PDA

View Full Version : Get New Nano 8GB Or Wait?

MikalCarbine
09-15-2006, 09:49 AM
I've been waiting for the new nano's to come out for a while now before buying one (didn't wait to get an old one knowing something new was coming out). Now they are out and it's very tempting to order one right now, but should I wait for some reviews to start filtering in? We all know that the original nano's suffered from the easily scratched screens, could there be any big problems with the new ones?

Vapor
09-15-2006, 10:55 AM
I've been waiting for the new nano's to come out for a while now before buying one (didn't wait to get an old one knowing something new was coming out). Now they are out and it's very tempting to order one right now, but should I wait for some reviews to start filtering in? We all know that the original nano's suffered from the easily scratched screens, could there be any big problems with the new ones?The easily scratched screens were waaaaaayyyyyy overexaggerated. I have one that's almost a year old, without a scratch, used daily for ~9 months before I started having problems with iTunes and put it away. Within a month or two of it being out, there were already $10 kits that were REALLLY thin pieces of plastic. One of my friends had one on her nano and it was imperceptible (but she accidentally put her nano in with her keys one day and she did have a scratch next to the wheel, but this film really did seem to a be good prevention mechanism). /rant

The new ones are good, the reviews won't say otherwise and they'll still be a status icon, esp. the black 8GB-only one ;)

Pressure
09-16-2006, 01:35 PM
But why the 8GB Nano? The 30GB iPod has the same price.

Vapor
09-16-2006, 01:47 PM
The nano is significantly smaller....

MikalCarbine
09-16-2006, 02:37 PM
and doesnt use a hard drive.

I'm stopping by apple later this week to pick one up :p

ugp
09-17-2006, 05:43 AM
The first nanos and video models so scratch very easy. I don't know who your kidding. I sell a crap load of iPods daily and all of them not in a case are completely scratched...my first one I was extra careful with and still scratched.

[XC] leviathan18
09-17-2006, 05:46 AM
same as mine even i have it in a rubber case the thing is scratched its annoying really....

i dont like the way they look now the alu cover doesnt attract me like the glossy black i have now

UZ7
09-17-2006, 11:24 AM
I just got the 2nd Generation 2GB iPod Nano... the actual casing is much better (Alluminum) and pretty durable. Gotta watch out for some of the 3rd party casings and accessories, just had to return one because it didn't fit (though it did fit on a friend's 1st Gen nano).

Personally all that scratch issue is dependent on where you put your ipod. I love the new version though, the headphones are also newer... Screen is much brighter than the first gens and the batteries supposively last up to 24hrs (vs 14hrs). My bro bought it for me when it came out (12th, wasn't even on display yet), and didn't get it till yesterday so battery wise dunno yet. They moved the headphone port a little more to the edge so if you have any accessories that you've used for your first nano you would have to buy a new one or modify it a bit.

MikalCarbine
09-17-2006, 01:02 PM
I picked one up last night, 8G black, I like it :p

I also bought a cover but it was for the first gen nanos, so I need to bring it back o.o;

UZ7
09-17-2006, 03:17 PM
I picked one up last night, 8G black, I like it :p

I also bought a cover but it was for the first gen nanos, so I need to bring it back o.o;

Yeah I had a hunch that it wasn't going to fit... But you know those Best Buy workers, not always up to date... But they think they do :rolleyes:.

Edit: For those still looking into buying one, heres a link to whats new/difference:
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ipod/review/apple-computer-ipod-nano-second-generation-2-4-8gb/