PDA

View Full Version : X-Fi drivers will not install

OCme
09-15-2006, 11:59 AM
Hi all,

I hope I can find some help here because I really am at wits end. I have a Asus P5WDG2 WS Professional MB and I am using MS XP-Pro SP1. I am not having any luck installing the Audio Drivers for Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic. First, I tried to do a typical install of the software and it stopped after it was 77% completed during the installation of the Audio Drivers. Next, I tried to do a minamal install of the software and it stopped after it was 70% completed during the installation of the Audio Drivers. The third time I tried to install only the Audio Drivers from the CD and it failed after it was 40% completed. Each time the installation fails the program freezes and locks up and I have to do a soft-off, and when Windows boots up again it too locks up and freezes. I have the card installed in the first PCI slot. The only other card installed is the VC. I have the HD Audio Controller disabled in the bios. Each time I have tried to install the X-Fi software before doing any updates to the OS, and no other drivers being installed so as to conflict with it. Please help! What am I missing???

Thank You,
Ocme

Helmore
09-15-2006, 02:58 PM
Maybe you should just try to install the drivers after you have fully updated your OS, the upgrade to SP2 might already be enough. Just my guess as I do not have any experiences with the kind of problems your are running into.

OCme
09-15-2006, 05:21 PM
Maybe you should just try to install the drivers after you have fully updated your OS, the upgrade to SP2 might already be enough. Just my guess as I do not have any experiences with the kind of problems your are running into.

Well, it's been my expierience that SP2 usually creates more problems than it it solves, but at this point I'm willing to try anything... any one else have any other suggestioons?

Finally, I got it in....Thanks for your help & reccomendations Helmore, but they didn't seem to work. This is what I did to get it in. First, I installed the sound card in the first PCI slot closest to the CPU. I booted into the bios & disabled the HD Audio, serial & lpt, & firewire(1394), I don't use them any way. Then I booted into the OS & disabled the sound card in the device manager(Audio device) where there was a yellow question mark. Then I did a full install of the Sound Blaster software. I re-booted my PC then went back into the hardware manager & re-enabled the sound card. The sound card and all the software work fine now.