PDA

View Full Version : K8l slideshow...

Revv23
09-24-2006, 12:59 PM
http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/editorial/amd-guiseppe-amato-conf-part1.html

i found the link at the inq

fhpchris
09-24-2006, 01:07 PM
"Xeon-Woodcrest is indeed faster"

LOL

C2D > K8L :eek: :toast:

Lightman
09-24-2006, 01:11 PM
Interesting read, but nothing new.

Only thing which may be important is confirmation of K8L Q2/07 premiere.

Me will wait ;)

Lightman
09-24-2006, 01:15 PM

LOL

You confused benchmarks of Opteron 2220SE (2.8GHz K8 dual core) with upcoming K8L. AMD up to now nowhere presented any performance numbers from K8L. So C2D>K8 is true and C2d> = < K8L is what we know;) .

arisythila
09-24-2006, 01:54 PM

LOL

Your Avatar, has a guy thats making a L on his forehead.. I think its at you bro.

Were in there does it say C2D is Faster than K8L?

cky2k6
09-24-2006, 01:59 PM
it was already straightened out, no need to beat a dead horse

Eastcoasthandle
09-24-2006, 02:10 PM
From the specs so far on the K8L doesn't appear to a "compatible" as a "gamer's" processor to me.

Bloody_Sorcerer
09-24-2006, 03:02 PM
From the specs so far on the K8L doesn't appear to a "compatible" as a "gamer's" processor to me.
err... what? :stick:

fhpchris
09-24-2006, 03:04 PM
Your Avatar, has a guy thats making a L on his forehead.. I think its at you bro.

Were in there does it say C2D is Faster than K8L?

Oh no! not the AMD fanboys!

I am so frightened of the verbal jousts you make over the interweb :stick:

arisythila
09-24-2006, 03:28 PM
Your the one making false accusations about K8L based on no relevance evidence.

It also appears you have two Intel system, So I could say the same thing about you being an Intel fan boy... But then of course I know your going to come back with the rebuttal of “Im a performance enthusiast..” hahahaha

Next time come with some facts. :fact:

Thanks in advance

~Mike

Edit: Also waiting for you to answer my question.... Please will you.... please..

nn_step
09-24-2006, 03:32 PM
ummm there is absolutely NO new information in this one....

ozzimark
09-24-2006, 03:35 PM
ummm there is absolutely NO new information in this one....
i was gonna say, i think i've seen this slideshow already :D
at this point, waiting is the only thing we can really do :(

do explain what you mean.. so far it looks like the changes AMD is gonna make closely resemble the changes Intel made with conroe.. which is a nice gaming chip, no? :confused2

chris and arisythila.. :sofa: <- is what you should be doing right now :p:

fhpchris
09-24-2006, 03:51 PM
Registered DDR2 + IMC kinda kills everything for the Gamers.

I am not here for a penis contest with arisythila, All four of the AMD CPUs I have had in the past year are faster than his AM2.

I care only for performance :)

AMD is trying to cater to the server market, and I am sure they will continue to be successful.

arisythila
09-24-2006, 04:13 PM
Oh I called that... LOL

~Mike

Bloody_Sorcerer
09-24-2006, 04:16 PM
Err... since when is AM2 slow? unless you run horrendously mismatched and shoddy components, AM2 beats 939 100% of the time, what with its lowered latencies, increased bandwidth, increased capacity...

just because *his* AM2 may have been slow, does not mean AM2 is slow.

nn_step
09-24-2006, 04:21 PM

I am not here for a penis contest with arisythila, All four of the AMD CPUs I have had in the past year are faster than his AM2.

I care only for performance :)

AMD is trying to cater to the server market, and I am sure they will continue to be successful.
errm :stick:
WTF

AMD did NOT release a slower product. It released a BETTER product.
AM2 with the right Memory will beat s939 at EVERY benchmark

arisythila
09-24-2006, 04:44 PM
Err... since when is AM2 slow? unless you run horrendously mismatched and shoddy components, AM2 beats 939 100% of the time, what with its lowered latencies, increased bandwidth, increased capacity...

just because *his* AM2 may have been slow, does not mean AM2 is slow.

LOL, he just wants to fight. Its cool. I don't know what hes had. But I've got this up to 3 ghz on a Zalman 9500 AM2 cooler.. And I do know my Bandwidth makes his machines look like a toy. ;-)

Eh, what can I say.

~Mike

ozzimark
09-24-2006, 04:48 PM
are you implying that server systems are not good for gamers? why can't we just use K8L on the desktop? :D

mark = :confused:

arisythila
09-24-2006, 04:49 PM
Intel Fanboy, thats why, you dont have to feel clueless.... LOL

~Mike

fhpchris
09-24-2006, 04:51 PM
afIr3wIthIn: yeah pi bh5 will always win
afIr3wIthIn: 3d am2 is about 2% faster

Sean owns both, thats his opinion.

3 ghz was not too hard on 939.

DilTech
09-24-2006, 04:51 PM
I don't think chris realizes the Athlon 64 was originally a server chip as well.

AMD tend to start their tech as server side and move it over to the desktop.

arisythila
09-24-2006, 04:53 PM
100% correct.

~Mike

fhpchris
09-24-2006, 04:56 PM
Again, EEC and Registered DDR2 isnt always cheap or fast.

Memmory servers =/= Memmory for gamers

Bloody_Sorcerer
09-24-2006, 05:04 PM
and thats why we have AM2 and 1207. where are you going with this?

And since when did Pi provide an accurate portrayal of real-world scenarios? He said it himself, in 3d, AM2 is 2% faster. 2% faster is faster, and whatever this 3d may be is most probably a more accurate portrayal of a real-world scenario than superPi.

Also, K8L is a totally different core, and as thats what we're discussing, this whole conversation is pointless. K8L *needs* DDR2 for the bandwidth. and nobody said server memory was gamer memory, so back off. ECC/regged DDR2 is never cheap and only sometimes fast.

ozzimark
09-24-2006, 06:15 PM
Intel Fanboy, thats why, you dont have to feel clueless.... LOL

~Mike
just rub in our faces, jeez. :slap:

anyway, back on topic....

as sorcerer said, K8L is indeed a chip.. that will come out for F and AM2.. just like how we have F and AM2 K8. and S1. and 939, 940, 754.. we won't have to use registered ram, end of story.

purefun65
09-24-2006, 06:25 PM
I despise It when someone trys to argue a point based on either lack of knowledge or missinformation. It makes any future posts by them less credible.

Fred_Pohl
09-24-2006, 06:47 PM
Where's the beef? I'm sick of 4x4 and K8L slide shows and AMD PR marketing bull:banana::banana::banana::banana: where they try to claim performance per watt leadership with rigged tests.

When is AMD finally going to demo any of this vaporware they keep hyping?

DilTech
09-24-2006, 06:53 PM
Where's the beef? I'm sick of 4x4 and K8L slide shows and AMD PR marketing bull:banana::banana::banana::banana: where they try to claim performance per watt leadership with rigged tests.

You do realize, we generally hear about an architecture before we see it...

We heard about "conroe" for quite some time before intel showed it if you think back.

Does everyone have to spout off at every thread about K8L?

fhpchris
09-24-2006, 06:53 PM

as sorcerer said, K8L is indeed a chip.. that will come out for F and AM2.. just like how we have F and AM2 K8. and S1. and 939, 940, 754.. we won't have to use registered ram, end of story.

The problem is that 4x4 is said to be LGA 1207 and not AM2 as many hoped.

I think that the performance numbers that Kentsfield has shown us have been crazy so far, and for single socket computing, K8L's multi processor advantages might not be so clearly cut.

We will have to wait for serious results later, AMD isnt even close to actually letting K8L retail, and Kentsfield should be out earlier than expected in november.

AMD is on the clock here, not Intel. I get tired of seeing these bickering threads where people go back and fourth, this isnt the first time AMD has had a performance deficit and still had good sales. Both platforms are good ones.

ozzimark
09-24-2006, 07:04 PM
The problem is that 4x4 is said to be LGA 1207 and not AM2 as many hoped.
we're not talking about 4x4. we're talking about K8L. :fact:

other than that though, you are quite right ;)

arisythila
09-24-2006, 07:35 PM

I have no problem with you. If you are a intel fanboy, You are one of the few fanboy that can have a SERIOUS conversation without making false accusations. For one to say, "im not an intel fanboy, I just care about performance" and then shoot down a thread of another technology that will/should leave Conroe in the dust. Is just stupid. From what I see from you. You have constructive posts. They mean something. They are nothing like, "Oh K8L is crap", "Conroe > K8L"... ect ect. You actually know what your talking about. When Conroe new threads came out, talking about how bad ass conroe was going to be. I dont ever remeber me crapping all over conroe. Matter a fact. I said, "cool". AMD needs competition! If Intel had never brought out Conroe, I'd still be paying 600 bucks for 4600+, or a 5000+. I dont want to pay that much.. I like the new prices. Post-Conroe.

I wouldnt consider myself an AMD fanboy. I would consider myself someone that cannot do business with Intel. Although I did own a E6600 ES. But I sold it.

But lets stick with the Topic.

Thanks.

~Mike

fhpchris
09-24-2006, 07:39 PM
we're not talking about 4x4. we're talking about K8L. :fact:

other than that though, you are quite right ;)

Ah yes, but remember we have been told 4x4 should support the quad core, meaning it should support K8L :)

I think two K8Ls in LGA 1207 should be a fun comp to run Cinebench or encode with at least :)

cky2k6
09-24-2006, 09:08 PM
theres a reason why 4x4 is on 1207, one of them being that it supports ddr3, two because it has the needed 3rd ht interconnect which am2 lacks.

nn_step
09-24-2006, 09:24 PM
umm you only need 1 coherent HTT link for two processors to work together. Working with anything else is a different matter

Absolute_0
09-24-2006, 09:45 PM
Hmmmm more slideshows

AMD should leak some ESs soon...

zakelwe
09-24-2006, 10:32 PM
Well I guess it is still 9 months to go AMD's baby so I am not demanding leaks yet. It's a long time for a phoney war to go on for though, imagine the number of these types of threads we'll have till then :)

Regards

Andy

Sorrow13
09-24-2006, 10:37 PM
well nutz, i had hoped wed get past all this fanboism (from both camps) What most people fail to look at, is either solution is gonna kick ass. end of story. Here at XS, there will be peeps who push the limits of every platform, every style.

Let it go, enjoy the f*-ing show.

alayashu
09-24-2006, 10:39 PM
in 3 months you'll have K8L demo-ed and in another 3 you'll have it in the store.

Sorrow13
09-24-2006, 10:51 PM
4x4 will start as a server architechture, its what AMD is best at. Whether or not it will properly trickle down into the consumer market (its main target) depends solely on software companies.
Both k8l (and c2d/kentsfield) have their intended markets. Execution will be key. I dont think consumer level will change much.
OEMs will buy what people want (or is cheap), enthusiasts will take the most powerful option, and the server market will be split depending on application.
Its a diverse market out there.
As someone said, only time will tell.

duploxxx
09-25-2006, 06:37 AM

duh nice try but AMD is not hyping anything... the people who buy stuff are hyping technologie....

btw k8l is not only quad core, it is build also for dualcore, but most of them forget that. And if kentsfield is that great why then is conroe already lacking in real multithread performance, same as the woodcrest does.

cky2k6
09-25-2006, 06:46 AM
4x4 will start as a server architechture, its what AMD is best at. Whether or not it will properly trickle down into the consumer market (its main target) depends solely on software companies.
Both k8l (and c2d/kentsfield) have their intended markets. Execution will be key. I dont think consumer level will change much.
OEMs will buy what people want (or is cheap), enthusiasts will take the most powerful option, and the server market will be split depending on application.
Its a diverse market out there.
As someone said, only time will tell.
once again, no, 4x4 is not starting as a server architecture. its not even an architecture for that matter... using socket 1207 isnt that big of a deal, its just a different socket for the mobo manfuacturer to solder on, what makes a server is ecc ram or pci-x or other cap we enthusiasts are not going to use. 4x4 is not going to use that, they will have gaming mobos, not server ones, socket 1207 doesnt affect that.

turtle
09-25-2006, 07:38 AM
once again, no, 4x4 is not starting as a server architecture. its not even an architecture for that matter... using socket 1207 isnt that big of a deal, its just a different socket for the mobo manfuacturer to solder on, what makes a server is ecc ram or pci-x or other cap we enthusiasts are not going to use. 4x4 is not going to use that, they will have gaming mobos, not server ones, socket 1207 doesnt affect that.

This is true.

I think he may have been trying to say K8L will start as a server/4x4-only architecture (1207), which by all accounts looks to be the case.

Fred_Pohl
09-25-2006, 09:44 AM
duh nice try but AMD is not hyping anything... the people who buy stuff are hyping technologie....

btw k8l is not only quad core, it is build also for dualcore, but most of them forget that. And if kentsfield is that great why then is conroe already lacking in real multithread performance, same as the woodcrest does.

If by "lacking" you mean to say that C2D is only 10% faster than K8 in certain apps when running 4 threads instead of the typical 30% faster when running only 1 thread, you are correct. K8 with it's ODMC and HT bus does scale better in certain multi-threaded apps as the number of cores and threads increase.

It's important to keep in mind that almost nothing is known about which core improvements will be present on the rushed Q2-07 K8Ls (HT3 is missing but what else?), when the first Athlon desktop versions will appear, when the first dual core versions will appear and most importantly, nothing is known about K8L's real world performance. It's one thing to theorize about what K8L might do if this and that feature are implemented and work as they should but quite another thing to see actual performance data.

kemist
09-25-2006, 09:45 AM

I dont really see how they are hyping it. They arent claiming anything about K8L performance, they are just saying what features the new architecture is going to have.

As per performance per watt leadership, duh, thats what both sides do. Pick some type of test that shows them favorably. Intel did it with P4 AMD is doing it now with K8.