PDA

View Full Version : limiting CPU usage

joshd
09-10-2006, 01:54 PM
Is there a way to limit the CPU usage on BOINC? this constant 100% is making my PSU too hot to be comfortable with... i havent found anything on the WCG online config thing, i was just wondering if there way a way.

i want to limit it at 50% or so.

[XC] 4X4N
09-10-2006, 02:15 PM
Go to my grid at WCG. You might have to log in. Then to device manager. There it will have listed how many computers you have running wcg. Under device profile, click on one. It should be default. Once in, the first option is processor usage. You can type in anything you want. Hope this helps :)

joshd
09-10-2006, 02:33 PM
i can only see project weighting... which isnt it.

rob725
09-10-2006, 03:05 PM
I'm not sure there is a way. Boinc has been asked for it, but I don't see a way to change it in "global_prefs", an xml file that resides in in your system's programfiles->boinc directory.

If you are running dual core, you can limit to one.

Here's a thread on boinc where someone was wanting the same thing:

Boinc resource usage thread (http://boinc.berkeley.edu/dev/forum_thread.php?id=936)

edit: spelling

DAK1640
09-10-2006, 03:28 PM
3 Step process, look at the pix...Go to "My Grid" and follow the pix...

meshmesh
09-10-2006, 03:48 PM
If you have a multiprocessor CPU, you can set your general preferences to "use at most 1 processor" for 50% CPU limit.
If you are using a single processor CPU, you have no options under BOINC 5.9.x as far as I know (some one please correct me).

There is a third party program that can be downloaded that "throttles" back CPU usage. It is not easy to use and involves editing the registery (i will not recommend it, so if you want to go that route google for it yourself - sorry).

I understand tha the new released version of BOINC has added such a facility. I don't have it installed as I use the 5.5.0 version. There appears to be a new general preference that addresses this issue particular issue in response to user requests. It is listed on the BOINC official web (http://boinc.berkeley.edu/prefs.php) page. Please note: that since this is a general preference setting, and since WCG web page does not appear to offer the ability to modify it via the web interface (as it seems from the posted step3.jpg above), it may be necessary to dig into the client state xml file and modify it manually.

So: Either dig out and use at your own rist the third party throttle utility, or check out the new (unoptimized) BIONC version and expect to edit the clientstate.xml manually (not a big deal). If the latter works, please post here and let WCG know to add this setting on their web page.

Good luck.
Note: May I ask why your power supply is heating up? This is not typical behaviour. Is it overloaded? Clogged with dust and needs some air blown into it? Fan not actually working and getting sometimes stuck?

joshd
09-10-2006, 10:19 PM
hehe, it is a dell 305W, with a P4, the mobo, and a 7900GT on. I think it should be alright getting hot, it is just I would probably rather it didnt.

When gaming, I am never on for more than 2-3 hours or so, however BOINC runs for much longer (if i leave it overnight for example)

I COULD buy a new PSU, as the one in here is standard ATX, but I dont think it would fit in the case length ways, as there isnt much room between the end of this PSU and the optical drives.

DAK1640
09-11-2006, 01:57 AM
hehe, it is a dell 305W, with a P4, the mobo, and a 7900GT on. I think it should be alright getting hot, it is just I would probably rather it didnt.

When gaming, I am never on for more than 2-3 hours or so, however BOINC runs for much longer (if i leave it overnight for example)

I COULD buy a new PSU, as the one in here is standard ATX, but I dont think it would fit in the case length ways, as there isnt much room between the end of this PSU and the optical drives.
All contributions help :toast: IDK if I would have said it was a Dell though, after all this is XS...:banana:

[XC] riptide
09-11-2006, 04:46 AM
Now this is something I was thinking about recently too. However this was for programs in gereneral. Is there a tool available that you can specify a thread/process/program and set its limit in windows? Maybe if there was, that would also be of use to use Josh! ;)

PS. Modify the dell case for that ATX. Believe, me with some cutting tools and a 4lB lump hammer. Its also very therapeutic. i did with a gateway. All the PCI slots were in the 'wrong' place. So i made new ones... well i just made a Big hole. Its really in bits... but hey It holds an ATX mobo and thats all that matters.

meshmesh
09-11-2006, 05:29 AM
Now this is something I was thinking about recently too. However this was for programs in gereneral. Is there a tool available that you can specify a thread/process/program and set its limit in windows? Maybe if there was, that would also be of use to use Josh! ;)

@riptide and @ joshd

Ok. I give in. You can dowload Threadmaster from here (http://hjem.get2net.dk/anyland/threadmaster/download.htm). It will limit CPU usage by application, and do what you want and more.

Please read the readme.txt very very very carefully, then read it again.
Please backup the registry etc.... before editing.

Disclaimer: Threadmaster can ruin your day if you are not careful. Use at your own risk.

[XC] riptide
09-11-2006, 11:01 AM
Mesh. Thats a pint I owe you Pal. (Jesus, next time I'm in UK I have a few people to buy drinks for Mely, InSanCen, TWB, Mesh :eek: ) I think we'll all get together and have a 'booze fest'. In ministry of sound VIP section of course :cool:

rcofell
09-11-2006, 07:16 PM
@riptide and @ joshd

Ok. I give in. You can dowload Threadmaster from here (http://hjem.get2net.dk/anyland/threadmaster/download.htm). It will limit CPU usage by application, and do what you want and more.

Please read the readme.txt very very very carefully, then read it again.
Please backup the registry etc.... before editing.

Disclaimer: Threadmaster can ruin your day if you are not careful. Use at your own risk.
I was just looking through the Boinc add-on software page (http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download_network.php) and noticed they happen to have it there too, doesn't look too hard to figure out, but as with anything involving the registry you better be careful and have a good clue what's going on otherwise bad things could happen.