PDA

View Full Version : Need some quick help with Motherboard swap and win XP

Firechicken
09-29-2006, 07:15 AM
Hey guys, need some quick help. I have to swap out motherboards today so STEvil dosn't come down here to calgary and take me behind the wood shed and :slapass: :slapass: me:D for not sending him my motherboard in time:D

Out of the kindness of his heart he traded me motherboards straight across for his DFI LanParty UT NF3 250Gb so I will now have the old new machine I've always wanted:D :D Not to mention he managed to squeeze it into the standard mail box, Lots of practice thses guys have at shipping gear around the world, nice Job STEvil:toast: Couple that with the s754 3700+ Mike047 sent me wow you guys are too much thanks a million!!

Anyways....... I had a question: will I be able to boot right back into windows after I do this and at the most have to re-activate by phone?, or could I take an image with norton Ghost re-install windows then load that old image (from the old set-up) and image that back to my new install?

If I could get away with booting back to windows that would be awsome, my motherboard is an Asus K8n (not the -E Deluxe) I am running Nvraid with two 80Gb maxtor sata II drives in raid 0, so I was thinking I might be able to get into the Lanparty's bios and turn on all the raid ect and get away without the need to reload windows drivers and a fresh install.

Any Guidance would be greatly appreciated, as I would like to get going on this assap so I can get my old MB off to stevil.

EDIT: Oh forgot to ask, can i take a back up of all my programs even installed ones with norton ghost, and if I have to do a fresh install would I be able to use ghost to put back everything onto the fresh install, I have never done this and seing how I am pressed for time I had to resort to asking be cause I really dont know.

[XC] mysticmerlin
09-29-2006, 07:26 AM
The way Bill Os is you will more than likley get the BSOD and have to re-install. GL bud, Scott

WesM63
09-29-2006, 08:33 AM
Michael,
You may get lucky since the chipsets are similar. The only way is to try it.

If you get a BSOD, re-install over the top (repair install). That way you keep all your programs.

STEvil
09-29-2006, 08:12 PM
Usually I do a safe-mode boot, uninstall drivers from previous setup, reboot and install new drivers.

With a RAID setup your array will probably not work unless the RAID controller and BIOS revision on the board I sent you are the same... at least I think thats what I remember someone else posting around here sometime ago..

-Acid-
09-29-2006, 08:20 PM
another safe mode

raid will not work tho due to different chipsets bios

i have a dfi 250 nf3 3400+ 1mb clawhammer cruncher running too, water cooled @2500 (it dies after few hours at 3ghz, temps too much)

[XC] leviathan18
09-29-2006, 08:41 PM
it shouldnt ask for reactivation....

Holst
09-29-2006, 09:03 PM
Im sure there is a way to swap the raid drivers before you swap boards. So it will work on the new chipset.

I think I managed to do it one time by just installing the new boards drivers into windows before swapping boards ... but it seems wrong..

Maybe I only managed it as I swapped from nvidia chipset to nvidia and the drivers were similar..
Long time aggo and I forget things.. sorry I cant help more.

SmokeyFalls
09-29-2006, 10:36 PM
I've done this with Win2000 a couple times. I don't know if it will work with XP, but, I uninstalled the system drivers and then swapped configurations.

Fr3ak
09-30-2006, 12:02 AM
I always do a fresh install. Helps stability a lot sometimes and a fresh install is a bit faster than a old one.
So I would backup the files you need, format and install XP again.

[XC] riptide
09-30-2006, 03:17 AM
Firechicken - this is what i done before.

1)Install new MB drivers on old board ie. run their setup programs. Also change IDE controller to 'standard IDE' in system devices.

2)Used Acronis Trueimage Enterprise to clone RAID 0 onto single IDE drive.

3)Swap motherboards.

4)Boot using IDE drive. True Image has this handy 'Syncronising with Operating System' ;)

5)When your happy all new MB drivers have followed through with their installtions and found new harware has all been resolved..

6).. Install your RAID 0 array and then re-clone back from your IDE drive onto the RAID 0.

Firechicken
09-30-2006, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the help guys. Ended up wiping my hdd's by mistake. I had major raid issues with my nf3 250 asus MB and found only 1 set of drivers out of every single set there are worked, and only slipstreamed.

Now I'm back to square One, I can't get this new DFI NF3 250Gb to take the raid set up no matter what I do, these NF3's are good chips but the raid support is horible now I have a down cruncher lol.

[XC] leviathan18
09-30-2006, 10:15 AM
dont use raid????? save yourselve a headache

-Acid-
09-30-2006, 06:33 PM
i,m using a 2 gb quantium hd on my nf3 250 , enough space for os, swap file and bonic, job done :)

Jazz_Data
09-30-2006, 07:45 PM
if you want a legit windows now, just go to the grocery store, find a XP sticker on the cash register, and text it on your cell :D Then call XP activation and tell them you are reinstalling on the same machine :toast:

[XC] riptide
10-01-2006, 02:48 AM
if you want a legit windows now, just go to the grocery store, find a XP sticker on the cash register, and text it on your cell :D Then call XP activation and tell them you are reinstalling on the same machine :toast:
:slapass: Bold!! :mad: A suggestion all the same!

[XC] Teroedni
10-01-2006, 03:11 AM

Or If you dont plan to game with the machine download a Ubuntu disc or a DSL one and run boinc on that.

STEvil
10-01-2006, 01:01 PM
rather unrelated to this thread...