PDA

View Full Version : Help me make drawing with characters and strings in JAVA

Makubex_GB
09-24-2006, 10:18 AM
I have to make this program for tomorrow that makes a drawing by inserting characters or strings, setting each character or strings' location with x,y coordinates. These are the conditions:

1. Must be able to save the whole drawing to a string variable.

2. Must be able to replace any given character at any location.

3. Must be able to delete any given character at any location.

4. Must be able to insert any given character at any location.

5. Must be able to replace every instance in the drawing of a given character for another character.

6. Must be able to remove 25% of the drawing while keeping it understandable.

7. Must be able to display the drawing on screen (of course).

**Suggested we use the classes String and StringBuffer**

Now I don't want you to make the program for me, I just need to know what methods to use! We still haven't even covered loops (but I can use them if necessary) and the Prof. wants us to make this!!

I know I can use drawString(str,x,y) to insert strings, but how the heck can I save the whole drawing into a single string variable???

Please help me. http://www.3dgameman.com/forums/images/smilies/hail.gif

Ashraf
09-27-2006, 05:43 PM
This sounds like homework assignment.

If it is, we can't help your homework.

Makubex_GB
09-28-2006, 12:14 PM
Wtf u talking about? It is homework, and anyone can help if he/she wants to.

Besides I already did it.

IFMU
09-29-2006, 06:04 PM
Alrighty now. Staff has had a discussion about 'homework' on site.

Our stance is relatively simple. Anyone asking for help is acceptable, maybe even a bit encouraged. Asking someone else to do your own work, we do not condone. We arent parents of the members here so we are not going to make it a rule/guideline, consider it a suggestion. We have plenty of other work to do here on/for the site than worry whether or not someone here is 'cheating' on their homework.
Afterall, if they are, they are only hurting themselves. ;)

Now, just so its understood, Makubex_GB, we are not saying you were asking for someone to do it for you! Just this thread in particular was reported and asking for our stance on the subject.
So, this post is for the member(s) who did so. We have discussed it and this is our stance on the matter.

Thank you for understanding.

IFMU & XS Staff

Makubex_GB
10-06-2006, 06:39 PM
Yeah, I understand IFMU, that's why I clearly said in my original post "I don't want you to make the program for me, I just need to know what methods to use!".

My professor wouldn't mind at all if I received some help on these assignments, that's why I asked.