PDA

View Full Version : Do you think this would be overkill?

hedge
04-15-2003, 07:42 AM
I came up with kind of a silly thought. We all know that stacking pelts, while not very effective, can help lower then temps. But the problem then arises of getting rid of all of that heat that two or more pelts (226 watt pelts put out a ton of heat on their own). Sure we can chill the water, but what about cooling the pelt with a phase change system? Using very cold temperature like -40 C to cool the hot side of the pelt and then in theory the cold side should get even colder, right?

hedge

gtcrispy
04-15-2003, 07:58 AM
I believe this has already done. I saw it on a different forum. I do not think it worked good.

KnightElite
04-15-2003, 08:12 AM
That is done quite frequently with chilled water cooling the hotside of a TEC. The water is often chilled with phase change equipment.

As to sticking a TEC under a prometeia or something like that, it wouldn't work unless you had a really beefy phase change system, which would probably need to be custom built.

charlie
04-15-2003, 06:46 PM
I don't think pelts work that well when SUPER cooled. I used -15C coolant on mine and got the same temps that I get with 2C water!
C

hedge
04-16-2003, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by charlie
I don't think pelts work that well when SUPER cooled. I used -15C coolant on mine and got the same temps that I get with 2C water!
C

That is what I was wondering about. Besides all of the effort you would have to go through to mount a phase change on a pelt, I wondered if the temperatures would really drop significantly or if there is a max to what the pelt is capable of. Thanks for the replies.

hedge

charlie
04-16-2003, 01:06 PM
Also,
I saw posted somewhere, a guy said his pelt was able to handle 130w of heat and maintain a -5C Delta rate under coolant temp.
Meaning with his cpu's heat processed, the pelt would cool it's cold side to -5C of the coolant inside. Meaning the "cold plate" might be 10C if the coolant is 15C, but the cpu temp would be more like 15C-20C. Look even Prometeia's don't maintain the cpu at -30C! The load temps on a Prommy are like 5-10C.
C

gtcrispy
04-16-2003, 01:59 PM
Mine is somewhere around this. The only thing is, my temps are based off the socket probe which isn't gonna be accurate but my heatout put is right around 130W and depending on ambient the socket probe shows 7-11C. This is just doing normal tasks so nothing too hard on the cpu.

]JR[
04-16-2003, 11:44 PM
Tecs dont work below about -20 hotside temps, hence if you look at commercial tec stacks they pump < 3watts and have dT's of around 120-130, although you cant get much below -50 regardless of hotside temp.

Ive seen a number of people report better temps with just chilled water (-20 or so) than using chilled water to chill a tec.

]JR[

hedge
04-18-2003, 10:38 AM
hmm

If chilled water could a a decent job of cooling without a pelt. Then that might be the way to go simply because there will be less power demand and junk around.

hedge

PimpJack
04-20-2003, 10:04 AM
When I was testing my swiftech 226 wat pelt in free air the coldside went down to -23c with air cooled water. When I slapped on another 226w pelt with my hand (towel in between pelt and fingers of course) on the coldplate the temp dropped to below -30c and within minuits the first pelt thawed and overall temp went up to -13c... So a stack is definately a waste. Actually I think pelt cooling todays processors is a bad idea as well. With my current setup my room temp increases by almost 6c when the 226w pelt is running and my 2100+ at 2.03 hits an all out max load temp of 41c and idles at 21c... Pelts are not enough anymore. Great for my radeon though.

charlie
05-22-2003, 07:38 PM
How's the pyramid ks26x? for a 226w
LIke 6-15v ADJUSTABLE
22a constant
25a peak
C