PDA

View Full Version : Thermal grease Question

cybertec69
09-16-2006, 08:11 AM
Arctic Silver 5, or Zalman ZS-STG1 Super Thermal Grease.

septim
09-16-2006, 08:40 AM
still AS5...

SiGfever
09-16-2006, 09:43 AM
AS5. :fact:

Kain XS
09-16-2006, 01:04 PM
Search on the forums and you will find some (2 o 3 maybe) threads about this.

This is a difficult question and depends on how much are you willing to spend, and if you think 1 o2 degreesC worth 4 or 5 dollars more.

Here a Review:
http://modslabs.com/modules/articles/article.php?id=5

scwam
09-16-2006, 04:43 PM
I wonder if AS5 can be used on a Chipped Core? I have an Opty 170 that has 2 corners chipped but still works properly. Currently I'm using the white alumina grease w/no issue. i'm wondering if there is a conductivity exposed in those 2 chips and AS5 would short my chip in this case. I guess there is no way of know if I actually exposed the circuitry on the core.

DVL73
09-16-2006, 05:09 PM
I've heard that Coollaboratory Liquid Pro is doing wonders, but just make sure that it doesn't come in the contact with aluminium. Application and removal can be tricky too (as it's liquid metal). No personal experience with this, though.

ReD.SkY
09-16-2006, 06:33 PM
I've heard that Coollaboratory Liquid Pro is doing wonders, but just make sure that it doesn't come in the contact with aluminium. Application and removal can be tricky too (as it's liquid metal). No personal experience with this, though.

NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER use Coollabs ... (http://xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=111663&highlight=coolabs+hardcore)

thunderstruck!
09-16-2006, 06:51 PM
Can you be a littler more clear Red.Sky?

DVL73
09-16-2006, 07:15 PM
NEVER NEVER NEVER ... and forever never
OK OK ... point taken :)

Similar thing happened to me also with AS5, long ago. CPU was simply glued to the heatsink and later investigation proved that thick coat of the AS5 caused the problem. The technique and amount of the thermal paste applied are greatly affecting the severity of such problems and usually it's just the surface tension between the two surfaces. (worse at cold). Usually sharp twist left and right will detach the CPU properly and you have to choose the time when to do this (best option is while CPU is still hot).

Anyhow, as you got me to think and research, I found this interesting review:

Battle of the Goooop! (http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews.php?type=3&id=87&page=1&desc=battle_of_the_goop_-_thermal_paste_comparison)

Reviewer didn't mentioned the problems like yours, but 6*C better than AS5 :eek: Is he for real ?

tommrussell
09-16-2006, 07:33 PM
NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER use Coollabs ... (http://xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=111663&highlight=coolabs+hardcore)

so red whats your point .................................................J/K

james111
09-17-2006, 01:20 AM
Arctic Silver 5, or Zalman ZS-STG1 Super Thermal Grease.
Well out of those... AS5 for sure.

DVL73
09-17-2006, 03:18 AM
ReD.SkY is trying to say that he had traumatic experience with Coollaboratory Liquid Pro (there is a link to his thread). However, I would like to know if his case is isolated or is this general issue - as the review I posted above is quite intriguing.

septim
09-17-2006, 05:56 AM
well his cpu was like stuck on the mobo forever when he used coolLab product...
had to scalpel/blade/other methods not really recommended to part his cpu and block/sink...