PDA

View Full Version : PC5300 or PC5400? DDR2-667

psyconut713
09-27-2006, 05:42 AM
I want to update the Ram in my Mac Mini. It’s an Intel-based Mini, soon to have a Merom :D CPU, but I want to update the Ram while I am in there. I just really want to know what the best notebook Ram is, what would work best with a Merom 7600ES? So who's got some recommendations for me? I know you all have an opinion.

ugp
09-27-2006, 07:24 PM
I know the MacBooks PC5300

ShootStraight
09-27-2006, 07:38 PM
Both will work. I'd go with the cheaper.

-SS

psyconut713
09-27-2006, 08:44 PM
i know it's 5300, and i believe that 5400 can go in it too, but what brand/model would be best? muskin, corsair, ocz?

ShootStraight
09-27-2006, 10:00 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think notebook mem is pretty much a commodity product and performs pretty much equally between brands. I also think youre limited to a select few brands. Therefore I'd let price be your first guide, or perhaps warranty, RMA ease, personal prefrence, as voltage, timings, etc are pretty generic/irrelevant AFAIU.

I personally have 9 mini's (6 of them meroms) all with 2gb of the cheapest DDR2 667 I could find, and they have performed flawlessly under 24x7 load with uptimes greater than a month now.

Sorry I wasnt able to help more, maybe someone will come along with a more informed opinion and recommendation.

-SS

ugp
09-28-2006, 04:26 AM
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think notebook mem is pretty much a commodity product and performs pretty much equally between brands. I also think youre limited to a select few brands. Therefore I'd let price be your first guide, or perhaps warranty, RMA ease, personal prefrence, as voltage, timings, etc are pretty generic/irrelevant AFAIU.

I personally have 9 mini's (6 of them meroms) all with 2gb of the cheapest DDR2 667 I could find, and they have performed flawlessly under 24x7 load with uptimes greater than a month now.

Sorry I wasnt able to help more, maybe someone will come along with a more informed opinion and recommendation.

-SS
9 MINIS! Damn..why so many? Business use or home use?

Vapor
09-28-2006, 04:43 AM
Cute, compact, consistent and stable crunching monsters :p:

And, yeah, just get the cheapest DDR2-667 SODIMMs you can find for your desired capacity.

ShootStraight
09-28-2006, 08:09 AM
9 MINIS! Damn..why so many? Business use or home use?

Cute, compact, consistent and stable crunching monsters :p:

That pretty much sums it up. I might only add that they are extremely low-power as well. That, and the wife thinks they help amplify the wireless internet. :rofl:

-SS

psyconut713
09-28-2006, 01:10 PM
dude, thats nice, wish i had nine, or money for nine, lol. well, if you say go cheap. i'll go cheap, thanks

Oh and SS, you got any addvice for a first time mac mini jober?

ShootStraight
09-28-2006, 08:12 PM
Oh and SS, you got any addvice for a first time mac mini jober?

I presume you mean the chip upgrade.

I would recommend you read Fuggers post and the links he provides till you are familar with it.

I would recommend you have a book, notepad, couple of jewel cases, or something else to put underneath the HD/DVD assembly when you remove it and flip it over to expose the mobo. It will help provide some slack for the (sound) ribbon cable, so that it wont shear off if any forces are applied to it accidentally (Yes I sheared one off).

I would also recommend to take care in removing the heatsink retainer pins (white plastic jobbers) as they will lose their retainment barb. If you do break one - Its gonna happen - a 1" #4 Machine screw (nonconductive washers too) and nut will fit the bill nicely. Dont lose the little springs. If you do, a spring from a spare 'clickable' ball point pen will work. When you are removing the pins, make sure to place your finger over the pin you are working on. The spring will shoot the pin back too far and will break the barbed head off.

HTH. If you run into problems just post em.

-SS

flavoraid
10-24-2006, 07:38 AM
Shootstraight sell me 1 of those macminis :)

ShootStraight
10-24-2006, 10:03 AM
Up to 12 minis now :) 11 of em Meroms. :D

-SS