PDA

View Full Version : CRC errors are killing me

dzidzius
09-18-2006, 12:14 PM
When I download something, that for example is splitted into multiple rar-archives, I sometimes get the CRC-error during the unpacking of the file or during the installation. Whatever the case is, I can't get away from that irritating error.

This is what I have done:

Memtest86 - Error-free 9 hours

Prime95 Torture Test Blend - 8 hours, 49 minutes

Windows CHKDSK (i don't know if i'd got any errors cus I didn't get any report..)

Partition Magic 8 Error check: 1 warning: 1602 - File table backup mismatch (what is that??)

This started when I bought two new Samsung 250GB and putted them into a RAID-array. Stuff that I copy TO the disks that were working before, work fine but downloaded, new stuff are often corrupted.

I also have installed a new NEC DVD_RW ND-3570A (if that nakes any differences)

WTF is the problem??
Dzi

Lostfaith
09-19-2006, 05:39 PM
what motherboard? try upgrading the bios and the driver for your eide/sata and raidcontroller.

also run Samsung's check/scan disk utility forerrors, and try running in the command prompt (dos window) "chkdsk c: /f" make sure to keep an eye to see if there's bad sectors.

tuborg2645
11-17-2008, 01:24 PM
To revieve an old thread, This is exacly my problem.
I get the CRC error a lot these days. but only on my samsung 750GB. I have an old SATA from when SATA drives where like "WOW HOW NEW", and it works like a charm. no CRC error, not even during large file handling.
( i belive that dzidzius is experiensing this problem when unpacking something like a DVD size rar or something. sinse it only happens to me on large files, installs, unpacks, etc. )

Anyone have any experience in this.
I gues something would suggest that the drive is dead, but throwing out an entirely new harddrive is not my typical way of enjoying myself, so options for repairs?

No test i'v run reveals any corruption.

Dead drive, or simply my foolishness. (btw, tried 3 difrent windows versions, xp 32bit home, xp 64bit pro, vista home premium 32bit, all throws same error in my face. )

Buckeye
11-17-2008, 01:32 PM
To revieve an old thread, This is exacly my problem.
I get the CRC error a lot these days. but only on my samsung 750GB. I have an old SATA from when SATA drives where like "WOW HOW NEW", and it works like a charm. no CRC error, not even during large file handling.
( i belive that dzidzius is experiensing this problem when unpacking something like a DVD size rar or something. sinse it only happens to me on large files, installs, unpacks, etc. )

Anyone have any experience in this.
I gues something would suggest that the drive is dead, but throwing out an entirely new harddrive is not my typical way of enjoying myself, so options for repairs?

No test i'v run reveals any corruption.

Dead drive, or simply my foolishness. (btw, tried 3 difrent windows versions, xp 32bit home, xp 64bit pro, vista home premium 32bit, all throws same error in my face. )

Just a thought here. Try unpacking the file on the desktop and not imbedded in folders. I ran into problems like this when I download ISO's from MSDN. It had something to do with really long file names.

EniGmA1987
11-17-2008, 03:07 PM
A long while back I started getting CRC errors like crazy with RAR and Zip files. Eventually I just reinstalled XP and did a full format of the drive and I haven't ever had a CRC error since. I ran tons of tests and nothing ever showed up, but the errors were still there nonetheless. If all else fails and you cant find a solution, reinstall Windows and see if the problem goes away.

tuborg2645
11-18-2008, 12:20 AM
Well, thank you, but.

Just a thought here. Try unpacking the file on the desktop and not imbedded in folders. I ran into problems like this when I download ISO's from MSDN. It had something to do with really long file names.
when in doubt, i allways unpack to the root directory, so that is not really an issue.

A long while back I started getting CRC errors like crazy with RAR and Zip files. Eventually I just reinstalled XP and did a full format of the drive and I haven't ever had a CRC error since. I ran tons of tests and nothing ever showed up, but the errors were still there nonetheless. If all else fails and you cant find a solution, reinstall Windows and see if the problem goes away.
Tryed 3 different systems, thereby formatting the system 3 times, ergo, failing a windows install 3 times in a row, would be near to impossible.

If it really is the OS that is corrupt, then it might be my optical drive thats defect.
I'll try to install a new os soon anyway, so i'll take it as it comes. going to install the 120 day version of the windows 2008 server. should run nice an stable.

mak1skav
11-18-2008, 01:52 AM
I have exactly the same problem with CRC errors when i tried too unzip files and it was because of the high MHz that i had the PCI in my bios. I think though that maybe the memory begins to have problems.

tuborg2645
12-03-2008, 05:08 AM
I have exactly the same problem with CRC errors when i tried too unzip files and it was because of the high MHz that i had the PCI in my bios. I think though that maybe the memory begins to have problems.

I was thinking the same thing,,, memory prob's... but ¤#"(¤.. they are ˝year old dominator's...
Well, solved it by running my entire system @default configs..