PDA

View Full Version : Mass email to get them crunching

v0dka
09-12-2006, 03:43 PM
To your own personal email contact list.

I know I havent done it yet and I imagine lots of you fanatic crunchers havent done it either. Maybe a long shot but it willl definately bring in some firepower. No doubt about that, and with the standard BOINC clients its a breeze to set up.

Ofcourse they will have to join our team after signing up. ;)

I heard something about a new mass mail to the XS members too? NJKid?

Movieman
09-12-2006, 03:44 PM
Your reading my mind..we are talking about it tonight..:D

CyberDruid
09-12-2006, 03:48 PM
Spamming for cures...I might have to give that a shot...

[XC] mysticmerlin
09-12-2006, 05:44 PM
I heard something about a new mass mail to the XS members too? NJKid?

That would be the push we need! Is that a problem?

Movieman
09-12-2006, 05:48 PM
That would be the push we need! Is that a problem?
No, just takes app 12 hours to do..Ever try sending 30,000 emails 50 at a time?
Last time NJKID was up all night doing it. I "sat" with him to keep him awake.:D

vaio
09-12-2006, 05:51 PM
Thanks but no thanks......there you can go to sleep 0.4 seconds earlier :D

[XC] leviathan18
09-12-2006, 06:46 PM
i have spam app somewhere in my old hdd..... i preffer to contact close friends and put them to crunch

Hassan
09-12-2006, 07:15 PM
Why spam for WCG? There are other places in DC Vault that we could improve our standings with...

[XC]thewildblue
09-12-2006, 10:21 PM
We could do with more firepower in CPDN, QMC, SOB and Tanpaku to name but a few.

A number 1 isnt far away in QMC, just a million points (we are in 2nd place there) but currently we are only outproducing 1st by about 9k per day. A QMC drive would have us sorted in a fortnight with a good lead also. Currently from what I understand QMC scores like the old rosetta and will do so until October some time so now is the time for us to take our lead.

v0dka
09-12-2006, 10:51 PM
Why spam for WCG? There are other places in DC Vault that we could improve our standings with...

Because that is our main projecht, the gap is immense and theyre throwing dirt at us.

But ofcourse this was meant for all projects, so I put it here not only in the WCG section, if youre currently involved in of the other projects please recruit your own contacts as much as possible!

I think that for a mass mail like NJ and MM are organising you need one single clear goal, and a reason like taking a dump on XS' name, so that means to single out one project and in this case its WCG.

[XC] riptide
09-13-2006, 12:53 AM
Well. Here is my opinion on mass mailing. this is a power card that should be only used a handful of times. Maybe once/twice a year. Using the powa card too often, and it will be received as spam.

Since this the Vault, I will add to Hassans statement. Currently a great deal of Free-DC's fire power and their famous names have got a Big gun pointed at the head of SOB. We should try and match our friendly rivals. Or at least get within one order of magnitude of their daily scores. :eek:

This project is unique insofar as their is only so many prime numbers left in the Sierpinski group. If you discover one, you and the team get carved into the history books for all time. And they are been found every so often.

In other projects if there is a breakthrough it will be accredited to the 'DC community'. And rightly so I suppose!

As an aside - Tell me this. Have Xtremesystems appeared on any publications after CASP7? The publications which we thought would happen? I'm guessing no, but maybe I'm wrong.

Movieman
09-13-2006, 01:40 AM
Well. Here is my opinion on mass mailing. this is a power card that should be only used a handful of times. Maybe once/twice a year. Using the powa card too often, and it will be received as spam.

Since this the Vault, I will add to Hassans statement. Currently a great deal of Free-DC's fire power and their famous names have got a Big gun pointed at the head of SOB. We should try and match our friendly rivals. Or at least get within one order of magnitude of their daily scores. :eek:

This project is unique insofar as their is only so many prime numbers left in the Sierpinski group. If you discover one, you and the team get carved into the history books for all time. And they are been found every so often.

In other projects if there is a breakthrough it will be accredited to the 'DC community'. And rightly so I suppose!

As an aside - Tell me this. Have Xtremesystems appeared on any publications after CASP7? The publications which we thought would happen? I'm guessing no, but maybe I'm wrong.
I agree on the email, 1-2 times a year max..
I know everyone has a different take on what project is important to them and there are lots of good ones.
I had a little fun with SOB. Haven't run QMC yet and not up on what it is about so I can't comment on it. Last I heard there was an issue with claiming over 1000 points but thats all I know on it.
I'd like to see us concentrate on WCG but QMC also seems to be important to the guys here.
I see the DC apps in 2 distinct flavors: the medical apps which I consider serious and the others which I consider as fun projects but without the same importance.
I have another machine being setup this week and will toss it on QMC to help but will leave my 3 main machines on WCG.
As to publications from CASP7, I haven't heard a thing and I doubt I will.
Dr. Baker will not communicate with me as I was a little bit too hard nosed for his genteel personality.:rolleyes:
An interesting aside: I checked some stats yesterday and you'll never quess what I found.( or maybe you will)
The biggest complainers over at the Rosetta forum, the ones who pushed for all the change, you know, those sweet individuals from the BS group( Boy is that appropriate): they all seemed to essentially stop Rosetta almost to the day that the new credit system was put into place.
The got the changes they wanted and then left the project.
I was tempted to post that there with links to back up my comments but I doubt it would last 5 minutes on that forum before the mod nazi's removed it.

[XC] riptide
09-13-2006, 02:00 AM
I was tempted to post that there with links to back up my comments but I doubt it would last 5 minutes on that forum before the mod nazi's removed it.
I'm tempted.! It'll be done!

http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/forum_thread.php?id=2271

EDIT: http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/rah_top_predictions.php

Here we see a few of the team mentioned. Maybe we'll be famous after all!

Jose
09-13-2006, 02:55 AM
I will also like to point out that soon our opponents at the vault are going to be the Dutch Power Cows. When that time comes, we are going to need starting new teams in the projects we don't have them, crunch in the projects we are low ( which I am sorry to say, will include crunching in barfy SETI) and doing mopping up activities to get us to top 10 and , yes number one positions.

That is why Diablo is running many projects (including WCG) I want to be number 1 in the vault,

Jose
09-13-2006, 03:01 AM
I'm tempted.! It'll be done!

EDIT: http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/rah_top_predictions.php

Here we see a few of the team mentioned. Maybe we'll be famous after all!

I will pay you to go to a gay bar so you are tea-bagged by a male stripper with humongous teabags the day Baker mention us in his publications.

So consider yourself safe :rofl: : I am with David on this one: he wont mention us in any of the official publications.

[XC] riptide
09-13-2006, 03:03 AM
Well i for one won't be doing SETI. In this time of fossil fuel scarcity and energy problems, I have considered writing a letter to my nearest MEP (read: for US people this is Member of European Parliament) asking that SETI be made illegal, in Europe, for the gross wantin wastage of energy as it is a completely fruitless endeavor. I must try and get a few estimates going on power wastage.

v0dka
09-13-2006, 03:55 AM
Well i for one won't be doing SETI. In this time of fossil fuel scarcity and energy problems, I have considered writing a letter to my nearest MEP (read: for US people this is Member of European Parliament) asking that SETI be made illegal, in Europe, for the gross wantin wastage of energy as it is a completely fruitless endeavor. I must try and get a few estimates going on power wastage.

Hahah

Fantastic :)

[XC] riptide
09-13-2006, 04:51 AM
Hahah

Fantastic :)
Vodka... beleive there will be crazy laws in future about energy usage. just readin my monthly pc magazine the other day. the eyes of focus are no been put on PC component manufacturing. Seems like to make all the components for a PC an enourmous amount of energy is expended... and then runing them is also been looked at by some philistine tree huggers! I'm all for the enviroment and for proper insulation in houses etc etc... but you may see in years to come compnonent manufacurers may be required to produce parts that use low energy... and that may have a knock on effect in performance. Damn the bastages might ban vcore adjustments :eek: in motherboards. (Well that is an Xtreme example) but Vodka, your in Europe too, not sure what the Dutch groups are saying about energy usage?

v0dka
09-13-2006, 06:15 AM
There are some examples of how saving energy is stimulated, for example cars with high consumtion to mass ratio get a penalty in taxes, while cars that have a good ratio get a bonus. This energy category system probably exists in the UK too.

Forbidding high energy goods is not something even discussed as far as I know. I think the economic argument and the rising energy prices are enough to reduce waste of energy. An active role from the governement like with the example above is important though.

It would be very difficult to completely ban some types of high energy activities that seem more or less useless to most, because it would be very hard to draw a line, to form a definition on what is energy waste and what not. And the legislation would have to be in line for all EU countries which makes the whole idea almost impossible because EU guidelines often fall over definitions - the exact problem of a law like that.

Firechicken
09-13-2006, 10:40 PM
If you guys do any mailing or any other things like that, please if there is anything I can do to help out somewhere let me know.

[XC] mysticmerlin
09-13-2006, 11:14 PM
If you guys do any mailing or any other things like that, please if there is anything I can do to help out somewhere let me know.

Well spam' em , Just look in the Intel / AMD section and see who had the clocks and invite them in on PM to join WCG!! :banana: That is the just of it.

Martijn
09-13-2006, 11:37 PM
Well spam' em , Just look in the Intel / AMD section and see who had the clocks and invite them in on PM to join WCG!! :banana: That is the just of it.
Well, I'm not going to do that, I hate to be begging... :D

[XC] riptide
09-14-2006, 04:14 AM
[QUOTE=riptide]I'm tempted.! It'll be done!

QUOTE]
Read the thread. That ph#$%er Mod.Tymbrini swiped my post and a whole raft of other posts! The bloody cheek I tell ya. I notice from one of the posters Whl that Saenger had replied to mine, among others.

Movieman
09-14-2006, 04:35 AM
Some basic rules:
It's OK to PM anyone you know to ask them to join and a simple email to friends is ok. It's not OK to go asking in all the other sections of XS as that is considered spamming.
There is no fast and easy way to add 100 members to the team.
I learned that in Rosetta. We ask, if the person comes onboard with us great, if not thats life and we ask someone else. There's lots of guys on XS that will come and help if asked and lots that just won't do DC ever.
The thing to remember is that DC is a very small part of XS but it has grown a lot in the last year and is still growing.
Patience my friends, we'll get to our goal.
I was thinking about this last night and I think the best short term move we can do is to devout a machine to QMC to help those guys get to #1 then ask them to help us here after they get to #1.
The power is here, unity is what is needed.

meshmesh
09-15-2006, 11:28 PM
I was thinking about this last night and I think the best short term move we can do is to devout a machine to QMC to help those guys get to #1 then ask them to help us here after they get to #1.
The power is here, unity is what is needed.

I don't know why I have a nagging feeling that once the new credit system is introduced into QMC as it moves out of beta status (probably after the Geneva meeting), that they will wipe out (zero) all credits obtained during the beta testing phase.

Although no one said this on their forum, a couple of comments gave me this impression. Something is being cooked there behind closed doors. I don't know what, but it just doesn't feel good.

Just my personal hunch.