PDA

View Full Version : Linux and WCG

[XC] hipno650
09-23-2006, 06:29 PM
i am a total n00b to linux and this is my first ever time using it and i was wondering what version would be best for WCG? i have downloaded ubuntu and have got it chruching away but am not sure if it is the best choice? most of the rigs that would be running linux would be older ones celly 1.3@1.5's and the like. also what is the performance like compared to windows?

thx:toast:

[XC] mysticmerlin
09-23-2006, 08:34 PM
from what I have read is that linux doesn't score right with WCG. I am working on a KnoppixCluster that I can not get to see each other. I will post if I figure it out. If not I will just put linux on all 4 and call it a day.
LMK what you find out.
Thanks, Scott

[XC] hipno650
09-23-2006, 08:55 PM
so far so good with my p3 650 23% done a faah wu so far. it takes about 24h to do one in windows so i will see how long it takes in linux. the bigest thing i want to know is the verson i sould be running. is there one that is better than ubuntu at wcg?

[XC] mysticmerlin
09-23-2006, 08:57 PM
I know that is the one that MovieMan put on his, PM him and see what he has found out.

rob725
09-23-2006, 09:06 PM
Most versions of linux run pretty lean, so if all you will be doing is crunching, it may not matter much which distribution you use.

[XC] mysticmerlin
09-23-2006, 09:07 PM
if you run from console it will do better then from X also.

Movieman
09-23-2006, 09:43 PM
I know that is the one that MovieMan put on his, PM him and see what he has found out.
No Linux here, never got around to it. I did just grab the RC1 of Vista the other night but not on anything yet. DAK said that he saw some HUGE increases with it.

[XC]melymel
09-24-2006, 12:55 AM
I think all llinux distro's do as well as each other in boinc. I use ubuntu if any because I understand it slightly more and my benchmark score's certainly weren't lower than Fedora 5. Also if the p3's substantially quicker in linux LMK because mine takes 24hours for 1 wu too :p:. :toast:

brot
09-24-2006, 02:40 AM
well, i have most of my machines running under linux and i have the impression that it is faster than windows. A tip for everyone running linux:

do, as root: echo "1" > /proc/sys/kernel/compute
and: echo "1"> /proc/sys/kernel/interactive

it will tell the cpu scheduler that its work is mostly crunching and you dont need interactivity. Should be running faster ;)
edit: maybe this should be in some sticky or what - maybe a whole collection of tips ;)

Fr3ak
09-24-2006, 04:47 AM
The rosetta linux client should also work with WCG, but its a optimised client.
The standard linux client was always slower than the standard Windows client for rosetta, so it might be the same with WCG.

Jaco
09-24-2006, 05:15 AM
No Linux here, never got around to it. I did just grab the RC1 of Vista the other night but not on anything yet. DAK said that he saw some HUGE increases with it.

Yeah, Dak saw higher benchmark scores with his dually 4400 after switching to vista rc1.
I have a single core 3800 , but no change at all in benchmark scores.
Maybe Vista is only doing better for dual core cpu's?

[XC] hipno650
09-24-2006, 03:24 PM
well my p3 just finished a wu and it took 21h in ubuntu compared to 24h in windows so far so good i will wait for it to do more wus before i swicth the other rigs tho.

brot
09-25-2006, 06:03 AM
My brothers X2 is running better in linux, 5 points more / 10 h. Too bad he is in windows most of the time because he plays guildwars :(