PDA

View Full Version : Preference changed, BOINC doesnt

v0dka
09-12-2006, 11:21 PM
Yesterday I changed one of my devices profile, and no matter how often I load BOINC or set it to communicate with the servers the damn thing keeps using the wrong profile! Now I have to manually set it to always work, which is a pain in the ass.

Is it normal for this to take so long?

carl.h
09-13-2006, 01:12 AM
I think WCG only updates once in 24 so it may take a little time, also depends on World clocks etc.

itznfb
09-13-2006, 02:28 AM
normaly i change a profile, and click update, and it's done. you sure you set it correctly in teh WCG device profiles menu?

v0dka
09-13-2006, 02:40 AM
100% positive, checked it ten times already. Next to the device I'm changing the profile of, the right (working, I used this one from the beginning and on other PC's) profile.

As soon as I strat BOINC it says location home, prefs home. Which should be another one.

I'll just wait another day or so.

meshmesh
09-13-2006, 04:21 AM
Ok. Boinc gets your profile and preference settings when it communicates (updates) with the server not when it restarts. IE: when it uploads a result or fetches a new WU. You should be able to force the change by issuing the "Updat" command in BOINC mamager.

And no, this has noithing to do with updating the team credit scores which occurs once a day (individual credit scores are updated every six hours).

If you are having too much trouble (I don't know why), or want to limit a certain PC to special settings you can always use the override (http://boinc.berkeley.edu/prefs_override.php) file. Whatever you put in there takes precedence over the global settings.
There are a few typos on the page, essencially the "start" should be "end" on two occasions (you will see what I mean when you look at the link). Also the last setting does not seam to work (what a shame) at least in my case.

Firechicken
09-13-2006, 09:04 AM
Wonder for some reason if it is trying to finish the wu's in your catch with the first prefs, then dosnt want to change until the wu's with the prefs set for them are done. Then Start the new wu's with your new prefs?. But I really doubt it, I can always update them right away by hitting the update button from the boinc client. If waiting dosnt fix it then that file should do the trick, I could try and write up a little program with point and click buttons to do it as sugested in the link meshmesh posted but I dont think I am really into it though right now. If there were a demand for such a thing I might try my hand at it, but there are far better coders here than I.

meshmesh
09-13-2006, 04:48 PM
With regards to hitting the update button, I think you need to be sure that the WGN project is the one selected before issuing the update.

Unfortunately, the way BOINC is implemented, each project you are attached to has it's own database record of your global preferences. When you change the preferences on one web site, the project does not contact all the others to syncronize. Boinc depends on the installed client to propagate the changes each time it contacts a project, in order to align itself (yes it is a strange way to do things). This system does create all kind of strange pitfalls, such as the need to have overlapping attached projects on separate machines, etc... in order for the multiple databases to align correctly.

In a nut shell, when you update your preferences on a project web site, you need to select this particular project in the first tab then hit update so that your xml reflects the change. Other records on the other attached projects will be automatically updated latter when you report other WUs to them. In the mean time they will remain inconsistent.

Now, what happens if the client reports a WU to another project first other than the one you made the changes to? get the picture? Talk about the need for a central repository for records...Anyway.

If you want to get out of this headache completely, use the override file to specify your preference settings (with the benefit of being machine specific also).

Hope this makes things clear.