PDA

View Full Version : Scratching my head..

Movieman
09-19-2006, 06:11 PM
and getting nowhere!
I have MJ12 installed on my main machine.
I go to install tonight on my Dx2400
Install netframework 1.1..
MJ12 installs but I can't register it.
go back to main machine, try and update details as my email address has changed and can't connect.
Also tells me that I need a longer password..
I never put one in( that I remember) when I first installed it.
Now it's asking for one..
Any ideas? Any MJ12 gurus' out there tonight so I can get another instance running and go bloody Bloody Scorcerer?:D

Frisch
09-19-2006, 06:21 PM
Short story
It's down. :(

Movieman
09-19-2006, 06:53 PM
Short story
It's down. :(
Good, Now I don't feel like damned fool here not being able to make it work!
Thanks Frisch!:toast:

DAK1640
09-20-2006, 04:32 AM
Am I an idiot? I thought my lappy got f/u so I deleted MJ-12 and re-installed. I had 120 uploads ready...:confused: Now it started over, however no buckets to load...:nono:

feedmemonster
09-20-2006, 09:04 AM
Has anyone been getting this (http://www.majestic12.co.uk/projects/dsearch/userinfo.php?id=1283) error when trying to access their personal stats page? I just registered yesterday so that may be the problem. But, I am just worried because I have already completed a handful of buckets and nothing is showing up on the stats pages. Anyone have any ideas?

Movieman
09-20-2006, 10:18 AM
I messeaged Alex Chudnovsky, the guy that runs MJ12, last night over a issue, and he got back to me in 2 mins and told me they had a HD issue and he was copying data over to another drive. Would be a few hours till sorted out.
edit: just got another email, everything is up and running...Nice guy to deal with..

[XC]melymel
09-20-2006, 10:30 AM
I messeaged Alex Chudnovsky, the guy that runs MJ12, last night over a issue, and he got back to me in 2 mins and told me they had a HD issue and he was copying data over to another drive. Would be a few hours till sorted out.
edit: just got another email, everything is up and running...Nice guy to deal with..

Yep it's definately back up and runnning the routers flashing away and overheating again, it had a nice break for a few hours earlier :p:.

Movieman
09-20-2006, 06:22 PM
After the headaches trying the install, and this POS Actiontec router that Verizon brought..I think it overheats every 6-10 hours and needs a boot, and now MJ12 on both of my DX's, I'm still not sure on the settings..Tried a few and just not confident that it's set up right..
I'd call Bloody Sorcerer, but he might give me the wrong settings intentionally!:D
I'm feeling in a mood for some pie..cherry might be good!:rolleyes:

Movieman
09-27-2006, 07:22 AM
After a week of trying to troubleshoot a router, I find out that it's MJ12 creating the issue. I had MJ12 installed on 2 machines with T3 settings( or slower) and it was overheating the router to the point I'd lose conectivity.
I tried last night leaving MJ12 off and no probelms..
This is weird, but then again I've never had this kind of connection.
My gut tells me it's just a POS cheap router BUT can't get my Netgear RT314 to work with FIOS..
Any ideas?

WesM63
09-27-2006, 07:30 AM
Cisco PIX 501 ;)

[XC] Duc
09-27-2006, 08:31 AM
After a week of trying to troubleshoot a router, I find out that it's MJ12 creating the issue. I had MJ12 installed on 2 machines with T3 settings( or slower) and it was overheating the router to the point I'd lose conectivity.
My gut tells me it's just a POS cheap router BUT can't get my Netgear RT314 to work with FIOS..
Any ideas?

Put some fans and/or heatsinks on the router?:D

Movieman
09-27-2006, 08:37 AM
or maybe keep it in my freezer!

Movieman
09-27-2006, 08:39 AM

Cisco PIX 501 ;)
If the name Cisco is on it it's more than I can afford!
And I wonder why my Netgear RT314 won't work with this FIOS?:confused:

Martijn
09-27-2006, 08:45 AM
Any ideas?
I had the same trouble with my old W-LAN router, it overheated as well. There was a tiny sink on one of the chips, and my thermal probe said the sink was 110 degrees CELCIUS :eek:... I put an old sink from my Radeon 9200 on it, and never had the problems afterwards :)

WesM63
09-27-2006, 09:01 AM

If the name Cisco is on it it's more than I can afford!
And I wonder why my Netgear RT314 won't work with this FIOS?:confused:

Bah, a 501 is only a few hundered $$.

Can you get any other router to work with FIOS?

Try cloning the MAC address of the one they gave you (working one) to the RT314.

[XC] riptide
09-27-2006, 09:08 AM
Or in the Skip! [US: read Dumspter :rolleyes: ] hey MM, whats the chance you could set up a smoothwall with an old P2/P3.? Would that replace the router? You say you have an old P3 700 DX?? Thats would make an ANIMAL smoothwall! You'd get some serious ownage out of your FIOS!

WesM63
09-27-2006, 09:37 AM
Riptide,
I think that would be overkill. I'm sure MM has some 486's laying around.. if not i'm sure he could get NJKID to donate one ;)

Movieman
09-27-2006, 09:59 AM
Here's the issue with using the DX700 as a router: electrical cost..That's why I pulled it and retired it from Rosetta a couple months back.
Electric is just a killer here at .145 cents per kilowatt hour..
Doing what I can to cut it down..
and as to smoothwall router, I'll be honest, clueless as to setting one up and don't even know if it would work with FIOS.My Netgear RT314 wouldn't.

WesM63
09-27-2006, 12:12 PM
Dave,
Did you try cloning the MAC address of the router they provided you with to the Netgear of yours?

I know when I had wireless they only allowed 1 mac address behind the bridge. If you changed that, say a PC or Router, you had to call them. I finally just cloned the new Linksys router to the old one's MAC that had died.

I'm curious if Verizon is doing that or whats going on. Can you plug in just 1 pc directly to the outside line? (like take the ethernet cable that plugs into the router and plug it into your pc) Does the net work if you do it that way?

Movieman
09-27-2006, 12:24 PM
Dave,
Did you try cloning the MAC address of the router they provided you with to the Netgear of yours?

I know when I had wireless they only allowed 1 mac address behind the bridge. If you changed that, say a PC or Router, you had to call them. I finally just cloned the new Linksys router to the old one's MAC that had died.

I'm curious if Verizon is doing that or whats going on. Can you plug in just 1 pc directly to the outside line? (like take the ethernet cable that plugs into the router and plug it into your pc) Does the net work if you do it that way?
haven't tried cloning BUT I know you have to use a router and they say you need to use theirs as it has software "optimised"( that nastyword here) to work with FIOS..sounds like BS to me.

WesM63
09-27-2006, 01:17 PM
Does sound like BS.

Whats the Model # of the router? I'll do some digging and see what I can come up with.

Bloody_Sorcerer
09-27-2006, 04:07 PM
MM, i would never intentionally mislead you, after what you did for me that one time... ;)

Sounds to me like they've got you locked on by MAC address; if your netgear supports it, try a MAC address clone. Unfortunately, poking through my smoothwall settings, i don't see MAC address clone as an obvious option. any thoughts by other smoothwallers?

Also, I'm not too concerned about you eating my pie. I've been lazy on running MJ12 lately... I'm not happy with the actual work that I'm doing; as of late, my connection has been making a lot of timeouts for no obvious reason. I don't feel comfortable eating tons of pie without really doing comparable work.

Movieman
09-28-2006, 04:54 PM
been reading and thinking..Going to take the extra one they sent and mod it,change heatsink and install a 12V 80mm fan and see what happens.
nothing is ever easy..They hide the screws that holds the case together under the glued on rubber feet.
Of course I find this after 30 mins of trying to pry the thing apart with 2 screwdrivers!:D
Then theres 3 heatsinks on the boardbut one is where I felt the most heat being generated when it was running. Got a zalman thin 80mm fan that looks like it's thin enough to fit in and might add a smaller chipset fan at the other end sucking air in, the zalman will be set to suck out.

Frisch
09-28-2006, 11:35 PM
DON'T !!!

Scratch your head
Take care of your hair........instead

:D

Movieman
09-28-2006, 11:43 PM
DON'T !!!

Scratch your head
Take care of your hair........instead

:D
What hair?:D
Stopped being concerned about that 5 years ago.
I remember a day a few years back stepping out of the shower and the now ex shielded her eyes and said:" We're lucky the sun wasn't shining in this room or the glare off the top off your head would have blinded millions."
True story, one of the reasons she is now ex instead of current..:rolleyes:
May she rot, I mean rest in peace..

Movieman
09-29-2006, 10:07 AM
After more time than I hate to admit, the orginal Actiontec router is now modded and up and running.
Added a Zalman 80mm fan and controller sucking air out and sitting right over the main heat source and to the touch the case is maybe 40F cooler..
Pics later and will update..The key will be tonight when I let this pig fly on MJ12!:D

Frisch
09-29-2006, 10:16 AM
What !!!

I know turtles can, fly that is, it's a fact, but .... COME ON ..... PIGS

Drop the animal scifi movies Dave, they are giving the wrong information, and you, good heartet fisherman, eats that peace of .... like a kid in a candy store.

Well, i gotta fly..............

PS

Good luck on the pie..........

I think........

Do I.......hmmmmmm

Well......

No.....

Can make my mind

Cause.... we're a team

But

I'm a selfish Turtle

So......

It's

Hard

Really

It is

Ok

Eat it and fly like a ( can't believe i'm writing this ) PIG

Movieman
09-29-2006, 10:19 AM
What !!!

I know turtles can, fly that is, it's a fact, but .... COME ON ..... PIGS

Drop the animal scifi movies Dave, they are giving the wrong information, and you, good heartet fisherman, eats that peace of .... like a kid in a candy store.

Well, i gotta fly..............

PS

Good luck on the pie..........

I think........

Do I.......hmmmmmm

Well......

No.....

Can make my mind

Cause.... we're a team

But

I'm a selfish Turtle

So......

It's

Hard

Really

It is

Ok

Eat it and fly like a ( can't believe i'm writing this ) PIG
OINK!:rofl:

Movieman
10-05-2006, 03:46 AM
Just spent an hour on the phone with Verizon and my old reliable Netgear RT314 is back online!:banana:
Now to see if the dropping DHCP is a router issue or if it's somewhere else in the system.
Going to blast it today with 2 machines set as T3's:p:

WesM63
10-05-2006, 08:41 AM
Sweet, so they allowed you to use it? I read some info where other people where using Linksys routers so I knew there was a way!

Frisch
10-05-2006, 03:14 PM
Off Topic Dave, but i think you got one of my Turtles up your a$$.

Should I remove it for you, or are you ok.

Regards
Some secret Turtle.

Movieman
10-06-2006, 07:16 AM
Modded Actiontec Router:
First shot with imageshack so bear with me:

http://img319.imageshack.us/img319/2972/img0617od2.th.jpg (http://img319.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0617od2.jpg)
http://img431.imageshack.us/img431/2186/img0614uz0.th.jpg (http://img431.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0614uz0.jpg)
Zalman 80mm fan and fan controller..What is really needed is a 30mm fan on app 8v and that will cool it perfectly

[XC] DragonOrta
10-06-2006, 01:59 PM
You're still using DHCP? :slapass: Dave, it's easy to set it up yourself.

Martijn
10-07-2006, 03:01 AM
Modded Actiontec Router:
First shot with imageshack so bear with me:

http://img319.imageshack.us/img319/2972/img0617od2.th.jpg (http://img319.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0617od2.jpg)
http://img431.imageshack.us/img431/2186/img0614uz0.th.jpg (http://img431.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0614uz0.jpg)
Zalman 80mm fan and fan controller..What is really needed is a 30mm fan on app 8v and that will cool it perfectly
Dave, get yourself some decent router, that one looks aweful :D

Movieman
10-07-2006, 03:06 AM
Dave, get yourself some decent router, that one looks aweful :D
Yea, but it now runs 40F cooler than before!:D
Using my Netgear RT314 the past day. Stable but useless on MJ12, 1/2 the speed. Setting my DX700 up later today on WCG and will try and set that up as a smoothwall if I can figure it out.