PDA

View Full Version : Reapplied Thermal Paste [MacBook]

ugp
09-24-2006, 09:12 PM
It really didn't do much so far. I applied some AS5 and temps at load still go to 80C. Idles a few degrees lower and that is about it. It wasn't worth taken apart in my opinion.

On a side note has anyone had any problems with there Optical drive making a weird sound when reading a disc and causing errors during it. For example one CD worked fine since it works in everything else but when I put it in my MacBook it tried to read it and then spits it out. It read it the very first time.

And then when trying to restore my MacBook it wouldn't read the DVD probably but worked fine when I used my External DVD drive.

lowfat
09-24-2006, 10:02 PM
have applecare? send it away to get fixed :)

ugp
09-25-2006, 04:23 AM
No just the regular warranty. And I am sure the warranty is void now. Although the Optical drive has been this way for about a week now. I just figured it was being picky...I have always known my laptop optical drives to be picky about reading discs.

ugp
09-29-2006, 06:10 PM
Thought I would post a picture of my MacBook opened. I didn't take any others while doing it because I was way too focused on what I was doing.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y190/ugp/MacBook/Pictures/Open.jpg

lowfat
09-30-2006, 10:52 PM
the cpu is soldered to the main logic board right?

Vapor
09-30-2006, 11:17 PM
Yes.

eddieate
10-01-2006, 06:04 AM
anyone want to crack open theyr MacBook pro open? I wanna see but I'm scared :D
Ed.

ugp
10-01-2006, 07:54 AM
Ask FragTek...or go to OC3D.net and he has complete pictures of his opened. He stripped it down to the case...I mean everything and I think he told me he ended up with a few screws left over too.

eddieate
10-01-2006, 12:15 PM
Ask FragTek...or go to OC3D.net and he has complete pictures of his opened. He stripped it down to the case...I mean everything and I think he told me he ended up with a few screws left over too.

Cheers :toast:

I love the Classic Apple logo mod fragtek, how much does that void the warrenty you reckon?
Ed.

ugp
10-01-2006, 12:49 PM

I love the Classic Apple logo mod fragtek, how much does that void the warrenty you reckon?
Ed.
I believe it voids it altogether. Because taking it apart itself voids it if they knew about it and with that obviously it was taken apart.

FragTek
10-07-2006, 05:38 PM

Ed.
Hehe thanks mate :) I'm pretty sure that I completely destroyed my AppleCare, but Apple doesn't use "Void if Removed" stickers anywhere, and I used all of the original tape etc when reassembling, u cant even tell that it's been taken apart. If for some reason I have to send it in, I will take out my classic Apple logo mod beforehand, and I think i could actually get by :)

http://www.fragtek.com/pix/mbpdis_1.jpg

There's a taste of what it looks like under the hood, u can find all of my pix at this thread: http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=4709

Vapor
10-07-2006, 05:50 PM
Yeah, we (I fix Apples between classes) can't tell there's been a modification except with the tape. Kapton tape tends to turn slightly opaque after removing it the first time (usually). But unless there's a shot of vodka poured in there or just any obvious damage, we don't really care....

That said, the classic Apple logo would probably not fly everywhere :p:

And UGP, the answer wasn't different TIM (trust me, it makes no difference for avoiding the problems....none...nada.....zip), a different HSF will be needed if the problems arise. Nothing actually goes bad, just the thermositer goes a little crazy for some reason.

First Apple replaced logicboards, but problems kept popping up, then they replaced both HSF+LB, and the problems went away, but cost to them was just much too high as they found that SO few of the LBs were problematic. Now we just replace the HSF and there's no recitivism.