PDA

View Full Version : Can the Laing D5 handle this?

Makubex_GB
09-11-2006, 09:35 AM
How well can a Laing D5 handle a 2 x 120mm rad and a 2 x 120 heatercore in the same loop?

Right now I have: Storm Rev.2 + LP Maze 4 + Swiftech MCR-220 Rad + CoolingWorks Single Bay Res + Laing D5 + ~6' of 1/2ID tubing

I recently bought a Weapon Heatercore and I want to add it to my current loop, but I'm not sure of how well can my Laing D5 handle both, the rad and the heatercore, in the same loop.

Should I wait until I have enough money (which will NOT be any time soon) to buy a DDC+ (18W) + Plexi top to add the Weapon Heatercore?

nealh
09-11-2006, 11:00 AM
why do you need 2 rads? this will add more restriction to the loop..your heatload does not seem that great to exceed a 120.2 rad...
well I guess that really depends on the radiator type

JoeBar
09-11-2006, 11:51 AM
I too agree that two rads in the same loop is a bad idea. Just decide what u want most or install this only. Or even better upgrade to a 3x120 rad.

Makubex_GB
09-11-2006, 04:11 PM
I know I'll be adding more restriction. I don't wanna upgrade to a 3 x 120 for now cuz I'll have to mod my case again.

Thanks for the advice but my question still has not been answered...

Will it be too much for the pump? Will the restriction be so much that it'll cancel the extra cooling that the second rad can offer?

My room temps are high, so I wanna get my temps as close to ambient as possible. Right now I'm about 6~7C off.

Makubex_GB
09-12-2006, 04:35 AM
bump for questions gone unanswered. :)

dnottis
09-12-2006, 04:45 AM
Well since I doubt anyone else is running their system that way... lemme through in a speculation vote. I'd say the D5 can handle it, 1 will do the job, 2 would do it better. I don't see the reason to add another radiator, honestly I think your temps will be higher due to restriction. I tried adding a second 120 rad back when I was using a single rad and the restriction killed my temps. I went up about 5 deg putting in a second rad.

So will 1 D5 handle it - not as well as 2 would. Is it worth the screwing around to add a second rad - nope.

MrBean
09-12-2006, 05:04 AM
I know I'll be adding more restriction. I don't wanna upgrade to a 3 x 120 for now cuz I'll have to mod my case again.

Well, let's look at it from another angle - have the rads in parallel, then the pump would be subjected to even less resistance than one rad setup. should keep flowrate up, and temps down.

But, honestly, too much investment for very small return.

dnottis
09-12-2006, 05:36 AM
Problem is the thermochill should be able to return water to ambient - so anything more is just going to make performance worse.

Marci
09-12-2006, 06:19 AM
Well, let's look at it from another angle - have the rads in parallel, then the pump would be subjected to even less resistance than one rad setup. should keep flowrate up, and temps down.

But, honestly, too much investment for very small return.

Reduce velocity and you reduce turbulence and therefore reduce performance.

Makubex_GB
09-12-2006, 06:58 AM
Thanks for the advice fellows. Then I think I'll just substitute my current rad for the heatercore, and just have the heatercore alone. Best option, right?

Levish
09-12-2006, 07:14 AM

Thanks for the advice but my question still has not been answered...

Will it be too much for the pump? Will the restriction be so much that it'll cancel the extra cooling that the second rad can offer?

My room temps are high, so I wanna get my temps as close to ambient as possible. Right now I'm about 6~7C off.

6-7c over ambient?

Just curious what sort of difference do you think getting better than that will make?

nikhsub1
09-12-2006, 07:44 AM
Reduce velocity and you reduce turbulence and therefore reduce performance.
True, but with rads in parallel each rad is as effecient as the other as they are both receiving the same temp water. In a rad series scenario the second rad is WAY less efficient than the first due to the first already cooling the water. As we all know (or should know) the higher the fluid temp and the cooler the air the greater the efficieny of any rad. Bring that delta down and efficiency goes down as well. With that said, I'd 95% of the time run rads in series.

THE JEW (RaVeN)
09-12-2006, 09:46 AM
I run 2 X 6002-X, 2 X Bonneville heatercores, 1 X MCW50, a tupperware res, and a DD Intel Maze4 chipset block all off of a D4. It works well for me.

(dual heatercores were for proposed TEC project that never got off the ground)

Makubex_GB
09-12-2006, 09:54 AM
6-7c over ambient?

Just curious what sort of difference do you think getting better than that will make?
Yeah but that's while in Idle, I forgot to mention. :p:

I run 2 X 6002-X, 2 X Bonneville heatercores, 1 X MCW50, a tupperware res, and a DD Intel Maze4 chipset block all off of a D4. It works well for me.

(dual heatercores were for proposed TEC project that never got off the ground)
How does it compare with just one heatercore?

Makubex_GB
09-12-2006, 07:52 PM
True, but with rads in parallel each rad is as effecient as the other as they are both receiving the same temp water. In a rad series scenario the second rad is WAY less efficient than the first due to the first already cooling the water. As we all know (or should know) the higher the fluid temp and the cooler the air the greater the efficieny of any rad. Bring that delta down and efficiency goes down as well. With that said, I'd 95% of the time run rads in series.
I understand what you're saying about rads in series, but that's mostly true if the rads are one right after the other (in actual series). The way I was gonna have it was pump>rad>CPU>heatercore>GPU>res>pump, so the heatercore wasn't going to be that inefficient because the water going into it would had already been heated up by the CPU. So it would've been: heat up at the CPU, then cool down in the heatercore and then heat up again with the GPU and pump, then cool down in the rad, then back to CPU and so on.

Marci
09-13-2006, 02:21 AM
Research for you... find the answers to the following questions:

1) How much does water temp go UP by as it passes thru a CPU Block?
2) How much does water temp go DOWN by as it passes thru a radiator?

The answers and some maths will tell you how beneficial your 2 rads in series idea is.

Makubex_GB
09-13-2006, 03:59 AM
Of course, knowing that would be ideal but those answers are not very easy to find. I'm not saying that the double rad idea is good, I was replying to nikhsub1 post. Following the advices here, I already decided to substitute my rad for the heatercore, instead of having them both.

Marci
09-13-2006, 04:08 AM
Those answers are VERY easy to find... they're all on this forum, in this section.

Makubex_GB
09-13-2006, 05:09 AM
Impossible. Because whatever answer I might find won't be with my same CPU, same GPU, same rad, same airflow thru rad and same ambient temps.

Marci
09-13-2006, 06:55 AM
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1352508&postcount=77

Makubex_GB
09-13-2006, 07:54 AM
I'll have to quote myself.

Impossible. Because whatever answer I might find won't be with my same CPU, same GPU, same rad, same airflow thru rad and same ambient temps.
My typical room temps are over 30C, so the air moving through my rad is not very cool. I'm not using Thermochill so the efficiency in cooling of my Swiftech rad will be less. My CPU is an overclock Prescott (which are way hotter). Like I said, it's not the same as my setup so results will vary. Plus even from your test you can see that 2 x P160s cooled 3~4C better than 1 x P160. I was just gonna use the heatercore but you're convincing me to use both, the rad and the heatercore, in the same loop. :p:

THE JEW (RaVeN)
09-13-2006, 09:09 AM
How does it compare with just one heatercore?

Couldn't tell ya. I put the system together with the intent of TEC'ing it, but just watercooled it at first to get it up and running. After seeing how much of a pain in the rear it would be to TEC the PC-DL, I decided to just leave it. I never ran the system with just one heatercore (2 off the bat).