PDA

View Full Version : Rammie?

[XC] hipno650
09-16-2006, 09:31 PM
in the stats page it shows you as retired?:confused: can some one explain!

Kobalt
09-17-2006, 02:34 PM
Hes still submitting results so I dont know...last submission was 4 hours ago.

RAMMIE
09-17-2006, 03:37 PM
I asked a ? and was not answered.I do this for personal reasons and if the TEAM leadership or members cannot satisfy my questions then they don't deserve my contribution.I was totally soured on the direction this team took at Rosetta and I would rather not be part of that kind of BS again.
As you noticed I will crunch solo or team.
Crunch on because that is what matters in the big picture.

Movieman
09-17-2006, 03:54 PM
Good Luck to you and I'm glad to see that your still on the project as your right, that is what counts.

Haltech
09-17-2006, 06:10 PM
I asked a ? and was not answered.I do this for personal reasons and if the TEAM leadership or members cannot satisfy my questions then they don't deserve my contribution.I was totally soured on the direction this team took at Rosetta and I would rather not be part of that kind of BS again.

Oh give me a break, you sound like a little kid for christ sakes!

"My questions werent answered in a timely fashion or the way i expected" < GIANT EYEROLL >

I dont want to be associated with your bs or how you talk about THIS team. Good way to get people on your side bud.

itznfb
09-17-2006, 06:32 PM
gotta love Haltech :D

[XC] hipno650
09-17-2006, 07:45 PM
gotta love Haltech :D

so very true:rofl: i respect his desision but that by no means that i agree with it:(

[XC] leviathan18
09-17-2006, 08:02 PM

so you are saying you are leaving this team becuase you didnt have an answer.... and BS in rosetta.... i think if you cant stand that you better be off this team for real ive been here quite a long time just reading then decided to join and now i have just 1 year as a member and i can tell you ive asked many things that remain unaswered and you know what im still here crunching for XS why? because they gave me 1000 times more info and i think we did the right thing at rosetta... if you dont want to be with us please get a better excuse

[XC] riptide
09-17-2006, 09:26 PM
Rammie. I ask questions sometimes and they ain't answered! How about perseveering a bit with the question. You might have to shout, spit and hiss at people first, but at least you'll get a reaction and hopefully an answer. (OR you might even have to give a fake :banana::banana::banana::banana: link to get attention. Isn't that right Dave? Dirdy old man---- 'Debbie does a particle beam" still laughing at that one man;) :D )

Movieman
09-18-2006, 09:00 AM
Here's where I think the issue is: Rammie is a VERY serious person.
He does this thinking ahead that it might help his kids or grand kids.
That's an excellent reason to do DC. I have 2 kids of my own so I understand where he's coming from.
I think he sees the banter here and the teasing and the competitions as drawing people who are just into the points.
I can understand how it can look that way to people who don't know us well.
It's hard to tell a guy that we do this to help science projects when he sees us talking about "stomping the DPC" or "blowing by Free DC"..
What I think he missed is that we do what we do and we try and mix in some fun with it. The 2 can go together.
Rammie: Follow your heart and do what you think is best.

itznfb
09-18-2006, 09:26 AM
there is absolutely no problem with us wanting to be the best in everything we do. some may consider a complex, i consider it motivation. from what i gather; XS chooses its project based on the goals of the project, and then we obviously want to be at the top of the project. whether we actually make it or not is less relavant than what we are helping to accomplish.

meshmesh
09-18-2006, 11:03 AM
well put.

[XC]melymel
09-18-2006, 11:18 AM
Why do people whinge that we set out to be number 1 in a project? :shrug: going for number 1 in a project gives us motivation and makes it fun for us to waste money on helping science. Being number 1 means we are giving more moeny,power and aid to a project and it's science than everyone else... is that not a good thing? Also the argument that we don't care about the science :bs:. Granted i'm a stats whore but i would never recommend the team devote the power towards a math project or other IMO worthless project and all projects the team has seriously devoted power too are medical projects, if all we wanted was number 1 and points we would run SETI we could even used opti's!

This isn't entirely directed at you RAMMIE it's too all those that play those reasons against us. :toast:

Got Chow
09-18-2006, 12:05 PM
I don't think it's a problem that XS wants to be #1 in the project. Like you said, I think it's a great thing to try and accomplish especially when it means more results returned for the sake of science. However, when all the focus in the discussions is about points instead of the science, then it's easy for others to attack XS that all they care about is stats and not the science.

I don't believe that there are hundreds or thousands of people who are just running these projects who only care about stats... They are so superficial anyway and there is no true reward out of it apart from bragging rights.

Now, if there was not a points system and a competitive spirit, I think there would be a lot less crunching going on. I see the points and team system as a manipulative system of humans as competitive beings, and for the most part it works great! And it is typically a great thing, except for the problems it can cause when teams rub with some friction. In the end though, whichever team you may be with (I'm not on the XS team right now, but will give a lending hand later as they try to take out EasyNews :D), everyone is crunching data for a great cause. Heck, with that alone, all of us crunchers are a step above the rest already! ;)

All in all, I say we could all take a rest from the points/quorum/team/Dargorath issue(s) and just OC some more. :)

[XC] hipno650
09-18-2006, 02:56 PM
Here's where I think the issue is: Rammie is a VERY serious person.
He does this thinking ahead that it might help his kids or grand kids.
That's an excellent reason to do DC. I have 2 kids of my own so I understand where he's coming from.
I think he sees the banter here and the teasing and the competitions as drawing people who are just into the points.
I can understand how it can look that way to people who don't know us well.
It's hard to tell a guy that we do this to help science projects when he sees us talking about "stomping the DPC" or "blowing by Free DC"..
What I think he missed is that we do what we do and we try and mix in some fun with it. The 2 can go together.
Rammie: Follow your heart and do what you think is best.

well put!!!!

and if we wanted to have the best stats we would start a game team and demolish at that but insted we chose science!!!!!!! if this was a game team i would not be here! also IF we were doing for the stats then it does no harm cuz we are still helping sci. however that is not the case and we wan't to do it for the science!!!!!!! also in wanting to be number one we draw more people to the science and push each other harder to get the max science done as possible!!!

Max Tractor
09-18-2006, 03:43 PM
Being honest, I require my daily point fix, personally speaking without points it would be like installing a 200gb game without a progress bar

rob725
09-18-2006, 04:42 PM
Being honest, I require my daily point fix, personally speaking without points it would be like installing a 200gb game without a progress bar

I agree. Watching a computer crunch without stats would be like watching a computer that's, well, not crunching.

Jose
09-19-2006, 06:56 PM
I think the best answer to the issue of whether we taunt other teams or not and reduce the crunching for science to a joke is given by the members of the cows, dc and other teams that realize that there is a kind a camaraderie among the the crunching communities and taunt back and joke back at us.

Just read their posts and even their welcoming us into the projects.. I may taunt a cow or two, but I do respect them , ditto for Free DC, Easy News , Teddies and many others....

We are rowdy , we are happy we can use the computing skills and tools we have for good. We celebrate each other.

Hey I promise I wont say anything bad abount Boinc Synergy when we apss the over...:)

RAMMIE
09-20-2006, 08:31 PM
Oh give me a break, you sound like a little kid for christ sakes!

"My questions werent answered in a timely fashion or the way i expected" < GIANT EYEROLL >

I dont want to be associated with your bs or how you talk about THIS team. Good way to get people on your side bud.

Thank you! You show the direction of your team.You probably still take little kid's milk money.Par for the course for a Southern California cop.

Vapor
09-20-2006, 08:52 PM
Now now....just cause Haltech unreasonably flames you doesn't mean you need to dish one back at him.

RAMMIE...you made the right decision. Either decision would have been right (you chose the one I'm privy to :p: ) but as long as you're still doing it for a legitimate reason, that's what counts.

v0dka
09-20-2006, 10:32 PM
Thank you! You show the direction of your team.

Sou basically you still call us a bunch of unsympathetic points whores?

If taht's the case than you couldnt have ben more mistaken, I've never seen a group of more or less strangers buy computers for eachother, send around packs of meat and wooden shoes. Not to mention all the friendly support and help you find around here on almost any subject.

I say goodbye and I'll leave my negative comments for myself cause I dont want to give you a stick to beat us with.

Haltech
09-21-2006, 05:15 PM
Thank you! You show the direction of your team.You probably still take little kid's milk money.Par for the course for a Southern California cop.

You should get your information correct before you decide to make assumptions...

Haltech
09-21-2006, 05:15 PM
Now now....just cause Haltech unreasonably flames you doesn't mean you need to dish one back at him.

RAMMIE...you made the right decision. Either decision would have been right (you chose the one I'm privy to :p: ) but as long as you're still doing it for a legitimate reason, that's what counts.

I see you still lack your XS local diplomacy...