PDA

View Full Version : Plugging in DVI kills computer?

dastt
09-27-2006, 04:37 PM
alright lemme get this out there first, my brother did this to HIS pc and i had no part in it.

story starts will he got a new 19inch widescreen monitor. he says its a little fuzzy and when he raises the resolution it off centers the picture. i told hom to plug in the DVI cable instead of using VGA, he does and....nothing. the pc froze and he gets no post, Hdd spins, no beeps or anything like that.

few questions-

1. can you kill your mobo/vid card by having DVI and VGA plugged in at the same time to same monitor while pc is on?

2. ive plugged my monitor in and out hundreds of times whiles its on without any ill effects so could that be what went wrong? he plugged it in while the pc was on and fried his video card?

3. can i fried vid card stop a system from booting? it doesnt sound like its even trying to start so maybe...ram?

im not home until saturday to look at it so dont ask me to try anything, my
brother is a black hole with pcs he fried his mobo pluggin in a cdrom last time.

system-
p4 2.66
2x512 generic ram
nvidia 5200
cant rememeber mobo
500w psu

dastt
09-27-2006, 05:10 PM
yup it was the video card, on a crappy one at that. he took it upon himself to remove it and try the on board.

dastt
09-27-2006, 05:10 PM
double post

Stigma
09-28-2006, 01:20 AM
1. Normally no. I've certainly done that hundreds of times.
2. Dunno, seems strange to me too.
3. Yes it can, but it won't in all cases.

-Stigma