PDA

View Full Version : To all the XS WCG GUYS!!!!

Movieman
09-11-2006, 09:07 AM
A request from me for the good of the teams name:
Please use nothing but the stock BOINC manager app on WCG.
This is important as this comments of cheating crap has got to stop.
Let's show them what XS has and leave nothing for them to complain about!
I will be uninstalling and reinstalling BOINC today.
Yes, I will lose a little work but this is more important.
Thanks.
Dave

[XC]melymel
09-11-2006, 09:12 AM
Ok then SOB for all my intels from now on then, I'm sorry but I can't stand to see my cpu's potential wasted because some babies can't put any money into a project and can't compete, they need banning.... :(

itznfb
09-11-2006, 09:15 AM
nelsoc just locked the optimised boinc client thread. i'm guessing MM will be hearing from him soon.

WesM63
09-11-2006, 09:24 AM
What thread? Am i missing something?

EDIT: I read through it, scumbags. I'll see what I can do MM, it takes forever to d/l stuff on dial-up. :(

itznfb
09-11-2006, 09:28 AM
our thread at WCG got crapped all over, and then the Optimised BOINC client thread obviously blew up into a flame war. these were at WCG forums, not here.

my opti's only worked on one machine anyway... which isn't on WCG anymore.

Martijn
09-11-2006, 09:28 AM
It is time to kick some ass. I am now removing my optimized clients as well. Please do so as well... This is for the sake of the team.

rob725
09-11-2006, 09:33 AM
No problem. I don't think it will make much a difference in points, given that we usually only get a fraction of claimed due to quorum system. I noticed that our points is tracking pretty closely with our results.

Martijn
09-11-2006, 09:35 AM
No problem. I don't think it will make much a difference in points, given that we usually only get a fraction of claimed due to quorum system. I noticed that our points is tracking pretty closely with our results.
Indeed. Our output will remain roughly the same.

LETS KICK SOME ASS

[XC]melymel
09-11-2006, 09:35 AM
Ok then SOB for all my intels from now on then, I'm sorry but I can't stand to see my cpu's potential wasted because some babies can't put any money into a project and can't compete, they need banning.... :(

OK I've had a quick read to get me up to date and realise why you are doing this, you have my support, after I finish my current wu's opti's are coming off. :toast:

RSmura
09-11-2006, 09:40 AM
I am NOT changing my existing 70 clients but will not install the opti client on any other machines. They want to call me a cheater, I don't give a damn. I'm only doing it for the science anyway and don't care about my points. They can reset me to zero for all I care... Piss on em!

EDIT***: Ok, as you can tell from my other thread, I am changing my damn clients. Anyone else that has to change a lot of clients, feel free to use the script I put in the other thread. If you think my script sucks, you can keep that to yourself! :)

brot
09-11-2006, 10:19 AM
Hey, that would be really a great thing. I myself havent used any optimized clients, as for linux-32 bit there arent any really optimized clients. Things look otherwise for 64 bit linux though...

DAK1640
09-11-2006, 10:29 AM
This is ridiculous !!!:slapass:

Martijn
09-11-2006, 10:31 AM
Let's just put this aside for a while. I got a reply to one of my questions I send them some 3 days ago. This means they are reading your e-mails, which I think is good enough...

Let's just hope I get a reply to the important mail I send them.

cupra
09-11-2006, 10:42 AM
LETS KICK SOME ASS

and we are on the way baby :toast:

Got Chow
09-11-2006, 11:13 AM
If anybody wants, I could put up the 5.4.11 (non-optimized, standard client) files. While I'm not part of the XS team, I really do enjoy crunching for WCG and I really enjoy reading up on XS. WCG, compared to any other project that I have crunched with, they really have been the greatest bunch of admins and supporters. I'd hate to see the forum get crapped on by every person on there who isn't using an opti client and being floored about points.

I mean, the end result that we are all looking for is... RESULTS. Points are a fun way to compete and get to #1, but the results are what really matter. I'm sure you guys as a team can make it to the top, with an opti client or not. Let me know if there's an interest to host those files up so you guys don't have to re-install BOINC.

Martijn
09-11-2006, 11:17 AM
If anybody wants, I could put up the 5.4.11 (non-optimized, standard client) files. While I'm not part of the XS team, I really do enjoy crunching for WCG and I really enjoy reading up on XS. WCG, compared to any other project that I have crunched with, they really have been the greatest bunch of admins and supporters. I'd hate to see the forum get crapped on by every person on there who isn't using an opti client and being floored about points.

I mean, the end result that we are all looking for is... RESULTS. Points are a fun way to compete and get to #1, but the results are what really matter. I'm sure you guys as a team can make it to the top, with an opti client or not. Let me know if there's an interest to host those files up so you guys don't have to re-install BOINC.
Want to join? :D :D

Indeed it really are the results we are working for, not the points. Thanks for the heads-up :)

RSmura
09-11-2006, 11:18 AM
Anyone looking to switch your clients back enmasse, please check this link:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=115457

rob725
09-11-2006, 11:31 AM
If anybody wants, I could put up the 5.4.11 (non-optimized, standard client) files.

That would be great, if you don't mind. I wasn't smart enough to keep a clean copy and would hate to lose the work in progress. Thanks! :)

RSmura
09-11-2006, 11:47 AM
Actually, you can stop the service, delete the boinc.dll and boinc.exe files and the run the install again choosing a REPAIR and that will save your WIP.

brot
09-11-2006, 11:55 AM
http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download_all.php?min_version=5.4.11&dev=1

itznfb
09-11-2006, 12:03 PM
or if you don't have the installer, and don't want to wait for the download:
http://www.itznfb.com/BOINC/BOINC_5.4.11.zip
http://www.itznfb.com/BOINC/BOINC_5.5.0_SSE2.zip

Hymay
09-11-2006, 12:38 PM
I'll follow the team's lead, but my one concern is - isn't removing the opt clients giving Dags exactly what he wants? After seeing that stream of refuse he's posted, I'd refuse water from him, even if I was burning. Likewise, I wouldn't piss on him to put a fire out if he was burning.

I don't really give a rip about the points, they get castrated anyway, but I wouldn't want him to have even the slightest thought that his ravings have gotten him what he wanted in the first place.

itznfb
09-11-2006, 12:40 PM
actually, they think that by us not using optimised clients that our points claimed at the end of the day is going to drop

Movieman
09-11-2006, 12:43 PM
I'll follow the team's lead, but my one concern is - isn't removing the opt clients giving Dags exactly what he wants? After seeing that stream of refuse he's posted, I'd refuse water from him, even if I was burning. Likewise, I wouldn't piss on him to put a fire out if he was burning.

I don't really give a rip about the points, they get castrated anyway, but I wouldn't want him to have even the slightest thought that his ravings have gotten him what he wanted in the first place.
The point is to smash them and leave them with nothing to say or complain about..that simple..
They think we are cheaters and the only way we can be on top is by cheating.
ok, we remove anything that can be called cheating..

Absolute_0
09-11-2006, 12:46 PM
I'm not going out of my way to do work for them, they can change their clients to optimized. I only have 1 computer that runs about 70% of the time so it doesn't matter much.

RAMMIE
09-11-2006, 01:08 PM
Is there a specific client we should run or just the newest?

Sorry for plagarizing RSmura's sig.

mike047
09-11-2006, 01:35 PM
Actually, you can stop the service, delete the boinc.dll and boinc.exe files and the run the install again choosing a REPAIR and that will save your WIP.

A couple of questions for who ever can help.

I don't find BOINC as a "service" anywhere. I have found the boinc.dll but can't find an ".exe" anywhere.

Does the option for REPAIR automatically come up???

I keep an original boinc client on a thumbdrive and have used it repeatedly so the client is no problem.

I have 28 boxes going at the moment, so if this isn't easy....I am reluctant to change. I will use the standard client on all subsequent boxes, though.

meshmesh
09-11-2006, 02:18 PM
I think I can wip up the 5.9.4 two files from a DVD backup I had before. Someone to host them please and I will dig them up.

brot
09-11-2006, 02:24 PM
I think I can wip up the 5.9.4 two files from a DVD backup I had before. Someone to host them please and I will dig them up.

I would host it :)

DAK1640
09-11-2006, 02:27 PM
Someone please post a SIMPLE guide for us to remove the Optimised clients as easily and painlessly as possible. There is far too much tech info for me to wade thru. Most of us have several rigs, and I want this to be easy, without killing WIP or at least minimizing it.

meshmesh
09-11-2006, 02:55 PM
@Brot: Thanks. Will dig them out right now from tape backup.

@DAK1640: Give me half an hour please. Will try it on myself first. Thanks.

[XC] leviathan18
09-11-2006, 02:57 PM
my opinion send a email to the WCG staff ask if cruncher optimized files are a cheat in WCG if they consider it as a cheat we should to remove them if they say it isnt a cheat lets stick to them i care :banana::banana::banana::banana: about what think those morons.

Dave please if you can help me sending that email to the staff over wcg as my english is far from the best so we can have and official statement if they say we dont care about that we keep them if they say its cheating we remove it.

thats my 2 cents

DAK1640
09-11-2006, 03:00 PM
Excellent suggestion leviathan18, I'm with you...:toast:

Hymay
09-11-2006, 03:09 PM
Might also be helpfull to set up a list of what "normal" benchmarks should be for different processors/speeds. Switched my two boxes back, and still having trouble with erratic benches.. and have no frame of reference for what ballpark they should be in with the castrated client.

Or has someone figured out what the problem is that is causing the erratic benches?

[XC] hipno650
09-11-2006, 03:11 PM
i will keep the optities on untill we have tryied levis idea!!!!!!! after all most people have voted for him and haltech as captians!!!:D not to say that your idea is bad mm but mabye the WCG people will act differently than Baker did.

afireinside
09-11-2006, 03:15 PM
my opinion send a email to the WCG staff ask if cruncher optimized files are a cheat in WCG if they consider it as a cheat we should to remove them if they say it isnt a cheat lets stick to them i care :banana::banana::banana::banana: about what think those morons.

Dave please if you can help me sending that email to the staff over wcg as my english is far from the best so we can have and official statement if they say we dont care about that we keep them if they say its cheating we remove it.

thats my 2 cents

yes, this needs to be done. I'm not removing it until we get an official statement on it. Some bad team isn't stopping me.

[XC] leviathan18
09-11-2006, 03:20 PM
well we have to go standar, movienman got the email from WCG and we need to move to standar client so guys please lets change and lets kick some asses dont let this to stop you crunching we are here to take n1 and lets take it fast

[XC] hipno650
09-11-2006, 03:23 PM
ok now i will take them off.:( :p: :D

afireinside
09-11-2006, 03:24 PM
well we have to go standar, movienman got the email from WCG and we need to move to standar client so guys please lets change and lets kick some asses dont let this to stop you crunching we are here to take n1 and lets take it fast

Really? :( How much is this going to hurt my score?

[XC] leviathan18
09-11-2006, 03:26 PM
not that much your score is subjetive to the quorum so i guess you will be more or less the same lets do this so we wont have problems in this project

brot
09-11-2006, 03:42 PM
Hey levi, it would be very intresting what exactly they wrote, can you share plz ?

eddy
09-11-2006, 03:44 PM
I went back to the stock client
Deleted the files name boinc.dll, boinc, boinccmd, boincmgr.
Download the stock client.
When it asked if I wanted to repair or remove it, I chose repair.
Installed it.
Started it up.
WUs back to where they were before.
Ran the benchmark.
Low numbers.

DAK1640
09-11-2006, 03:44 PM
I still need to know how to remove the opti & install standard without starting all over...:confused:

mike047
09-11-2006, 03:45 PM
I am also interested in the context of the email.

I have a lot of boxes to change and it will take time to do it.

Should I just shut everything off until I can get them changed over?????

This is going to be a lot of trouble as I have already asked for help changing with no responses:(

[THANKS Eddy:D]

[XC] hipno650
09-11-2006, 03:48 PM
i just unistalled bionic downloaded the new one and installed it and it had all my wu's right there ready for me!!!!! ran the benches and low numbers:D

DAK1640
09-11-2006, 03:50 PM
How do we get the message out to everyone on XS running WCG?

[XC] flat-four
09-11-2006, 03:54 PM
I reinstalled on my main, and after stopping the client on my other boxes, copied the boinccmd, boinc.exe, and boinc.dll over the existing files through the network. All of them reloaded no problem with no lost work.

meshmesh
09-11-2006, 04:21 PM
Put a step by step in a separate thread here (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=115489)

RSmura
09-12-2006, 03:50 AM
Is there a specific client we should run or just the newest?

Sorry for plagarizing RSmura's sig.

You are hereby notified that unlawful use of RSmura's sig must cease and decist. Any further use of said sig will result in leagal action by RSmura including, but not limited to, civil action in City Court, Marshall's fees, Attorney's fees, blah blah blah

Ahh, just kidding. Glad you liked it. Feel free to use it where ever you see fit.

Rob.

RSmura
09-12-2006, 04:04 AM
Mike047, YHPM

Got Chow
09-12-2006, 05:35 AM
Sorry for the late reply guys. Looks like itznfb put up the files. Essentially, if you have the crunch3r optimized client, all you have to do is exit the BOINC manager or stop the service, then rename the boinc.dll and boinc.exe files to say... boinc.dllold and boinc.exeold, and then download itznfb's files and put in the boinc.exe and boinc.dll files into C:\Program Files\BOINC folder (the default installation folder).

Thanks for the invite to join XS, but I am part of a small team that I have been with for a long time across multiple projects. I am going to stay with these guys for quite a while. Plus, my little rigs probably won't help much compared to some of the power houses you guys have here. ;)

Martijn
09-12-2006, 06:28 AM
Sorry for the late reply guys. Looks like itznfb put up the files. Essentially, if you have the crunch3r optimized client, all you have to do is exit the BOINC manager or stop the service, then rename the boinc.dll and boinc.exe files to say... boinc.dllold and boinc.exeold, and then download itznfb's files and put in the boinc.exe and boinc.dll files into C:\Program Files\BOINC folder (the default installation folder).

Thanks for the invite to join XS, but I am part of a small team that I have been with for a long time across multiple projects. I am going to stay with these guys for quite a while. Plus, my little rigs probably won't help much compared to some of the power houses you guys have here. ;)
Every little bit helps, but if you want to stay with your own team, we respect your opinion :)

Got Chow
09-12-2006, 07:09 AM
Thanks Martijn. XS has a great team but I would also stay loyal to my fellow teamies. :)

[XC] riptide
09-12-2006, 07:12 AM
Thanks Martijn. XS has a great team but I would also stay loyal to my fellow teamies. :)
What team is it by chance?

Magnj
09-12-2006, 07:15 AM
ugh, this is getting annoying. I'll do it when I get around to it.

Martijn
09-12-2006, 07:19 AM
ugh, this is getting annoying. I'll do it when I get around to it.
Your benches will be lower, but your scores won't be, as they have always been lowered by the quorum system... It may sound harsh, but your scores won't be affected, really :D

Raiden Zero
09-12-2006, 07:52 AM
k, just switched back to non optimized files... as long as they dont hurt my score (they shouldnt, right?) i dont care :>

raiden

Hymay
09-12-2006, 08:07 AM
I was only getting maybe 1 in 20 results that paired up with another opti.. so a small boost daily from 2-3 wu's but that was about it. There might be a little drop, but not much. At best, I figured it made a little back for the other 95% of wu's where the e6400 got castrated.

rob725
09-12-2006, 08:08 AM
Some points here and there, but overall, pretty much the same.

Got Chow
09-12-2006, 09:03 AM
What team is it by chance?
It's Team Andrax. Small group but many of us know each other and it's a great team. I'm one of the higher output crunchers there and I will continue to help them out. :)

[XC] leviathan18
09-12-2006, 09:14 AM
you can tell them to move overhere :p:

[XC] hipno650
09-12-2006, 03:02 PM
It's Team Andrax. Small group but many of us know each other and it's a great team. I'm one of the higher output crunchers there and I will continue to help them out. :)

mabye you make your team a subteam of xs?????:p: :p: :D :D :D it's always good to be apart of a good team!!!!!:)

vaio
09-12-2006, 04:50 PM
Ahem, who's to say the Andrax crew aren't a good team???

Bloomin cheek :D

Chowbow is an XS lurker huh?......Is JC floating around too? :D

phicks
09-12-2006, 05:00 PM

Well they do have that strange JC guy. :p:

Jose
09-12-2006, 05:02 PM

They are better than a good team: they are a community of very good people. As such they could make a great contribution to XtremeSystems if they decide to become XS_Andrax.

To be honest: we at XtremeSystems would gain by the addition of another community of dedicated crunchers, honest , fun loving people to our community.

Join us or not : the people at Andrax are another example of the great people that join distributed computing; the ones that make the experience a good one. I am very happy they are our friends and colleagues.

[XC] hipno650
09-12-2006, 05:03 PM

you misunderstand!!!!!!!!!! i meant that he is lucky to be apart of a good team!!!!!! as am i. and i totally respect his move to stay with his boys!!!!!!! i meant to imply that it is a good team!!!!!!

sry about the speallllliiinkg:D

vaio
09-12-2006, 05:04 PM
Well they do have that strange JC guy. :p:

Patty makes a good point :D

Jose
09-12-2006, 05:13 PM
Patty makes a good point :D

Strange???? We do not fear strange :rofl:

Strange and dedicated are sine qua non requisites to be a member of XtremeSystems ; the other being the ability to go off topic in any thread.

vaio
09-12-2006, 05:16 PM
Off topic.......hmmmm, never done that myself so I'd best stick with my own lil team :D

phicks
09-12-2006, 05:36 PM
You mean threads are suppose to have a topic. :p:

Sorry I'll be quiet now. :D

vaio
09-12-2006, 05:39 PM
Ugh, stats guys at sieve have "lost" my team :eek:
Sheesh, you slave away trying to get somewhere and they lose your bloody team.

Just can't get the admins these days :rolleyes:

vaio
09-12-2006, 05:40 PM
oops, wrong forum :D

Movieman
09-12-2006, 05:45 PM
You mean threads are suppose to have a topic. :p:

Sorry I'll be quiet now. :D
What's a topic?:D
Hey, Lets have some fun, gear up this team and go heat up WCG's servers till they glow!
Call your friends,family,neighbors, customers or just plain pester strangers and get them on WCG with us.
No unapproved borging..Approved Borging is encouraged.
Everyone do what they can and we will do well..
I want to see that million a day fall over in the next week.
That I KNOW we can do!;)

vaio
09-12-2006, 05:47 PM
Hope servers cope better than grids clockwork one :D

[XC] hipno650
09-12-2006, 07:29 PM
What's a topic?:D
Hey, Lets have some fun, gear up this team and go heat up WCG's servers till they glow!
Call your friends,family,neighbors, customers or just plain pester strangers and get them on WCG with us.
No unapproved borging..Approved Borging is encouraged.
Everyone do what they can and we will do well..
I want to see that million a day fall over in the next week.
That I KNOW we can do!;)

mabye set a 2 days for us to do 2mill like this coming sat and sunday. that would give us time to get the sigs up and running and time for me to get the severs at my dads work running:smoke: :bsod: .......i hope:D and my lappy and the "TANK" running

STEvil
09-12-2006, 08:16 PM
I have moved one rig to the standard client I will change another later.

I am not changing by request, but rather that I am evaluating several options. Movieman partially knows my intentions, so unless he expresses concern you guys shouldnt need to worry... ;)

Got Chow
09-13-2006, 12:42 PM
vaio,

Yes, been an XS lurker for quite a while. I assumed you were on here too with your OCing adventures. ;)

We do have that strange JC guy, and he is a great strange guy. :D Even halfway across the country, he helped me with my job hunt when I first got out of college. He's also always upbeat and has always had a good attitude. Thanks for the offer to join the team guys, really. Nothing wrong with the XS team, we just like staying as the Andrax team. :)