PDA

View Full Version : Wow... Look at this!!!

Martijn
09-15-2006, 01:11 PM
I send WCG an email a few days ago, on the optimized client issue. Let me quote the mail over here:

Hello,

XtremeSystems has recently left Rosetta@Home and joined the WCG project. We left from Rosetta because we were called cheaters. The local staff did nothing about it. There had been many flame wars in which we participated. We later realized that it had been a wrong movement, as a lot of people from the community joined against us. I want to say something very important over here: we definitely aren't cheaters, we are just a bunch of dedicated, crazy overclockers. We care about the science being done, and that is why we chose WCG as our next project.

As we were moving on to this project, people from Rosetta contacted others at WCG, telling them about 'why we were cheaters'. Yet again a flame war has started at your forums, in the general chat area. We decided not to react to any flames in the thread, though. We are a dedicated team and we won't get ourselves being called cheaters again, as is happening now in this thread (read from page 3 on):

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread?thread=8594&offset=0

Because we are so dedicated, we are using the optimized cruncher files. It modifies the benchmark used by the boinc client (by using the SSE/SSE2 instruction sets, depending on what CPU you are running). In our opinion it justifies the difference between Intel and AMD systems (as BOINC prefers AMD cpus). If you consider this cheating, we are willing not to use them, as long as there is a clear statement at your forums (or anywhere else on your site) where we can read this. If you do not want us (and anyone else) to use them, make this clear and we will delete them straight away.

Our goal is to get to the first place in your project, and we don't want to be called cheaters on the way getting there. As for now, there has never ever been any project in which we weren't able to get to first place when we wanted to. We have the firepower to do that. Our greatest member still has to get to this project (he had a break after leaving Rosetta), and he had an average output higher than that of the team in second place. At the moment, we are having an output of about 100000 credits a day (boinc credit). We used to have a steady output of more than 500000 credits per day at Rosetta (yes, that's half a million). This means, that if we can get to full throttle, which we definitely will if we stay, we can achieve 4 million WCG credits per day. We are glad to help your project, but if we don't know whether we are allowed to use optimised clients and are being called cheaters, we can still leave your project, as we haven't yet done much work. When we left Rosetta, we were begged by the project administrator to please come back. We didn't. Please don't make us decide to leave to another project again.

We really like your project and the science being done, but if we can't crunch because of members calling us cheaters and nothing is done about it, I'm afraid to say we'll probably leave. I therefore ask you to take appropriate action by either removing the thread, banning the members that are flaming and by officially stating whether optimized clients are allowed. If you want more info on them, please contact me or any other members of the team.

You don't want to lose this team, as what happened at Rosetta. You have not yet seen nothing of what this team is capable of. I and every other member of my team hopes that you will take appropriate actions.

Sincerely,
Martijn Kruit from XS (XS_Martijn)

And I got a reply!! :woot:

Martijn,

Movieman has also contacted us and I will copy to you what I sent to him
below. Let me know if you have additional questions. We have responded in
the forums as well and the issue appears to have died down.

I have to ask - you plan to become #1? Easynews is an awfully big team :-)
You would make my year if you guys could overtake Easynews.

Let me know if you have additional questions beyond what is below.

"First, I would like to thank you and your team for joining World Community
Grid. You have added a lot of power to our research and we sincerely
appreciate it.

Second - as I believe you and your team appear to agree, we believe that
distributed computing is about the science. The competition is fun, sparks
enthusiasm and helps maintain interest but it is secondary to the science.

Having said that let me explain something about World Community Grid that
you may already know, but is necessary for what I will write below. World
Community Grid does not run any science of its own. On our website we
state: "World Community Grid is making technology available only to public
and not-for-profit organizations to use in humanitarian research that might
otherwise not be completed due to the high cost of the computer
infrastructure required in the absence of a public grid. As part of our
commitment to advancing human welfare, all results will be in the public
domain and made public to the global research community. " We accept
applications from scientists who wish to run their research on this grid.
You can read more about this process here:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/projects_showcase/viewSubmitAProposal.do

Once a project is selected we help modify the science application to be
grid enabled, do security audits of the applications (and maintain the
versions we run in our own source code libraries to ensure only changes
that we authorize/approve get implemented), conduct testing of the
application and develop processes for putting work on the grid and
delivering results back to the scientists. We also are the only ones who
have access to the servers that distribute the work and run the website.
In essence, we are here to make sure that the members can trust that the
science being run is valid and safe. We are also here to be a resource
that the scientific community can tap to run research that would otherwise
be infeasible for them to perform.

I mention all of this because one of the things we won't be doing is
working to fully optimize each science application to take advantage of the
latest performance optimizations on new chips. The reason that we won't be
doing this is practical. Because of our mission, many of the projects we
run will have a limited amount of work. The time it takes to fully
optimize the application will not be proportional to the length of time the
project will run. This is very different then on something like Seti@Home
where they run a couple of applications for many years. In that case it
does make sense to spend the time to get every last bit of performance out
of the processors and deal with the complexities of validation from
different platforms. Additionally, the time it would take us to fully
optimize and test the science application on the different chip
architectures is time that we don't spend working on adding the next
project. We have chosen to make sure that we keep a steady stream of new
projects coming into World Community Grid so that we have work for our
members to run when our current projects end. This stream of new projects
coming on-line and other projects finishing is something that is different
about us from other DC projects and it impacts how we approach things.

One of the things that we have been able to do is that we use homogenous
redundancy at the operating system level (i.e. workunits are only sent to
the same OS (except for Mac where we have to differentiate between Intel
and PPC)). At this level and with the amount of chip optimization we have
done all results return are identical. This allows us to have high
confidence in the results and reduces the complexity of testing which in
turn allows us to board more projects and run more research.

We are very interested in making sure that members are contributing
effectively - even if we are not able to fully optimize the applications
for their computer. For example, one thing we have done is that we have
done some work to increase the efficiency of the BOINC workunit
distribution system. You have come from Rosetta@Home where they not using
redundancy (they can confirm results on their own servers - we don't have
that luxury) so I'm not sure if you are aware of this or not. However,
projects such as Seti@Home and Einstein@Home send out four workunits and
then attempt to validate when they get three back. We have spent some time
changing the way the system works so that we only send out three and then
validate when we get three back. We had to do some changes to ensure that
workunits would still be validated within a timely basis (all workunits are
validated within in a few days and all are validated within two weeks).
This change increased the efficiency of the grid by about 23% (I say this
to make sure that you understand that we do value our members computer
time). We have returned this code back to the BOINC community.

Now - how this relates to the optimized clients. We have no intention of
limiting what client anyone uses provided that it returns valid science
data. We also think that trying to define a 'fair' amount of credit is
very tricky and it can create ideological discussions that are difficult to
resolve. We have been using the 'stock' BOINC system so far and it has
served good enough. However, once large disparities between the claimed
credits for different hosts in the same workunit appear then there becomes
a need to make sure the credit is assigned fairly between different
workunits. This is what we have now started to do. We are discussing what
changes to make internally now. Additionally some of us will be at the
BOINC conference in Geneva next week and we will discuss with some of the
other project leads how they have responded to this. Once we have made due
consideration and spent some time examining what impact this will have we
will announce the changes, if any. Please feel free to add any input you
have especially since you have experienced this issue on other projects.
Our goal is to make the system both actually fair and perceived as fair.

thanks,
Kevin"

Thank you for participating.

lv_dicedealer
09-15-2006, 02:06 PM
Wow. I am impressed at the thoroughness of the response. I really get the impression that WCG actually cares about its supporters....

Got Chow
09-15-2006, 02:11 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again... WCG is the best place to crunch simply because of the support and attention you get from the admins there. As they grow, it will become more difficult for them. But it really is very impressive to see Kevin and the other WCG admins provide replies to e-mails and forum posts in a timely manner, and in a very professional manner as well.

splat00n
09-15-2006, 02:14 PM
um what is this all about, this contest?

[XC]melymel
09-15-2006, 02:15 PM
I think the big differance with the WCG and R@H staff is that wcg has beeen around a while and understand what the conrtibutors think like and want as opposed to rosetta where they had never dabbled in the DC game before and couldn't understand the significance of a few simple actions. :toast:.

meshmesh
09-15-2006, 02:23 PM
WCG is IBM's baby. What happens there reflects on it's public image. So, expect top notch professional relationship.

DAK1640
09-15-2006, 02:38 PM
I am hugely impressed, they start by thanking us for running their application. They seem to understand their supporters. I am glad to be a WCG contributor.:banana:

Jose
09-15-2006, 02:44 PM
I also like the way the dealt with the flaming very fast and very decisevely. They made sure to send the message that that type of foolishness was not going to be tolerated.

[XC] ruane
09-15-2006, 02:54 PM
It would feel to me that WCG is more about the science research behind this project, its just a good way to include a competition at the same time. With Rosetta, you would be lead to believe its just for the competition. WCG should stamp down on pathetic cheating like mods with the site to cause your score to be higher, but if youre using different patches to make it quicker, then thats better for the DC Project leaders to get more research done!

Ruan

RAMMIE
09-15-2006, 05:01 PM
I won't take this as permmision to run optimized clients.We are doing fine with standard client.Don't let anybody question our commitment.

Movieman
09-15-2006, 05:04 PM
I had written the staff at WCG a few days ago and asked if I could publish his letter here and just got an ok tonight. It's very close to what Martjm posted so i won't duplicate it. I did take the time to try and give him an idea of what we are all about and our goals.
I have to admit, it's like a breath of fresh air after the BS at Rosetta.
The letter I got back was also from Kevin and I will say they do seem to care and there's no BS. If they have something to say that they don't think you'll agree with, they don't :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:foot with it, they just say it straight out.
That I can respect.

um what is this all about, this contest?
It's all about having some fun and helping some science projects, all at the same time.
C'mon and join in. Easy to do and won't hurt a bit.

Haltech
09-15-2006, 05:24 PM
Deja Vu. I remember the same stuff being said about that :banana::banana::banana: Baker and his setup. I just hope in the long run, as we get deeper into this, nothing changes... Whats the word on Victor joining us Dave?

RAMMIE
09-15-2006, 05:31 PM
They love our contribution.
We're called cheaters.
They still love our contribution.
We're still called cheaters.
I ask my team members.
Will you play the lowest denominator?
Or full speed ahead,damn the torpedoes!?

[XC] riptide
09-15-2006, 05:34 PM
They love our contribution.
We're called cheaters.
They still love our contribution.
We're still called cheaters.
I ask my team members.
Will you play the lowest denominator?
Or full speed ahead,damn the torpedos!?
I like your sig Rammie!

RAMMIE
09-15-2006, 05:41 PM
:banana::banana::banana::banana: my sig.
What direction is this TEAM going?

Movieman
09-15-2006, 05:41 PM
Deja Vu. I remember the same stuff being said about that :banana::banana::banana: Baker and his setup. I just hope in the long run, as we get deeper into this, nothing changes... Whats the word on Victor joining us Dave?
I remember well. The difference I saw with these people at WCG is with the speed that they handled that guy Dagowhatever when he came at me( still can't figure that one out, I was being on my best behaviour) and the straight talk in their replies. Baker spoke but never said anything. Just fluff and nice political speeches..
As to Victor, I haven't heard anything one way or the other.
Yes, I'd love to see him in with us on this, with one machine or a 100, doesn't matter..I just miss the guy. A lot of people see DDTUNG with the awesome farm..I see a guy thats got a good mind and a good heart and that's what I miss.
Victor: If your reading this, That's not BS and it isn't designed to snow you into coming along with us. You as much as anything else symbolize what XS is all about and I don't care how well we are doing, it just isn't the same without you..and I mean YOU, not your machines..You can stick one of those office Dells on that that's all I have to see.;)
Cripes, I think if the competitors just saw DDTUNG on the XS team listing they'd run and hide!
And if that doesn't convince you, then try this:
You said once and I quote:
"If I can catch PY222 then XS can catch Free DC"
You were right on both parts of that quote even though when you said it, it looked impossible to do.
There is a bigger challenge here: EasyNews..Makes catching Free DC in Rosetta look like a cakewalk.You want something to shoot for, there it is.

[XC] leviathan18
09-15-2006, 06:06 PM
at the end of rosetta we had so much fire power that anything was possible.. here we are far behind in production next to easynews but i know we could pass them in the dailys we need a little bit more time to get used to this project and to stomp it

RAMMIE
09-15-2006, 06:14 PM
I remember well. The difference I saw with these people at WCG is with the speed that they handled that guy Dagowhatever when he came at me( still can't figure that one out, I was being on my best behaviour) and the straight talk in their replies. Baker spoke but never said anything. Just fluff and nice political speeches..
As to Victor, I haven't heard anything one way or the other.
Yes, I'd love to see him in with us on this, with one machine or a 100, doesn't matter..I just miss the guy. A lot of people see DDTUNG with the awesome farm..I see a guy thats got a good mind and a good heart and that's what I miss.
Victor: If your reading this, That's not BS and it isn't designed to snow you into coming along with us. You as much as anything else symbolize what XS is all about and I don't care how well we are doing, it just isn't the same without you..and I mean YOU, not your machines..[You can stick one of those office Dells on that that's all I have to see.;)
Cripes, I think if the competitors just saw DDTUNG on the XS team listing they'd run and hide!
And if that doesn't convince you, then try this:
You said once and I quote:
"If I can catch PY222 then XS can catch Free DC"
You were right on both parts of that quote even though when you said it, it looked impossible to do.
There is a bigger challenge here: EasyNews..Makes catching Free DC in Rosetta look like a cakewalk.You want something to shoot for, there it is.

Bis mine.
You see ulterior motives.You see competitors even though you confess that the points don't matter.
I see Victor as a successful buisinessman who puts his heart where he thinks it belongs.

STEvil
09-15-2006, 09:33 PM
Of course we see competitors. If you do not compete to perform well you have poor efficiency.

Proficiency (work performed for time consumed) is the key value when you want to beat a competitor, and thus is what you should shoot for when taking on a task.

Martijn
09-15-2006, 10:21 PM
Of course we see competitors. If you do not compete to perform well you have poor efficiency.

Proficiency (work performed for time consumed) is the key value when you want to beat a competitor, and thus is what you should shoot for when taking on a task.
Well, ever had a look on Easynews' daily CPU time? They must be having nothing but 486's over there :rofl:

meshmesh
09-15-2006, 11:02 PM
Well, ever had a look on Easynews' daily CPU time? They must be having nothing but 486's over there :rofl:

Yeh, but thousands of them.

Question: what can we do to get a few thousands of those 486s ?
EN is offering them maybe $1.0 a month (won't even cover electric bill) but they are taking it. What can we do to convince a thousand XS members to crunch for WCG?

MM has suggested mass emails etc.. ealier in another thread. I wonder how it is going. Each day passes, and EN increases the gap by another 3.5M UD credits !

brot
09-16-2006, 05:07 AM
:) very cool to see that our work is appreciated. And it looks like they like our idea of beeing nr 1

Martijn
09-16-2006, 06:14 AM
:) very cool to see that our work is appreciated. And it looks like they like our idea of beeing nr 1
Yeah, they seem to be very interested in what we can bring :D

Firechicken
09-16-2006, 08:08 AM
Big thing here to note is that WCG acts like an agent of sorts to go ahead and creat a smooth fair fun and even competitive order, in which to organize all kinds of long and short term projects into the grid. As you all well know I'm sure.
Thinking on that one would think that in order to keep thier reputation they would have to have first off 1. GOOD People skills and communication as they are showing with the way they are responding to our issues at the grid.

You know what I'm not even going to go on about other things you all know already, #1 I think will prove to be the biggest strength any buisness or organization no matter how you look at it, I mean if I walked up and slaped someone in the face they would either be pissed react in a way most would or stand there thinking what in the hell did you do that for? and say so. That person has been insulted and assaulted but still ask why the hell did you do that? (before reacting) He knows how to communicate but is looking for a reason to really feel insulted. That seems to be the Wcg staff. And then I reply after he had said hey why the hell did you do that? well you see I am a doctor and you had this huge blister growing on the back of your neck and I had to smack your face here and here:rolleyes: to save your life.

Well I was sure glad you didn't punch my lights out for doing that.

That is what if continued by the wcg team will keep them cool and allow them to drop thier fist on things and then act after all the info is in even if at first if seemd to insult them. That is why bakers team reacts the way they do. They do not want to make time to get it all together, if they don't like it tuck it under the matt. "It will all go away"? It never ever will. If I as a doctor stood there and let the guy die and then the family finds out I was right there and didnt do anything about it as I am bound by law (being an MD) then they are sueing the pants off me and taking my house and car...and my dog and noone knows whats going on and why?

Before these guys act they take a quick time out and have a look at both sides and write back to MM or Matrijn with a cool calm head and hand and really then are they able to write such a heart felt reply as to what they feel should happen. We never had that from the start with baker and I could prove that but again it would raise more questions than answers, and that is a communication break down.

Movieman
09-16-2006, 08:41 AM
Bis mine.
You see ulterior motives.You see competitors even though you confess that the points don't matter.
I see Victor as a successful buisinessman who puts his heart where he thinks it belongs.
Rammie: I'll tell you from the heart, I don't give a sweet crap about points for myself and thats the God's truth. I have some fun with them but I have no ego thing to see myself at #1 on the team or on anyone's stat page.
Points to me are just a tool that used in competitions help to bring people into the teams and those competitions help to put a little flavor into what can be a very boring task. There are a lot of people who just will not crunch a project without some sort of competition to add that little "extra" to it.
Are they wrong? I'm not going to judge anyone's motives, I just thank them for joining in and the why part is their business.
As to Victor, your right. He's a sucessfull businessman who does what he can with the resources he has. The reason I posted what I did is that a lot of people have asked me if he was coming to WCG and the answer is I honestly don't know so I thought I'd say it publically.
My apologies if I offended you, and made you think that all I was after is points.
I always beleive in putting my money where my mouth is;
To make that point I'll be glad to put my machines on your account for the next 6 months.
If that doesn't tell you what I think of points, nothing will.
That's not BS pal, send me your email and login to WCG and my machines will be in your account before the weekend is over.

carl.h
09-16-2006, 12:04 PM
My login is Car.......:devil:

Off Topic: Mike047 is trying to slavetrade some Teddies girls...He`s promised us 50 machines for one....:stick: ;) :D

Movieman
09-16-2006, 01:17 PM
My login is Car.......:devil:

Off Topic: Mike047 is trying to slavetrade some Teddies girls...He`s promised us 50 machines for one....:stick: ;) :D
Make it 53...:rofl:

phicks
09-16-2006, 01:54 PM
I think one of the Teddie gals would accept that offer. :p:

carl.h
09-16-2006, 02:05 PM
OOooh she`s so cheeeeeeeaaaap.....:D

phicks
09-16-2006, 02:24 PM
Don't you wish. :p:

Movieman
09-16-2006, 02:43 PM
OOooh she`s so cheeeeeeeaaaap.....:D
Hey Carl: At age 54 your standards drop and your hairlinne recedes.
As Mike is even older than I am I can see the 50 machine offer.
Now are any of the ladies interested in 3 xeons systems?:D

Firechicken
09-16-2006, 08:07 PM
Hey Carl: At age 54 your standards drop and your hairlinne recedes.
As Mike is even older than I am I can see the 50 machine offer.
Now are any of the ladies interested in 3 xeons systems?:D

I tell you what I'm not a lady and I might not be cheap:D , but at this point I would sure dress up in my wifes stuff, squat with the ladies in the bathroom:rolleyes: :D :eek: and have lots of long he said she said hen sesssions on the phone with all her friends for some xeons at this point:eek: :woot:

Edit: Hell, I'd even jump out of a cake:D

[XC] hipno650
09-16-2006, 09:08 PM
i am very impressed with wcg!!!!!! even the website is professional!!!!! more so the rosetta's! i would love to see the spritual leader of xs dc teams come rto us. as mm said. not for the rigs but for his wisdom, leadership and knowlage!!!!!! even if he brang one p2 400!!!!!! hope he comes to wcg!!!!

oh and lets make this guys year and kick easynews right in the nuts!!!!!!!!

[XC] mysticmerlin
09-16-2006, 09:21 PM
I tell you what I'm not a lady and I might not be cheap:D , but at this point I would sure dress up in my wifes stuff, squat with the ladies in the bathroom:rolleyes: :D :eek: and have lots of long he said she said hen sesssions on the phone with all her friends for some xeons at this point:eek: :woot:

Dang a "tough farm boy" will do Mrs. Doubtfire for some Xeons. Anyone want to start up a collection to see this one? :banana:

Firechicken
09-16-2006, 09:23 PM
oh and lets make this guys year and kick easynews right in the nuts!!!!!!!!

You bet your ass were gonna!! even if I have to wear a dress and become a spy, slip in a grab some of thier rigs to slow them down a speed us up:D

Edit: To Mysticmerlin: Desperate times call for desperate measures:D

feedmemonster
09-17-2006, 12:39 PM
This thread made me switch my rigs over from QMC and SOB the minute after I read it! Luckily, i just finished a test in SOB :), but now I am all aboard the XS WCG Pain train!!

P.S. My first Dual Xeon rig will be up next weekend:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

feedmemonster
09-17-2006, 12:41 PM
Edit: NOO! double post.

brot
09-17-2006, 12:47 PM
Edit: NOO! double post.

We dont care as long as you stay in wcg ;)

thanks for joining,... it is really a hard fight here, and we wanna win it.

feedmemonster
09-17-2006, 12:51 PM
I guess you can say I got the "bug";)
And, I have a feeling it won't go away unitl I see XS beat out EasyNews
(or any other team for that matter) as the undisputed WCG champs.

[XC] serlv
09-17-2006, 01:23 PM
This thread made me switch my rigs over from QMC and SOB the minute after I read it! Luckily, i just finished a test in SOB :), but now I am all aboard the XS WCG Pain train!!

P.S. My first Dual Xeon rig will be up next weekend:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Excellent! Welcome to XS~WCG. Great to have yet another teammate!

[XC] serlv
09-17-2006, 01:27 PM

Why's that? You already have a board and all, just waiting for some Xeons?

RAMMIE
09-17-2006, 03:30 PM

My machine's efficiency are not in question .
My question was asked and not answered here.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1723005&postcount=15

meshmesh
09-17-2006, 03:56 PM
My question was asked and not answered here.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1723005&postcount=15

I saw the question before, but I did not understand what answer you are expecting.

Will you please be kind to elaborate?

RAMMIE
09-17-2006, 04:07 PM
I saw the question before, but I did not understand what answer you are expecting.

Will you please be kind to elaborate?

This team is obsessed with being numeru uno regardless of the path to get there.
I crunch because I believe in the goals of the project.
Harkening back to the Rosetta fiasco I was ashamed at the way some members of this team portrayed themselves at the Rosetta forum.
Don't want to see that again.The easiest way for me is to not be associated with those members.

Crunch on!

Movieman
09-17-2006, 04:15 PM
This team is obsessed with being numeru uno regardless of the path to get there.
Obsessed? No..driven,competitive yes, obsessed no.
Think about the name of this forum. It isn't "WimpsRUs" Don't you expect competitive guys?
Look at the rigs you own? Not a wimpy one in them.
What other path would you suggest we take?

Me too..I don't crunch crap just cause they will give me points.

Harkening back to the Rosetta fiasco I was ashamed at the way some members of this team portrayed themselves at the Rosetta forum.
Me too, and I was one of them but what would you have done? Seriously, What would you have done?
Your making a lot of statements tonight, well, how about some alternatives?
How would you have handled being called a cheat day in and day out?

Don't want to see that again.The easiest way for me is to not be associated with those members.

Crunch on!
Neither do I and that is why when one member at the WCG forum decided to crap all over me on 9/11/06 I didn't get into a screaming match with him. I emailed a admin there and let them take care of it.
Best of Luck to you.

lv_dicedealer
09-17-2006, 04:20 PM

I believe the answer is:

To the top, crushing the little whiners along the way all the while using their beloved unoptimized client.... In another thread, I said that I wanted to stuff up their &*^^%()!#$

RAMMIE
09-17-2006, 04:33 PM

I believe the answer is:

To the top, crushing the little whiners along the way all the while using their beloved unoptimized client.... In another thread, I said that I wanted to stuff up their &*^^%()!#$

I'm sure Xteam can do that without my contribution.Carry on.

RAMMIE
09-17-2006, 04:38 PM
I can understand how you feel. I was involved in that mess at the Baker Forum and I said some things that I'm not particulary happy with.
I'm human and when I had 3-4 guys calling me a cheat day in and out I lost it at times.
Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best of luck in it.

Your making a lot of statements tonight, well, how about some alternatives?
How would you have handled being called a cheat day in and day out?

They weren't calling just you a cheat.They were calling this team a cheat.
I remember something from my early childhood.You know it "the old sticks and stones thing"

rob725
09-17-2006, 05:07 PM
Rammie,

I also saw your question and that you had opted out a couple days ago. The question is a little difficult for a couple of reasons.

First, "team" is a little bit of a misnomer for a group of cycle-donators who volutarily agree to have their points aggregated and meet in cyberspace to for a little comraderie, to help each other out, to egg each other on and to share with others who probably have way more top-notch computers than they need (or at least would like to.)

There's no real strategy; the only way to get more team-production is to get more cores on the job. Sure we can do a few things, but we're mostly limited to using our sigs to let others at xtreme systems know what's going on.

And what seems to be going on with this team is that everyone really likes the idea of having their computers crunch for medical science. The competition, IMHO, seems to be tongue-in-cheek and serves to motivate us to get others to join in with us and to keep it interesting.

I'm obviously new to the team and don't know anyone very well, but really appreciate how friendly and helpful everyone is here. Also, having an unnatural fondness for computers and for trying to squeeze performance out of them, I couldn't think of a better group to crunch with.

I think if we continue to help others (or even ask others for help) at XS they will see our sigs, check us out and hopefully throw in with us. So, one thing I think is important is that we have stickies at the top of this forum about our commitment to medical science, our commitment to wcg and clear information about how to get going.

I think it's fun to crunch with a team. I think it's fun to set unbelievably high goals and then pull together to try and reach them. I think it's even more fun to do it with a bunch puter-lovin, overclockin, phase-coolin, quad-corin maniacs and then blow right past the "slow and reliable" crowd.

Which is one reason I'd hate to see you go.

Movieman
09-17-2006, 05:40 PM
They weren't calling just you a cheat.They were calling this team a cheat.I remember something from my early childhood.You know it "the old sticks and stones thing"
And at that time I was the team co-captain so I answered and yes, I did take it personally. I really like a lot of the guys here. It's not just the competitions, it is the people here. There are things I could tell you about some of these people that would really surprise you. Warm caring generous people and at my stage of life I've learned that what is important IS the people you meet and get to know.
I've meet excellent people here from all over the US, HongKong,Canada,Denmark,Britain,Israel,Holland,Ger many,Venezuela,Vietnam,France, and just lately a guy of Egyptian heritage.
Talk about a cultural mix!
Yes, I'm off topic but not really. It's the people that matter and as different as we are, with the many different cultures, we meet here, get together for a goal of helping a good medical project and yes, we have some good natured fun while doing so.
If there are screams of stomping this or that team, so what? It's all in fun.
I tease about us beating Free DC but I stop over there and they are a great group of people.
We harassed the living hell out of the DPC when we were chasing them in Rosetta and there were a few over the top moments but a crazy $50.00 pair of wooden shoes brought the two teams together as friends.
I posted on their forum with the help of Jaco here because my Dutch is like my Swahilli, non existant, and was greeted as a friend.
This is what we are all about. You have to step back and see the bigger picture and also lighten up a little.
There's no reason why you can't have some fun and do good work at the same time.

lv_dicedealer
09-17-2006, 05:41 PM

I would be out of my mind if I believed that everyone on the team crunched for the same reasons. We all have our reasons, some more personal than others. I personally crunch because I enjoy building pc's and needed to find a good use for them once built. That is how I came across these characters. I enjoy the bantering amonst the team and even between other teams; however, the debacle which began on Rosetta and continued over into WCG by Dagorath has provided me a new reason to crunch WCG... I feel the need to help the team crush Dagorath and any other whiners out there that feel the need to brandish the term 'cheater' directly towards Team XS.

STEvil
09-17-2006, 05:52 PM

This is the crux of your issue, I think. With the way you have faced this question to us I can only see that you believe we will use any method to get to the top regardless of moral or ethical issues. I say you have never been a part of this team if that is what you believe.

Crunch on!

If I am to use a crediting system to show my input vs anothers input and thus make it worth my while to buy more overpriced hardware to satisfy my need to be competative, then that is my issue. Would you rather I gambled it all away, or was a booser?

Unless you meant something different I would think this team deserves an apology.

Yes, i'm angry.

[XC] hipno650
09-17-2006, 05:56 PM
Rammie i respect your chioce and wish you well!!!!!:) but i hate to see you go:( i can tell you were this team is headed.........strait to the top!!!!!!!:rocker: there is no stoping this train!!!!!!:rocker: i wish you could be apart of it!!!!!!! i curch the team cuz of the family and friendships that delevolp and ya i may be sort of like rob725 and not know very well but i am still just a pround to be apart of the team!!!!!!!!!!

however i still am happy to see you stay on the grid because it's all about the sci. !!!!!!!

best of luck!:)

ya i may seem like i want number 1 and i do BUT!!!!! the science comes FIRST!!!!!!!! and i pushing everyone on the team to get number 1 we get more science done becuase not everyone has a personal conection like some of us.

Haltech
09-17-2006, 06:05 PM

So be it... If you want people to kiss your ass, youve come to the wrong place pal...

[XC] riptide
09-17-2006, 09:36 PM
Hey RAMMIE> I remember that question now. Your first line ":banana::banana::banana::banana: my sig" was your answer to me when I said "I like your sig". Don't expect answers when you throw dirt in people faces.

Movieman
09-17-2006, 10:24 PM
Let's let him go in peace.
Everyone has an opinion. His is his and that fine..
I hate to see anyone leave the team but that's life..
He's still crunching WCG and thats a good thing.

meshmesh
09-17-2006, 11:02 PM
message deleted.