PDA

View Full Version : IBM, Sun, AMD to share common socket?

oldblue
09-23-2006, 08:24 AM
According to The Register, IBM is planning on using Opteron sockets (http://www.theregister.com/2006/09/22/ibm_power7_opteron/) for its future server chips.

And The Inquirer previously reported that Sun will also be putting its chips in Opteron sockets (http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32854).

And AMD has started to talk about something called the "Torrenza Innovation Socket" (http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/VirtualPressRoom/0,,51_104_543~112780,00.html).

There has also recently been a report that 4x4 will be for server sockets (http://tweakers.net/nieuws/44504/AMD-4x4-platform-gebaseerd-op-Socket-1207.html).

There's not a lot of solid information here, but there are some interesting puzzle pieces. I wonder if AMD plans on standardizing on a single socket for all high-performance systems, including those making use of Torrenza.

Starscream
09-23-2006, 08:50 AM
would be a huge boost for the flexibility of AMD Server systems.

and torrenza aint new, AMD is talking about it for a long time but this news gives people that didnt believe in its use something to think about.

biohead
09-23-2006, 09:50 AM
My dad used to work for Sun for quite some time, an ex-colleague told him that he had attended a meeting (@Sun) regarding 'something revolutionairy' of AMD. Maybe this was what he was talking about.

Rovtar
09-23-2006, 09:52 AM
There has also recently been a report that 4x4 will be for server sockets.

i thaught that 4x4 will be for us users (gamers) :S

so what is true?

biohead
09-23-2006, 10:00 AM
Erm does that sentence make any sense at all? It already exists \o/

oldblue
09-23-2006, 10:45 AM

Erm does that sentence make any sense at all? It already exists \o/

There has been a lot of discussion about this (on this thread (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=116874)). The linked article reports that 4x4 will be on socket F. It's possible that

1) The article is wrong.
2) The article is right, but there's something other than the socket that differentiates 4x4 systems from current multi-socket servers.
3) The article is right, and 4x4 is just a rebranding of current multi-socket servers.

nn_step
09-23-2006, 12:18 PM
+3 value for AMD server boards

SlicerSV
09-23-2006, 12:42 PM
2) The article is right, but there's something other than the socket that differentiates 4x4 systems from current multi-socket servers.
my theory is that of #2. i seriously don't think that AMD would be so silly as to force an entire socket to require registered ram. THAT is going to be the difference. the new cpu's will be dropping the requirement for registered ram, thus correcting the horrible cost problems.

what we need someone to make eventually, this is going to be unavoidable, is registered ram without the ECC. eventually we'll come to a point in the cycle where it won't be processor speed, number of processors, ram speed, or various bus speeds that'll bottleneck us, but the AMOUNT of memory. i beleive that the limit of unregistered ram is 16GB? we're gunna need to go registered, on all platforms. registered ram costs more, but it doesn't actually change the latency of ram, it's ECC that adds latency, and some memory manufacturers have managed to make DDR 1g registered ECC modules with 3-4-4-8 timings. that's pretty tight, considering the fasted unbuffered is 2-2-2-5.

Thorry
09-23-2006, 12:59 PM
There has been a lot of discussion about this (on this thread (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=116874)). The linked article reports that 4x4 will be on socket F. It's possible that

1) The article is wrong.
3) The article is right, and 4x4 is just a rebranding of current multi-socket servers.

It's number 3, but it isn't a rebranding.

The 4x4 systems will be developed for high-end consumers, using techniques from the server platform. I've never seen a server mobo with SLI, or without registrered memory, or without PCI-X.

So it takes all those very nice server techs to our homes, this with the 4x4 quadfather brand. That's no rebranding, that's simply nice ;)

I wonder what VIA will do, they've always used Intel sockets and bus techniques. (First S370, making it the longest ever running socket and now S479 with C7)

All the 'smaller' players on the market will have to combine forces, it costs a lot of money to develop or license sockets and the bus techniques. Since AMD has developed the best package (with help) it's no surprise everybody want to use it.

STEvil
09-23-2006, 01:23 PM

The 4x4 systems will be developed for high-end consumers, using techniques from the server platform. I've never seen a server mobo with SLI, or without registrered memory, or without PCI-X.

Tyan made a few based on the nForce 2250 or something chipset iirc.

duploxxx
09-25-2006, 06:44 AM
byebye intel CSI.... bury it before it even gets out of the drawing board :)

btw if 4x4 only is renamed 1207 server board it would already be released and don't need r&d so stop the crap. it is 1207 socket with normal ddr2

nn_step
09-25-2006, 07:58 AM

So it takes all those very nice server techs to our homes, this with the 4x4 quadfather brand. That's no rebranding, that's simply nice ;)

I wonder what VIA will do, they've always used Intel sockets and bus techniques. (First S370, making it the longest ever running socket and now S479 with C7)

All the 'smaller' players on the market will have to combine forces, it costs a lot of money to develop or license sockets and the bus techniques. Since AMD has developed the best package (with help) it's no surprise everybody want to use it.
I think Even Via would be willing to jump onboard at the price currently for that socket tech (nothing) Even if they don't use it as their main processor socket.

Turtle 1
09-25-2006, 10:35 AM
byebye intel CSI.... bury it before it even gets out of the drawing board :)

btw if 4x4 only is renamed 1207 server board it would already be released and don't need r&d so stop the crap. it is 1207 socket with normal ddr2

Why's that. Intel will introduce its plans for a common platform socket this week at IDF. Intel has already talked to 30+ companys about co processors.

With CSI this could really be something for Intel . It seems that Intel is also offering its socket to be open . Now who do you go with Intel with 80% of the market. Or AMD with 20% of market. Thats a tough question . INTEL

alayashu
09-25-2006, 10:42 AM
you go with the better option.

SlicerSV
09-25-2006, 10:59 AM
you make more than one part if you're smart. these co-processors aren't going to be included in OEM pre-built computers, heck no, they're going to be for people who build their own systems, and that market is pretty evenly split between Intel and AMD and is based on individual performance rather than how easy it is to get or who has the bigger market.

Turtle 1
09-25-2006, 11:15 AM
Thats the whole problem . AMD and Intel have to use a common platform . Now we know Intel will not except. AMD's socket. We also know AMD will not except Intels socket. We need a committtee to decide what the best socket would be forcommon usage among all competitors.