PDA

View Full Version : Swiftech MCR220 or PA120.2

bito
09-18-2006, 02:29 AM
What gains would i see if i swap the MCR220 to a PA120.2.....
i.e. could i use quieter fans; or will i see lower temps for same cfm fans etc.

My proposed setup, with either of the above rads:

Swiftech Apogee; MCW60 (GPU) ans possibly MCW20 (Chipset) with a DDC Plus/Alphacool top.

Fans will be low speed, with external mount for rad.

3/8" tubing.....possibly 1/2" if possible.

Thanks

septim
09-18-2006, 04:08 AM
here is a good read:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=77260
we could see the PA go head to head with some other Rads comparable to a swiftech MCR rad...

if space inside your pc case is not an issue
or if you have money to spare
and if you want a rad that is future proof
then go ahead and indulge in a thermochill PA radiator...

couple this with some quiet yate loon 47 CFM fans and your set...
or go with some yate loon 70 CFM ers....
and as cathar mentions in another thread here, a PA is good for until 130 CFM, anything above 130 is not benefitting a PA rad setup...
Also suggested using a rheobus fan controller to tone down that fan

for tubing we highly recommend 7/16 ID tubing with 5/8 OD or again if you dont mind the bulky 1/2 ID 3/4 OD tubing then go for it...

my personal setup some SFlex-F 1600RPM at 7volts on my PA120.2 is pretty efficient enough for me.
(also have some Yates on the way for backup, but will probably use the SFlex or some Sanyo Denki San Ace 38mm 103 CFM fans
that i have in stock cause it gets pretty hot here in the philippines that a 47CFM might not be able to handle)

andersson.j
09-18-2006, 06:52 AM
A ThermoChill is 1/3 as restrictive as a Swiftech so you'd get a slightly higher flow which makes your blocks perform slightly better. But since the DDC-2 is such a strong pump it won't have any troubles handling Apogee, MCW60 and MCW30 which aren't very restrictive blocks so the increased performance from higher flow will be very small.

Not only are ThermoChill rads less restrictive, they cool the water better than any other rad. In radicals test the difference in water temp between Swiftech and ThermoChill were under 1.5 degrees (which doesn't translate to 1.5 degrees in core temp).

I'd guesstimate that upgrading from Swiftech to ThermoChill in the best case scenario would give you a couple of degrees lower core temp or the same temps as before but with 300RPM lower fan speed.

Herc130
09-18-2006, 08:46 AM
Same boat, was all set to go all PA rads, but just got a "sorry not in stock" email for the order I had placed for a PA 120.3 . However, they said the two PA 120.2's I ordered were in stock and I assume are getting ready to be shipped.

I was planning on:

Pump 1-->CPU--->NB--->Pa 120.3--->T-Line--->Pump 2--->GPUs--->two Pa120.2--->micro res--->

Now to figure out if I wait on getting the PA 120.3 or just go with a different rad :( . Companies that sell water cooling gear leaves alot to be desired when it comes to figuring out their stock on hand. Out of 6 orders I placed recently, 4 of them listed having the stuff I wanted on hand, when they did not. Of course they inform me of this after charging my credit card . AND THEN, to my amazment, their site still list all those stuff as being in! Even though they tell me they have no idea when they are getting a shipment. That is just wrong.

Are Primochill rads the same ones as the Swiftech quite series rads? Those rads aer pretty hefty...from pics, looks like a one off of thermochills and they are rated for low CFM fans as well. Haven't found any test comparing them to thermochills yet, just the...well, thermochill compares like this to this and that one you are asking about is probably like this, so maybe it comes out like that..yah, right.

Levish
09-18-2006, 12:41 PM
OP is in the UK so i think financially the PA compared to the MCR would be about the same or close in which case i'd say without a doubt PA

[XC] leviathan18
09-18-2006, 01:20 PM
herc buy from petras they are awesome

SiGfever
09-18-2006, 02:29 PM
What gains would i see if i swap the MCR220 to a PA120.2.....
i.e. could i use quieter fans; or will i see lower temps for same cfm fans etc.

My proposed setup, with either of the above rads:

Swiftech Apogee; MCW60 (GPU) ans possibly MCW20 (Chipset) with a DDC Plus/Alphacool top.

Fans will be low speed, with external mount for rad.

3/8" tubing.....possibly 1/2" if possible.

Thanks
Yes and Yes. :D