on extra memory, ive been doing a lil bit more research

antipop
04-24-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by CCW
yeah, i know its just something to play around with...also...etchings re on the board already so you can solder on extra memory, ive been doing a lil bit more research That's like oc'ing it's pointless, i mean no game will use the extra ram, they won't access it

CCW
04-24-2003, 11:10 PM
yeah....actually...after looking inot it more the only useful mod is the hard-drive one :(

antipop
04-25-2003, 03:12 AM
And it's not that useful because the current hdd has plenty of space for regular use

XtremeKILLER
04-25-2003, 08:26 AM
ALL THIS COMPUTER TALK MAKES ME SICK

JBELL
04-25-2003, 08:40 AM
pretty cheap if you want to break one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3020306743&category=20387

Smizack
04-25-2003, 09:08 AM
And it's not that useful because the current hdd has plenty of space for regular use

Regular use sucks... :D

CCW
04-25-2003, 04:07 PM
I mean, if it was possible to get folding on it it would be cheaper than buying a P3 733 system for folding so the extra memory would be useful, as as Smizack says regular use sucks! :D

Smizack
04-25-2003, 04:33 PM
Fa sho!:D
As soon as it's all figured out, I'll get a couple of them folding.

Strat
05-08-2003, 10:53 PM
hey guys. Signed up just too post this message :)

Long time reader though.

Very suprised that there arn't many modded xbox users/hackers on this website. Would have though there would be a lot considering how similar it is to pc modding.

Just a few random comments about the ability of the xbox.

No it can't be overclocked (not yet anyway). But keep in mind even if you did it would more than likely cause many errors with proper xbox software. Only advantage would be linux.

U can add bigger harddrive. 137gb is the limit. You can only have 1 harddrive plugged in at any one time. Some people use caddies/switch to switch between two.

Harddrive works on ata33 cable. Motherboard limitation

U can install another 64mb of ram. But the app has to support 128mb. This is hardcodded into the app. There is a 128mb version of mamex for xbox and linux would also take advantage. But the retail games wouldn't. The developer xbox's have 128mb as standard.

a USB keyboard/mouse can be easily plugged into the xbox for homebrew apps.

The modchip is pretty much a standard computer bios chip with a hacked bios on it. Very straight forward to install.

Xbox media player kicks ass. Divx, mp3, dvd, vcd, etc etc.

If anyone has any questions about modded xbox feel free to post. Will answer any questions i can. There is much more that i could have covered but too lazy atm :)

wdd1040
05-08-2003, 11:18 PM
So, if I understand this correctly.

Take a WD 120gig HDD and install linux on it from a desktop.

Walk over to your Xbox and unhook the HDD and connect the 120 to it.

Turn on Xbox after plugging in USB keyboard and mouse.

You have a Linux box?

What am I missing? In this instance does one have to have the mod chip or did they find a for sure way to do it without it?

antipop
05-09-2003, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by wdd1040
So, if I understand this correctly.

Take a WD 120gig HDD and install linux on it from a desktop.

Walk over to your Xbox and unhook the HDD and connect the 120 to it.

Turn on Xbox after plugging in USB keyboard and mouse.

You have a Linux box?

What am I missing? In this instance does one have to have the mod chip or did they find a for sure way to do it without it? That's not how you do it, it's not that easy, you need a mod chip to make it run

CCW
05-09-2003, 06:15 AM
if it was that easy, everyone would do it and MS would lose money

antipop
05-09-2003, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by CCW
if it was that easy, everyone would do it and MS would lose money Why would they lose money? The people that buys hacked software already has the xbox modded, hopefully there is still people that buys the original game

CCW
05-09-2003, 10:21 AM
well, thjey were gonan release a new X-Box with bigger hdd at one time butr havent yet as far as i know so if people could add their own hdd's ms woujldnt make money

not sure if they are stil lgonna, just heard rumours

WELCOME TO THE XTREME Strat!

antipop
05-09-2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by CCW
well, thjey were gonan release a new X-Box with bigger hdd at one time butr havent yet as far as i know so if people could add their own hdd's ms woujldnt make money
That's wrong because a lot of people are afraid to lose the warranty on the xbox and most of the user of the xbox don't even know how to install linux or a hdd
BTW they'll release a new xbox which will be smaller

Strat
05-09-2003, 02:24 PM
It isn't exactly that easy.

First up. To run any unsigned code. (That is an application/game that wasn't officially approved by Microsoft) you need a modchip. The modchip gets through this check.

Once you have a modchip installed you can replace the harddrive.

Xbox uses a filesystem known as FatX. It isn't compatable with fat32/ntfs etc so you can't just copy stuff onto the drive from your pc and install it into your xbox. It has to be formatted as FatX.

Easiest way to do it is to install it into a modded xbox and then run something like "slayers auto install" disc which will format the harddrive and then install the evolution-x Dashboard and a few other programs.

Then to install linux you put the linux cd in the drive and follow the instructions.

As far as modchips go a basic modchip that will let you do pretty much everything you could want will only really set you back ~$15US. Installation isn't all that hard. Probably easier than your standard voltmod ;)

Once you have a modchip though it really does open 100's of possibilities. A lot of people think an xbox modchip is just like a playstation one where you can only play copied games. That is so far from the truth. Some top xbox apps can be used after getting a mod. Such as:

Evolution-X A full Dashboard replacment. Can be setup so when you turn the xbox on with no disc in the drive, instead of going to the standard microsoft dash it goes into this. This is a menu so you can select games or applications to play (ones that you have stored on the harddrive), can also flash your bios from within evolution-x. It also works as an FTP client. So if you xbox is plugged into your home network you can use something like FlashFXP on your pc to access the xbox harddrive and transfer stuff back and forth. There are other dashboards in the work with full irc support etc.

Xbox Media Player A full multimedia player. Supports almost all formats such as Divx, Xvid, mpg, VCD, SVCD, mp3, jpg, 5.1 sound the list goes on. Easily the best media player. Gets updated daily. Also has features to connect to IMDB and your local tv guide etc. A must have for a modded xbox.

EMULATORS The xbox has emulators for almost all the old systems out there. MAME, snes, nes, genesis, master system, c64, atari, lynx, gamegear, gameboy/advanced, turbo graphix etc etc. PSX and N64 emulators are in the works. In fact the xbox hacking community has pitched in over $2000US dollars so far as incentive to the first person that ports a working n64 emulator over to xbox.

There are many more programs. Thats the great thing about a modded xbox. Every day a new app or game is released. Keeps things interesting.

Regarding the homemade apps/games. These are created using the Official Xbox development kit. Because this isn't exactly something microsoft hands out to everyone. Any app created using this is deemed 'illegal'. This kind of works to the average joes advantage though as all releases are kept on 1 ftp which makes life easy as you know where to go. irc.prison.net/#xbins leads you to the ftp.

Master Chief
05-26-2003, 08:23 AM
yeah, 4ghz X-BOX would SURE be nice!
MC

Amoeba Assassin
06-08-2003, 02:53 PM
where can i find a good cheap modchip?

Strat
06-08-2003, 03:12 PM
Not sure where you would get one.

In Australia the cheapmods sell for about $25 AUS dollars (Around $15 US)

Could probably try the www.xbox-scene.com forums for a retailer near you. Just keep in mind for a cheapmod you would be looking at ~ $15 - $18 US dollars.

Amoeba Assassin
06-15-2003, 06:50 AM
thanks