PDA

View Full Version : Watercooling the Asus p5wdh dlx

Herr Brun
09-19-2006, 11:43 PM
Hey!
I'm just about upgrading my rig to a watercooled one, and it will be my first. I have a E6300, Asus p5w dh deluxe, asus 7900gt and OCZ pc6400 c5 in a Lian Li pc6277b (http://www.dansdata.com/pc6277b.htm). I'll be using a 2*120mm rad (wish I could buy the neat thermochill PA, but nobody sells it in norway), swiftech 6000, mc60 (gpu) and a DD MAG2 (?), but I'm not sure if I'll watercool the northbridge. Will the swiftech fit nicely?
The thing with the nb is that it gets _really_ hot, and I don't want to use the fan that comes with the mobo, as it is noisy. Will the Swiftech MC30 fit? And how about the other parts of the mobo that needs cooling? Will they do with just a fan in the back, one in the front and one in the side door? And what about the "upper part" of the heatsink that cools the nb, does it hide anything that needs cooling?

My english could be better, but I hope you understand what I mean.

- Andreas

skaktuss
09-20-2006, 12:35 AM
mag2 is too weak for 3 blocks! find something more powerfull mcp650 or ddc.
i think ek chipset waterblock is better than swiftech one. http://ekwaterblocks.com/shop/index.php?currency=EUR&cPath=21_32&sort=2a

Herr Brun
09-20-2006, 01:22 AM
Too weak? Darn. Guess I'll have to go with the mcp655.
Can't find EK chipset blocks in decent webshops in Norway. only their graphic cards block.

How about the NB question? Do I need to watercool anything else than the Northbridge on the mobo?

rithina
09-20-2006, 01:35 AM
the swiftech 30 NB will do fine. I have been using that :)

Alchemy1
09-20-2006, 02:43 AM
Why WC your northbridge? A good air cooler should be just as good. Besides removing that block means that you will have less tubing, less restriction in your loop, and your rad will have to deal with less heat.

Herr Brun
09-20-2006, 02:54 AM
I don't care that much for overclocking. I want SILENCE! Good air coolers for the nb? They all use smal <40mm fans that are all real noisy. I want my system to be quiet. If that means getting 10mhz less from my CPU, so be it.

septim
09-20-2006, 04:54 AM
Too weak? Darn. Guess I'll have to go with the mcp655.
Can't find EK chipset blocks in decent webshops in Norway. only their graphic cards block.

How about the NB question? Do I need to watercool anything else than the Northbridge on the mobo?

do you limit yourself to norway webshops only? that is very limiting, why not try one of these shops:
http://www.thermochill.com/retailers.php

most of us need some form of shipping on our items, its not every retailer around the block carries a complete lineup of watercooling parts, i even had to import from the states, via expensive air shipping just to get my parts...

general water cooling is CPU and GPU, optional NB, Hdisks, PSU (advance water cooling)...

pump that mcp655 aka D5 is decent enought, if you can find a mcp355 (ddc 18w) then good for you, one less part to import...

Herr Brun
09-20-2006, 07:17 AM
It becomes alot more expensive when importing, as you have to pay 25% VAT on the product and the shipping.

nikhsub1
09-20-2006, 07:39 AM
I don't care that much for overclocking. I want SILENCE! Good air coolers for the nb? They all use smal <40mm fans that are all real noisy. I want my system to be quiet. If that means getting 10mhz less from my CPU, so be it.
I have the same MB and I could NOT get the NB block to stay on the die correctly... that board only has 2 hooks to attach a sink. It sucks. With the torque of the tubing it will be very hard to get the block to stay on properly... I now use the swiftech NB cooler (air) which is VERY quiet, only 18dba.

septim
09-20-2006, 07:43 AM
you have that right.
it happens around the world.
the item you want, you need to work for it...

[XC] leviathan18
09-20-2006, 07:55 AM
you can talk with the store to see if there is anyway to remove the tax... most small stores do that for you