PDA

View Full Version : helping out a friend to stay away from TT

hoax
10-01-2006, 02:03 PM
Hello,

As some of you may know I am still working on picking my own parts, and I have little to no knowledge in liquid cooling so any advice will be very appreciated.

I am trying to help a brazilian friend with his first WC but he doesnt speak english and he asked me to post here to ask you guys for help on choosing the right parts for his budget (cant be more then 200 US). He was thinking about getting the TT Big Water 745. (really sorry for even mentioning TT here)

He thinks that TT with the triple rad would perform better then the following kit: (which I believe is within his price range)

(1) AquaXtreme MP-05 PRO Limited Edition Universal CPU Water Block - 1/2"
(1) Laing D5/Swiftech MCP655 Inline 12vDC Pump
(1) Swiftech MCR-220 "Quiet Power" Series Radiator - Black
(2) Yate Loon D12SM-12 120mm x 25mm Fans (70.5CFM, 33dBA)
(10') 7/16" ID (5/8" OD) Masterkleer Tubing
(1) 1/2" OD Polypropylene T-Fitting
(12) Stainless Steel Worm-Drive Hose Clamps
(1) Machined Delrin Fillport/T-Line Cap
(1 bottle) Pentosin g11

You guys have any suggestions to the list that could make it even cheaper but still a good performer?

He runs a Pentim 4 3.4 ghz 650 with no OC but maybe we can come up with a custom kit that would even give some room for overclocking and would still be in his price range?

any advice is really appreciated

thanks
hoax

SiGfever
10-01-2006, 02:12 PM
That setup looks good and the only thing he might want to consider is a 120.3 rad for future growth.

Alchemy1
10-01-2006, 02:29 PM
Looks good for the budget you are on. A thermochill rad would be better, but you'd blow half of your budget on the rad alone. If the budget is tight stick with what you have listed.

creidiki
10-01-2006, 02:37 PM
he's obviously wrong and should read up on watercooling before sinking money into TT crap.

Grinch
10-01-2006, 04:07 PM
he's obviously wrong and should read up on watercooling before sinking money into TT crap.

AMEN!

situman
10-01-2006, 04:10 PM
Tell him TT watercooling gear is the George Bush of watercooling gears.

_G_
10-01-2006, 04:24 PM
plz dont mix politics and liquid cooling :nono: lol

Sparky
10-01-2006, 05:08 PM
plz dont mix politics and liquid cooling :nono: lol
Agreed, some people like bush so that statement would make no sense to them.

hoax, tell your friend that TT is crap and yes that setup you have is definitely better. Like others have said, a thermochill PA series rad would be better but if that goes outside your budget then keep the swiftech.

creidiki
10-01-2006, 05:17 PM
Ya. Or get an MCR320-QP, seeing as the price difference between the double and triple isnt very much.

That will most definitely spank the TT out to jupiter and around it a few times and then back with a short scenic side-trip of the moon.

hoax
10-01-2006, 10:24 PM
That will most definitely spank the TT out to jupiter and around it a few times and then back with a short scenic side-trip of the moon.

LOL

Well guys I tried telling him that it was a (really) bad decision but I guess its a lot easier for him to believe when it comes from users with the knowledge you guys have, then when it comes from someone like me who is still ordering the first WC kit and has never even touched one before.

But today he just saw some pictures around here and he didnt even need to try to translate the posts...I think the understands now that any advice given here should be taken very very seriously :fact:

And the good news is..after I translated the replies to him, he was so convinced of how great thermochill rads are that he is not only planning on getting the above kit, he also said he wants to wait a while to save more cash for the thermochill.. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Really sorry for even asking such a question, but after this he would have to be nuts to still consider TT as an option.. :slap:

and at least I am not the only one telling him he could spend his money in many better ways. so now its up to him to decide..

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions and for always being so patient

cheers
hoax

sladesurfer
10-01-2006, 11:07 PM
Here a list for your friend:)

Swiftech MCP350 pump $59 http://www.voyeurmods.com/index.php?action=item&id=471&prevaction=category&previd=specials&prevstart=

Primochill Radiator pro series 320 $36.95 http://www.voyeurmods.com/index.php?action=item&id=2707&prevaction=category&previd=2&prevstart=0

swiftech apogee $42 http://www.voyeurmods.com/index.php?action=item&id=2207&prevaction=category&previd=2&prevstart=0

reservoir $18.95 http://www.voyeurmods.com/index.php?action=item&id=1557&prevaction=category&previd=2&prevstart=0

Total of $156

septim
10-02-2006, 12:50 AM
hey Hoax have you bought your parts yet?

why not you two buy it together, and maybe save some on shipping...
just a thought...

creidiki
10-02-2006, 04:07 AM
Halleujah! Another soul saved! \o/ (spot the reference! =p)

hoax
10-02-2006, 01:57 PM

AMEN! lol

hey Hoax have you bought your parts yet?

why not you two buy it together, and maybe save some on shipping...
just a thought...

hi Septim,

he is luckier then me.. his sister works for a brazilian airline company and she is willing to bring his stuff for him.. so he doesnt have to worry about shipping like me.

I havent placed my order yet. Most of it is gonna happen this week... I am still hunting for the storm obviously without any luck.. but I am trying to wait for petras top to be in stock anyway so I am just looking around hoping it will arrive...somewhere.. :(

thanks a lot guys

cheers
hoax

stormshadow
10-02-2006, 02:19 PM
i love that this is a Thermaltake 'intervention'.

good man.

tommrussell
10-02-2006, 04:21 PM

the reverened creidiki speaketh the truth

septim
10-02-2006, 08:48 PM
hoax, Petra is considering pre order on his top, maybe you could also put a pre order on a certain swifty storm block from them also, as it takes a while to get a few storms in stock anyway...

hoax
10-02-2006, 08:59 PM
i love that this is a Thermaltake 'intervention'.

lol ...that would have been a much better title for this topic too

@ Septim: thanks a lot for the tip. I am gonna email Quoc and ask him if its possible. That would definnetly be the perfect solution for me..

cheers
hoax

septim
10-03-2006, 01:27 AM
lolz, i was also goin to suggest asking his sister if she could carry some parts for you also...

anyway good luck with your parts. keep us updated...

hoax
10-03-2006, 05:07 PM
lolz, i was also goin to suggest asking his sister if she could carry some parts for you also...

anyway good luck with your parts. keep us updated...

sadly that wont be an option. one of the airline pilots will bring the stuff to him, and they normally carry those really small bags, so I think he is gonna have trouble with just his stuff.. but thats ok tho.. I am ready to start placing orders for my kit.

I am still waiting for petras top to become available and almost all my stuff will come from them, but I can finally place the order for the thermochill :woot:

Just two questions...

Do you guys think I should use different barbs?

And does it already come with the performance shroud? or do I need to buy it sepparetly?

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e299/cagiali/cart.jpg

hoax

Alchemy1
10-03-2006, 05:22 PM
Those are the wrong barbs for the thermochill rads and yes you do have to purchase the shroud separately. The correct barbs would be...http://www.cooltechnica.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=AQX-HIFLO-G38-12&Category_Code=Barb_Fitting or any other G3/8 BSPP threaded barb.

*edit*
I don't think you want to use them, but my thermochill from DD came with three plastic barbs. They fit, but most people like metal over plastic.

septim
10-03-2006, 06:39 PM
agree with Alchemy1, the only metal barbs for a PA radiator are supposed to be G3/8 threaded... go Cooltechnica or Ek Barbs G3/8 High Flow...

someone also suggested some brass fitting found on Mcmaster site...

Bail_w
10-03-2006, 06:53 PM
how about 7/16 Ek barbs?

hoax
10-03-2006, 07:21 PM
you guys have no idea how thankfull I am that you keep saving me from wasting money.. Dunno were I saw that those barbs should work.. :hitself:

I only wish I could find a store that had the PA120.3 + shroud + fittings + international shipping.. but I will keep searching...

thanks a lot for the help!!
hoax

[XC] leviathan18
10-03-2006, 07:32 PM
yes petras should start selling the PA rads.....

hoax
10-03-2006, 07:38 PM
yes petras should start selling the PA rads.....

that would be almost too perfect... I keep dreaming that one day I am gonna open petras website and he is gonna have on the news:

Just arrived!!

PA. 120.3, Storm's and Petra's DDC top! (add to cart)

:p:

septim
10-03-2006, 11:13 PM
yah we all wish that.... one stop shop for all watercooling pc needs....